1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Add to the list of must haves (Do over)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by machineseventeen, Jul 5, 2019.

1. machineseventeen

machineseventeen

Apr 10, 2019
    Not counting suggestions for modern edc folder/flippers. You can't sling a cat without hitting one of those. What knives belong in every collection?

1. Buck 110. The knife that changed everything. Designed for hunters. Popularized by the tradesmen. Without it you probably wouldn't be reading this.

2. Boker Camp Knife. The same design has been in production for 150 years.

3. Linder Kentucky Bowie. 2006 International Knife Award Winner - Outdoor
    Every collection's gotta have a Bowie.

4. Microtech Ultratech Dagger. The ultramate in otf's.

5. CRKT Provoke. Never even considered a karambit until I held this one.
    A must, absolutely.

So what's missing here? Surely there are some obvious ones. I'm seriously interested in suggestions even if they're next level down, like a Boker Corn Knife for example.

Barlows, Tacticals, Bushcraft, Ballisong? You get the picture (maybe someday I'll learn how to upload some actual pics).

It'd be cool, ya know? I'm creating a family heirloom here. Thanks. All smiles.

2. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    A Sebenza of some variety and Hinderer designed Flipper of some make and flavor.

3. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I think these are "must haves":
    SAK Classic
    Opinel #8 Garden model
    Case Sod Buster Jr
    Case Peanut
    CRKT Minimalist
    Mora Companion
    Okapi

Henry Beige likes this.
  4. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    I'm on the lookout for the Nontron as, given my affinity for knives, seems like I should have a model that's been made continuously for more than 500 years. If going down a "historical significance" path, in addition to the ones mentioned above which are great choices, I would probably add a SAK Alox Soldier and Ka-Bar to the list.

5. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Also additionally I think there are no true must haves and more "should try sometime". Since it's all subjective.

6. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Mora Companion always comes up, but I'd replace it with a Mora 510 or a Mora Robust as must-haves. Or a basic wood-handled Mora like a #2 or #3. A multitool as well, like a basic two-layer Victorinox or a pliers-based multitool like a Leatheman, Gerber, or SOG. A machete type chopper is a good tool, too, but environment will dictate what sort. A thin Latin machete for lighter targets, a thicker one for woody materials, or a leuku or the Skrama for heavy stuff. And finally a real chopper like a light axe for true wood. I come at this like a tinkerer and outdoorsman, not a a tactician, though, so my ideas are about confronting chores, not danger.

I've thought about what I carried on the road when I graduated college in '89 and drove all over North America. I pretty much had it down then and would probably do the same if I could do it over again: 12ga shotgun for hunting and defense against bears and dangerous people, Victorinox for a multitool (Leatherman wasn't around yet), puukko for a fixed blade, shovel for digging and prying. Now I'd only add a light axe, a Bowie, a filet knife, and a revolver (all of which we acquired along the way, anyway).

Zieg

7. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    I think us in the knife world over think knives too much. My suggestion is for modern times living it town or suburb but not out in the wilderness or a farm or something.

I feel we all need a good stockman, an old hickory butcher knife and butter knives.
    I believe that covers it all.

8. rover

rover Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Most modern-times people would be covered by one of those sporks with a serrated edge.

FullMetalJackass likes this.
  9. machineseventeen

machineseventeen

Apr 10, 2019
    Roger on that my friends, and agreed so far . . .

6. Swiss Army Knife. I have a big ol' chunker I too got in 89 for my own walkabout/sabbatical. Literally toted that beast everyday for about 5 years thereafter. Also have half dozen Classic ltd

7. Leatherman. A mini for my book/edc bag and a full sized for my bug out. Check

8. This one has to be the Opinel #8, if the world makes any sense. A nice dark brown picnic model with leather lanyard for starters but also a #7 modified by my 82 year old still-woodworking father, and a #9 I'm about to mod myself. (I've snagged peasant knives from all over the world).

9. Kabar Fighting Knife. Was watching the movie Captain Fantastic, paused, went on Amazon and had one on it's way before I finished the show.

