AEB-L Seax

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by David Mary, Sep 17, 2020.

1. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    This is a commission I took for a gentleman in the UK. It's almost done, and I thought I'd show it here. AEB-L stainless steel at RC 61 with contoured natural maple handle scales, two brass pins and four brass tubes. Thanks for looking!

IMG_8097.JPG
    IMG_8098.JPG
    IMG_8099.JPG
    IMG_8100.JPG
    IMG_8143.JPG
    IMG_8144.JPG
    IMG_8145.JPG
    IMG_8146.JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    Looks good. Wharncliffe shapes are one of my favorite designs, can think it would work well on green foliage.

David Mary likes this.
  3. David Mary

David Mary KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Thank you!

Absolutely. The wharncliffe/seax style blade and point is much less prone to slipping off foliage so it makes a great brush clearing knife, and also for thin branches and twigs. The only time I would choose one with belly at the tip instead of a seax is when I need to do lots of chopping very close to the ground, where the belly and sweep of the tip helps to keep the tip away from the soil and rocks.

4. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    Agreed. It is surprising how much damage parangs, machetes can take when used extensively.