AD-10 and AD-15 Shipping

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Murindo, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Demko's.jpg

CS 4-Max, AD-10, AD-15 and an early full Ti custom AD-15

The CS AD-10 and AD-15 are extremely well made. I'd say 95% of the fit and finish of the 4-Max which of course costs twice as much. The action on the custom is much smoother than the CS AD-15 but the CS version will smooth up over time.

I'm very impressed. So much so that I'll be selling the custom to add some funds to my retirement account.

2. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Has @Cold Steel Knives mentioned what kind of steel the lockbar is made out of?

I know on a lot of Andrew's custom AD10's he uses a chonk of 440C.

3. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Awesome! Thanks for the comparison shot. How is the action on the CS AD10? I've one incoming, and I'm hoping it is smooth.

4. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I’m contemplating an AD10 or AD15. I haven’t owned a CS in years other than my machetes I still have. I really like the 10 but am afraid it is a little bulky for carry. The 15 looks really neat though. If you guys chose one what would it be?

5. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Will be getting the 15 soon. Already have a 4-Max, so don't need another one so similar (yet). Really interested in the scorpion lock, and hoping it may be my new EDC.

6. mantzao

mantzao

Jun 16, 2011
    I will buy one for sure. Probably the AD-15. Only waiting for it to hit european dealers.
    Does anyone know when that is?

7. jonnyfgroove

jonnyfgroove

Feb 21, 2008
    Starting to get the hang of the AD15. It was awkward at first, but it's breaking in and I'm getting used to the opening/closing methods. I carried it all day at work yesterday and didn't really notice the extra weight in the pocket (I normally carry a Recon 1). The 15 has an amazing rock solid feel in the hand, and of course the lockup is perfect. My only gripe is that the blade is ground a bit unevenly (the flat ground section comes up higher on the non presentation side), but it's pretty much a non issue at the price. Overall very happy with the purchase. Awesome job Cold Steel!

[​IMG]

jbmonkey, Kels73, Wharn and 1 other person like this.
  8. moshow9

moshow9 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Is the AD15 in stock anywhere? Please PM if necessary.

9. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I don’t think they’ve landed at KnifeWorks yet so keep an eye on them.

moshow9 likes this.
  10. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    15503853412724398426753497880375.jpg 15503853723787096569782820944049.jpg

got mine. great knife. about perfect but the pocket clip and rough g10 I dont care for. gonna have to round the edges where the clip sits. still a pocket shredder. not as tight or ridiculous as the recon1 as an example but still not well thought out. kinda disappointing everything is perfect but cold steel cant get pocket clips right even nowadays.

yeah I know some of y'all will say yours is perfect and not a pocket shredder and ya like it etc.

11. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    Available at this moment when I checked.

moshow9, Popsickle and AF like this.
  12. Popsickle

Popsickle

Jul 25, 2010
    I can’t imagine I’ll be getting the AD-10. My custom was HUGE, and the AD-15MG I had was just right. My 15 will be here tomorrow

moshow9 likes this.
  13. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Back in stock at KnifeCenter.
    In the context of Cold Steel, the AD-10 is definitely not huge. It’s a mini 4 Max.

moshow9 likes this.
  14. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    been playing with my ad15. love the size and shape of it. not sure I like the scorpion lock more than the tri-ad though? still too early to be fair......time will tell......

gonna need the ad10 now.......

jonnyfgroove likes this.
  15. moshow9

moshow9 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Thanks AF! Just placed my order for the AD15. :)

Now to see if I can wait until next payday for the AD10.

AF likes this.
  16. Popsickle

Popsickle

Jul 25, 2010
    The only way you can’t call the ad10 huge is in context of Cold Steel. Also in fairness my custom was a 3.75” blade.

AF likes this.
  17. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Got my AD10 in today. I love it. The action is ridiculous smooth, even more so than the custom AD10 I had. However, I sent it back to exchange for another because it had vertical bladeplay. Kind of frustrating since I specifically noted on the order to check it for that very thing. I just hope they have more in stock when they receive it for exchange.

18. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Got my AD-15 today. Looks good. I will need practice with the lock. It’s awkward for me now. I’ll probably Dremel gently under the clip because the handle texture is a pocket shredder.

skyhorse, jonnyfgroove and jbmonkey like this.
  19. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Small amount of practice and now it feels more natural to close. As has been said, there's a definite fidget factor to this lock which might add to the popularity compared to the Tri-Ad. It's very smooth.

skyhorse likes this.
  20. gastonian

gastonian

May 20, 2012
    I got my AD10 in today and am very impressed! I am always a little nervous when I buy a CS that the Tri-Ad lock is going to be incredibly stiff to close like some models I have owned in the past. That is not the case with the AD10 that I received. Incredibly smooth action out of the box. Also, I want to give CS credit for being the most consistent in delivering a razor-sharp factory edge. I do not remember ever receiving a new CS that had a poor factory edge. I can't say the same for CRK, BM, ZT, Hinderer, or Spyderco. Finally, the ergonomics of the AD10 in hand are amazing. Time will tell, but the AD10 looks like it will take the place of my XM-18 as my tank knife.

Quiet and jonnyfgroove like this.