AD10 Mods... anyone?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by bladesign, Feb 22, 2019.

1. bladesign

bladesign

Feb 15, 2019
    The blade pivots on the Teflon, the PB stay put (don't spin) and protects the G10.
    The G10 would wear with time I believe, if it has something spinning up against it.
    That's just a guess on my part tho.

2. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Interesting, I wouldn't have considered that. Seems possible. If they just used a nylon washer and no PB then perhaps the nylon would wear from the g-10.

3. bladesign

bladesign

Feb 15, 2019
    nylon/teflon wouldn't feel as solid as the PB, as many cheap knives are made that way.

4. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Nice guess, but the blade is sandwiched between two aluminum liners, which are, in turn, sandwiched with the two G10 handles. The washers never contact the handles.

Check out our BF brother & fellow Demko-manic Jimislash's EXCELLENT AD-10 takedown vid:

That hasn't been my experience.

Without actually visually checking and/or taking down a knife, I can't ever tell if a blade's riding on PB or nylon.

Andrew Demko himself mostly puts nylon washers on his customs.

And Demko's knives aren't "cheap" in any definition of the word.

I don't create the knives, I just buy em and use them <most of the time ;):oops::p>, and I trust if Andrew thinks they're a good fit on his designs, that's good enough for me....

I can say this without doubt, I've never had a nylon washer fail....YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Daniel, Mick_1KRR and AF like this.
  5. bladesign

bladesign

Feb 15, 2019
    Yup, I was thinking CS in general, not the AD10, youre right AD10 has liners, yet still has they nylons.
    If his customs have them, then there must be a reason... I don't know what it is.
    But I do like just PB like some ZTs, very smooth/solid once broke in.
    I know the CSs have very thin nylons - kinda transparent.

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  6. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I love bronze washers also, I'm truly not a hater.

I think :rolleyes: nylon may lend a little bit of slippery-ness factor <for lack of a more scientifical term> to the pivot.

Phosphor bronze is somewhat like that too, I believe, just less so.

If nylon & bronze didn't bring something else to the party, then why does every folder maker use them or bearings? Heck, just use steel washers for their toughness and durability if there's no added value, right?

And what's your problem with transparent very thin nylons? ;)
    [​IMG]

AF likes this.
  7. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    What about grinding the lock bar, to match the jimping in the liners and scales.

8. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    I just received my AD-10 and the clip has to go. It does look strong, but it is just too ugly to keep on it. I hate clips, anyway.

9. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    My only gripe w the ad10 is the clip is way too tight it needs to be slightly bent out. cant understand why it would be this way; its so tight and strong its impossible to get it in your pocket.

10. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Page 1 shows a better solution than bending out unless you’re ok with the clip not contacting the scale.

11. Hunter2053

Hunter2053

Feb 17, 2019
    Don't bend it on the knife!!!!!!

You will strip the screws. Bending can work (still dangerous) on thinner clips. The AD10 is so monster, it has to be removed before bending.

12. AF

Jan 14, 2000
    Yeah, it probably is a risk with such a strong clip. I've done it dozens of times with normal clips and never had an issue.
    On this clip, it's not over-bent so you'll end up with a clip that doesn't contact the scale. That drives me crazy.

13. Cold Steel Knives

Cold Steel Knives Moderator Moderator

Apr 16, 2013

Looks awesome!

vkp78, Daniel and AF like this.
  14. marrenmiller

marrenmiller

Apr 6, 2017
    From what I can tell, teflon washers lead to a slightly less rigid feeling pivot when adjusted for no slop. I can certainly tell a difference between teflon and PB when I have the knife open and am checking it vigorously for side to side movement, as I've done this mod to a bunch of knives and been able to feel the differences between the two washer types.

To really show this, all you have to do is close the knife and push the blade tip from side to side while in the handle. You'll likely notice teflon washers allow the blade to displace further than PB while both washer sets are adjusted to have zero gap between the washers and the blade. The tip of the blade on my AD-10 cannot be displaced easily when using bronze washers, but can be much more easily pushed around when using teflon washers. Both setups feel perfectly adjusted in terms of elimination of slop and having the right amount of pivot resistance.

Both setups feel perfectly fine in use and can be adjusted to the point of having no slop, but PB is definitely more rigid than teflon.

15. lovescamaros

lovescamaros

Nov 17, 2014
    the clip is pretty chunky!

16. bladesign

bladesign

Feb 15, 2019
    hence the mod, which makes it a bit less chunky and plain.