1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Advice for a knife to take on hikes?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by stanwelks, Oct 14, 2013.

1. I cut you so bad!

I cut you so bad!

Oct 15, 2013
    These people are only half right. You CAN kill a mountain lion or a coyote with just a knife, as people have for thousands of years. However, you will find that most folders are nowhere near enough of a match for those aforementioned beasts. I recommend you carry a small folding knife for utilitarian tasks and a large, sheathed fixed blade on your belt for self defense against animals. I am assuming you can't/won't use a gun, which is what most hunters would recommend against carnivorous predators.

2. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    ^^^ This ^^^

Any of these will do you a great job, depending on what size you prefer. The F1 and S1 are both great all purpose knives. I have four F1s and two S1s in a variety of handle styles and would be happy heading off into the woods with any of them. Pair them with a good SAK - I like the Huntsman/Fieldmaster for hiking/camping because of the saw blade - and you are good to go.

As for wildlife, yeah good eyes and good shoes.

3. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    Check the discount stores for a US-made Buck 110 'Folding Hunter' - usually <$40 at discount stores. It's a lockback style - more secure than the slipjoints, like most SAKs. I've hiked/camped many times with one - it's an American icon type of knife and fully serviceable for everything from some larger whittling to making camp furniture. On the fixed blade side, the US-made Buck 119 'Special' is a super useful camping knife. Les Stroud, Discovery Channel's 'Survivorman', used one in several episodes. Expect to spend a few dollars more on it at a discount store. Both come with belt sheaths.

Stainz

4. cards94

cards94

Jul 23, 2013
    izula 2 and if you don't have a walking stick, find a nice solid piece to make one with a point to use as protection. you could also create a walking stick with a spear at the end by maybe attaching a fixed blade to the end of it.

5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    I prefer carrying a Swiss Army knife for my hiking adventures. You can go on the victorinox website and find the tool finder tool, where you can select the tools you would want on the knife and it will show you a match to something they make. Good luck getting your knife out fast enough if a mountain lion is stalking you. Coyotes won't usually go after a human alone, so you may want to grow a few more arms as well. I guess what I'm saying is, defense on a hike should be left to a firearm, using a knife in your head is a lot easier than using it in real life at the time in the situation. But my vote is for a Swiss Army knife, you'll be very prepared.

6. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Welcome. As referenced above, the answer to most questions is SAK, opinel and mora.

7. adc5

adc5

Jun 4, 2013
    Curious: what's the knife on the far right here?

8. SoCal_kid

SoCal_kid

Jun 11, 2013
    Ha ha ha nice

9. adc5

adc5

Jun 4, 2013
    For a good hiking knife on the smaller, lighter side, I'd pick an ESEE Izula, 3, or 4. For something a bit bigger try the Becker line. Both companies manufacture excellent knives (although I tend to prefer the sheaths on the Beckers). Be aware, these are all fixed blades, which are IMO much better suited to a hiking environment (FAR stronger, easier to clean and maintain, often more comfortable for prolonged use, etc.) But if you really want a folder, it's hard to go wrong with a classic Buck 110. I also like the KaBar MULE.

As for the mountain lions, coyotes, etc... Just get yourself a good .45. You'll have less problems that way. (But still, it's happened:
    http://igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2002/cougar_attack_vancouver.html) How in the dickens he managed to open that knife while GETTING ATTACKED BY A COUGAR is beyond me, but hey, kudos to him, and just another small reason to carry a knife. Again, I contend that a fixed blade would likely be much easier to get into action in the insanely rare case of a cougar attack...

10. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    Small & light weight = Fallkniven WM1

Folder for hikes = SAK Alox Farmer or Pioneer are both very capable, but they're non-locking, the Wenger Ranger 55 has a locking blade with some useful tools. If you need/want just a locking knife; Spyderco PM2 or Benchmade Mini Grip are both very good, for less money the RAT1 is exceptional value for money.

Not sure from your post if you are thinking day hikes or multi day hiking where you'll also be camping.

11. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    That's an interesting strategy. If the your knife is attached to a spear, how do you use the knife the 99.99999999% of the time that you are not fending off cougars while hiking?

12. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    I prefer to carry a fixed balde but for your requirements I'd also recommend the Military. It's light, thin, has a long blade and has a nice and slicey geometry. You're not going to hack through trees but for backpacking where you're carrying shelter etc, it'll do just fine.

13. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Very solid information.:thumbup:

Jim

14. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight

Jan 24, 2012
    I carry an ESEE 3 mil with me when I am out hiking, and I always have my Spyderco Caly 3.5 in my pocket. I could just leave the ESEE at home as I rarely ever use it but I would rather have a fixed blade and not need it than need it and not have it.

15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I would suggest two knives; a Ka-Bar Becker BK-16 (or 17) [4" Fixed blade] and a Victorinox Swiss Army knife such as the Rutsack or a thinner one like the Adventurer. I really like the 111mm size. There are lots of choices. The little saw on the Rutsack can come in handy in the woods if and certainly the tweezers will eventually be used to remove a splinter or something.

I have a number of the ones that have been mentioned. An inexpensive knife that is fairly nice is the Kabar Dozier hunter model. Pretty inexpensive <$25 and not a bad one handed folder.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Both fixed blades are by a custom maker here by the name of mario (MLL). I LOVE this knife. My friends who come over try to buy it off me many many times.

perfect weight, and after my custom polish it whittles and hacks like a beast. 1/4" thick

17. Veracious Coyote

Veracious Coyote Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I would take my Esee Izula, a great small fixed blade! My Doug Ritter RSK (Ritter Survival Knife) folder from Benchmade and my leatherman multitool.

18. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I think your SAK and the ESEE 3 would be fine for any situation. Or any of the small hunters on the exchange wold also be great, a lot of good choices lately, maybe a little higher. Give them a look under fixed blades.

19. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Any of the normal size (nothing like the 748) Mora designs would be ideal size for any light bush crafting you would need to do (make a walking stick or whatnot). For animal defense a knife is a dumb option. All predatory animals have their own knives, and they are attached to their paws. You would be better served with a starter pistol, air horn, stun gun, or pepper (bear) spray. Animals aren't scared by knives like people are, they are scared off by loud noises, so any of those I listed would be infinitely more defense.

If an animal wants to kill you, you are pretty well screwed. Best I can say is stab it in the neck repeatedly and hope it gives up. Just remember to never run away, because it triggers predatory instincts. If you want to leave slowly back away facing the animal.

20. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    Another vote for the ESEE Izula II and SAK combo.

[​IMG]

As for lions and tigers and bears, I fights 'em with my bare-hands, I tells ya! :D

-Brett