Advice on vintage spyderco

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by rick melear, Apr 14, 2020.

1. rick melear

rick melear

Nov 28, 1998
    Ok, I’m a long time member, like from the beginning. I’m not asking prices but as advice. I have roughly 20 vintage spyderco’s NIB. My kids are not really interested and I don’t want to leave them with a burden. At 63 I’m about done with collecting. What would you guys do, move them or hold on a bit. I asked the same guestion last month in the CRK forum

GIRLYmann likes this.
  2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Get a gold membership and sell them on here but be aware that the knife "bubble" is a bit more fragile at this particular. It's a buyer's market for the next while.

woodysone and GIRLYmann like this.
  3. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    We are likely looking at a recession. Even if it isn't so bad, best case scenario you wait til the economy picks back up before selling them.

woodysone and rick melear like this.
  4. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I’d run it by them, although they may not share your knife enthusiasm I’m sure it means something coming from you. Just throw it out there that you are about to sell a few and you’d like to offer them something before you started to sell.

woodysone, gotgoat and rick melear like this.
  5. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    Hi Rick,

Maybe sell a few and see how it feels but keep at least a few for life.

woodysone, GIRLYmann and rick melear like this.
  6. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I wish somebody would leave me a "burden" like that. Seriously though if you were planning on putting the money into a savings account etc. and your health was not so good then I think its a good idea. I already told my son to just put them on Ebay when I go, he will get most if not all of what they are worth, I sold most of the controversial ones already. I have some acquaintances that have a list of everything with its asking price(updated regularly) for their spouse/kids. I have not lost my love for knives, guns and cars yet and until finances or mental/physical limitations rear their ugly head I will soldier on albeit in a reduced manner(kicking the Mustang in the gas still brings a smile to my face as well as a new knife or gun, I guess at 70 I am not aging gracefully as they say).

woodysone and Knibes like this.
  7. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I'm 69 going on 70 and I've got a lot of "stuff" including a collection of art, LPs, cars, wine, guns and knives.

I've accumulated over 300 knives (including over 130 Spydercos) in a very short time and I have no intention to selling any of them (except those I do not like or have no further interest in) before I die, as long as they continue to give me enjoyment and pleasure. This applies to all of the other "stuff" that I've got.

I could care less who gets the stuff, as long as it is liquidated and the funds distributed in accordance w/my will to my grandchildren (my ungrateful POS son gets nothing) by my Executor, who will have a huge problem pricing/getting rid of the "stuff" (which I've warned her about) but the "problem" won't be mine.

LOL!;)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    nephron, woodysone and GIRLYmann like this.
  8. thunderdaddy

thunderdaddy

Sep 18, 2016
    I'd like to see the list.

John_0917 likes this.
  9. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm 81 and have been around the horn... collections of PM2, Millies, CRK's, Striders and others... I got rid of just about everything I don't wish to carry, and am happy. I got used to taking a loss on those items...
    Not worried about anything left over, as my will speaks to that issue.
    It is seldom that I buy a knife anymore, unless I wish to gift it. It's been fun.

4mer_FMF, woodysone and GIRLYmann like this.
  10. rick melear

rick melear

Nov 28, 1998
    Gentlemen, this isn’t something that needs to happen right away. I agree with letting them pick the few they want. But to leave with several thousand in knives and many more than that in guns and watches and saying pound sand is a piss poor way to leave your family. I’ve got some years so I’ll sale most and leave the money for then to chase their hobbies.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  11. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Your stuff, your choice.

FWIW, if you were referring to me, I was not saying that my "family" should "pound sand."

What I was saying that , in my case, all of the "things" that I spent many years to acquire, give me enjoyment and I see no reason to sell them in my lifetime unless they no longer do that -- give me enjoyment. All of my "things" are quite valuable, some particularly so, but all of them would be easily "appraised" and sold to a dealer (which obviously would not yield top dollar) if necessary.

So, I'm not leaving my Executor with a complete mess to deal w/upon my demise. There will be an administrative headache -- but that's the case w/all estates. My instructions are to liquidate everything (except those things that my grandchildren actually want and can legally own) and to deposit the funds in trust for them, which should be fairly easy (albeit time consuming) to do. My executor also has instructions to safeguard the family jewelry and heirlooms for my grandchildren until they are old enough to appreciate them and safeguard them themselves. My grandchildren are only 1 & 4 years old at the moment.

My stuff, my choice.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    nephron, woodysone and rick melear like this.
  12. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Id say if youre done with collecting and a small pile of cash would be more useful than a small pile of knives, sell em.

20 spydercos shouldnt be hard to move, even with the global pandemic putting us in a buyers market. You should still be able to get decent prices for all of them.

13. rick melear

rick melear

Nov 28, 1998
    Lol, the more I think about it, the few thousand in cash is no big deal. I more hate the fact that I have to many knives to ever use

4mer_FMF likes this.
  14. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Pick your favorites and sell the rest?

Got any hidden gems in there or what? :)

rick melear likes this.
  15. rick melear

rick melear

Nov 28, 1998
    Yea, a few rare ones NIB

16. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    You post some pictures love to see them .

John_0917 likes this.
  17. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    understandably, it may be hard to let go
    of things which are loved or cherished.
    stuff especially, which have memories
    attached or some personal connection
    with it.
    if there are no sentimental reasons
    to hold on to, it won't hurt as much...
    believe it or not, we have the ability
    to change out minds or opinions
    on things over a period of time;
    sometimes even within an instant.
    it may be spurred by personal experience,
    influence or emotions.
    its important to take note one's state
    of mind before undertaking any drastic
    action that would forever change things.
    always stay rational.
    do take the time to think things over,
    as there is nothing worst than
    to live out the rest of time
    with remorse or deep regret.
    disposal of materials or possessions
    is a very real eventuality that we all face.
    whilst it may be easy and fussless for some
    it may also be the hardest thing ever to
    undertake for some others.
    think need not want.
    saying good bye is the first step.
    once a final decison has been made
    don't look back.
    keep things out of sight
    and it will stay out of mind.
    the fondness will deminish
    once we decide to permanantly
    turn our backs on things.