Affordable High-End Chef Knife: The Rebeginninging

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Lotmom, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So here goes. I was debating whether or not to post this, but for the sake of transparency, I'll bite the bullet.

The sample that I received is NOT hap40. I'm still unsure what it is, but even boiling vinegar wouldn't stain it.

That being said, the news only gets better from there.

It turns out that the supplier lied to the MFR, which is the best case scenario for this situation.
    firstly, The manufacturer told me not to send the current sample back and that they will make another for free with the right steel. They asked me for input on how they can test it in house.

Second, and this is a big good news, I am currently getting them in touch with Hitachi directly- I have no more need to worry about the steel used as there will be a paper trail between myself, them, and Hitachi metals (The manufacturer of HAP40). I am hoping that the next sample will be correct, and am assuming (for now) that it will.

Now for the review of the knife as a whole.

it is a great knife. Good food release, excellent slicing, great balance and weight... This is the knife that I have dreamt of ever since I got into kitchen knives. I may post a video review going over the positives and negatives of the sample.

Thank you guys for following along with me on this journey - it really means alot to me.
    Until next time,
    Ben Herman

sryt95 and FOG2 like this.
  2. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So I have some wonderful news!
    It just so happens that I have an Uncle who's an Archeological Metallurgist and he owns a handheld x-ray spectrum analyzer. This means that I can get lab quality testing of steel to determine its type. Its a really interesting machine, and I'll see if I can get pictures of it in use!

Other news:
    The factory has found some steel... whether or not it's HAP40, that's up to debate. The stock certainly isn't stainless, so that's good. I am having them send me a coupon so I can run some of my own tests.

Things are coming together!

FOG2 and sryt95 like this.
  3. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Now for some not so wonderful news.... The factory is beginning to get cold feet in regards to manufacturing with HAP40... they say it is too hard to properly grind. If I CAN'T use hap40, what other steels might you guys be interested in seeing?

4. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    What abrasives are they using? AO, SiC, CBN, diamond?

5. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I
    I have no clue..

6. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    I'm like you a sharpener and you know there is a big difference with ceramic, AO, SiC, and Zirconia on different steels.

Zdp189 laughs at AO but SiC is far better on it.

How they are grinding it can make a huge difference in throughput time.

GABaus likes this.
  7. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    The issue is that they may be unwilling to change their process.. I'll ask them to switch to SiC or CBN

8. Spideyjg

Spideyjg

Nov 7, 2017
    Given the high vanadium content, CBN may be the ticket.
    Zknives list it as a tough tool steel so regular AO might have a hard time.

Don't recall seeing any Hap40 blades pass through but I would hit them with SiC

para7452 likes this.
  9. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Update time! I have finally made the purchase! The first round of 50 will be arriving in the next couple months!

FOG2 and Bloody Knuckle like this.
  10. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I just received the box design from my manufacturer! I took a while to get it to where I want, but its here![​IMG]

FOG2 likes this.
  11. Bigboned

Bigboned Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2018
    watching this thread with interest - so now you have made the purchase, what steel are you getting? or is the box the clue?

12. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Not Cru-Wear, sadly ;)

I now have a proper guarantee that the steel will be the HAP40 that I wanted from the beginning.
    R-AEL is the model name

13. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Update time! I've gotten word from the factory, The first shipment should arrive by the end of March!

Nick Dunham, FOG2 and marchone like this.
  14. mr_chompers

mr_chompers

Jan 21, 2020
    is the thought still that you are selling this first batch in Canada only? If I drove up to Canada, would you sell me one? :D:D

15. mr_chompers

mr_chompers

Jan 21, 2020
    Also, wasn’t sure if this came up in the thread, but how big are your hands? I have big hands and was wondering how this would fit a larger hand.

16. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I have very large hands, and this knife fits mine perfectly since that's how I made it. As for buying it in Canada, send me a pm and I may be able to hook you up. The reason I'm not selling in US is because I can't sell multiples here without a higher membership than I can afford at the moment.

I will be making an updated test video soon, so keep up to date!

sryt95 likes this.
  17. kamlooper

kamlooper

Apr 8, 2017
    Have been following your progress with interest. Would like to order 1 when available.

18. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Excited to see the final product and reviews!

19. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you for the continued interest!
    As am I!

20. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So its been a pretty rocky journey thus far, and sadly, the company told me they can't get the steel hard enough. It's off by more than 5 HRC. I am currently doing negotiations to see what other options there are, so for the time being, consider this project on hold.

I so greatly appreciate the continued support and hope that after I figure this out, it will continue.

stay safe

GABaus and FOG2 like this.