10. Mora Companion. And yes, two or three other varieties as well, gotta.

Don't have a Case Peanut, but I've got a texas toothpick. Traditionals are my focus, if I can be said to have one. I'd trade a Sebenza for a Beer Scout and a Tom's Choice.

There's probably only a few left but I think you can still get the 150th Anniversary Boker Camp if you're quick about it.

Nontron, Puukko, Okapi, gonna check 'em out, minimalist too.

Is there a classic filet? how 'bout a classic balisong?

slyraven likes this.
  10. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    My list of ten

1. pick a mora
    2. pick a swiss army knife
    3. pick a leatherman
    4. buck 110
    5. ontario rat
    6. pick a spyderco - endura, para, or delica prefered, but any would do
    7. bk 7 or 9 for a beefy tank knife
    8. opinel, any number you wish
    9. benchmade 940
    10. any custom from a reputable knife maker.

the end

11. machineseventeen

machineseventeen

Apr 10, 2019
    Sounds like we've been to the same school raven. Got everything on your list but a custom. Para, endura, don't have the delica but I like the steel will mini-intrigue. Osborne and RAT, yup. But, these are my edc's. I'm a carpenter and I put 'em to the test dang near every time I carry 'em. Have you tried the Civivi Baklash? I hate to admit it, but wow, for a budget flipper it's pretty hard to beat. I think they're gonna wind up raising the bar.

I'll probably customize a Para 2 one day, for the collection. Really is my all time fav.

And, I have a $400 limit. It's a personal thing. But, I've handled a few small custom fixed blades I oughta be able to bring in under that. Thanks

slyraven likes this.
  12. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    I lost my entire Spyderco collection last year as my house was broke in by theft's,i said I would stop collecting knifes at that point!really a hard thing to do!! so I ended up buying a new CRK large 21,my thougt being I should own one good knife, but for just around the house and to carry in shorts around town really thinking about the Spyderco Sage 2 as it was a grate EDC knife for me and I miss having it,:(

13. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    My "must have" knives are my knives.
    Your knives suck. :D

colin.p and 4mer_FMF like this.
  14. machineseventeen

machineseventeen

Apr 10, 2019
    I'm more of a reader. I rarely comment, let alone post. But, I've been having a chill-around-the-house, knife-goob kinda day, ya know? The question for me is always, "What else would make this thing better?"

After browsing forums, retailers, youtube, I got the brilliant idea of your basic google search.
    https://www.fieldandstream.com/best-25-knives-ever-made/ Awesome.

15. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    add this one to the old & continuously produced list - the mercator k55k, since 1867 non-stop, so it must be a great design, full flat grind in 1075 carbon steel (edit: it's actually c75 steel, which imho is a bit of an improvement over 1075, since it gives you 0.25% silicon, and a slight boost in Mn also)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_K55K

instead of black steel, I'd lean to the brass or copper handled version

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    willc likes this.
  16. machineseventeen

machineseventeen

Apr 10, 2019
    yup, dirk, guess lists like this are a little tired, but you nailed it. That's reason I gave it another go. Like standing at the front door checking your pockets. I know there's something I'm forgetting here.
    Dang Mercator, thanks

17. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Double do over on you.
    By the way you can change the title of your thread by placing your cursor over "THREAD TOOLS" at the top right side of your original post and then clicking on "EDIT TITLE".

YES most definitely.

That's when I got mine ~'82
    I still have it.

I know it sounds wimpy after your suggestions but I would add :
    A decent kitchen paring knife . . . say a
    J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL 31160-101 CLASSIC (~4 inch) or a decent Japanese paring knife with White Paper steel.

It can be enlightening performance wise. Actually that is what I EDC'd for many years after the 110. I made a sheath for the Henckels. I still have that to and my pardoner known here as The Chef uses it everyday in the kitchen.

Go to this LINK > > > and then third photo down to see the knife I mean and the folder with a similar blade that I now EDC in place of it.

This knife at this LINK> > > is similar though obviously more robust.

18. CPM3V

CPM3V Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    I would add a Fairbairn and Sykes fighting knife. Helps cover the dagger aspect.