Affordable High-End Chef Knife: The Rebeginninging

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Lotmom, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Bigboned

Bigboned Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Gutted for you, at least they told you rather than lie n hope you didn’t find out

2. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Im Trying to have them send me a sample of the current product to do some tests since in the end, performance is what matters. If the knife performs to my standards, I may still release it. Thanks for your empathy

3. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So everyone, today I bring bad news. It seems that there are only two options left. Either get a refund minus my sample costs and scrap the project, or change it drastically to use lower quality materials that they can reasonably manufacture. Of course there would be a lower price to match that.

I'd love to hear what you guys think, because it's looking like HAP40 may be out of the question.

Thank you again for all the continued support, and Im sorry the project may have to end <3

4. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    What steel are they offering?

5. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    They mentioned SKD11, but if they cant heat-treat HAP40...

6. Sosakan

Sosakan

Apr 27, 2020
    I personally would buy it if it was made out of anything VG-10 or higher...depending on the price reduction. I could settle for a decent mid-range carbon steel. This is my first post and I made the account so I could follow your progress. I hope there could be a happy middle where we are all mostly happy.

7. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    That's what I was thinking. they definitely have "vg-10" but im not sure if I can trust that fully.

8. Sosakan

Sosakan

Apr 27, 2020
    Well, if you can’t trust them fully on the quality of the steel, sadly, that speaks to stopping completely. If there is no trust, even on something so integral, it doesn’t bode well.

-M1k3- and Wharn like this.
  9. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Its not so much that I dont trust their steel. I'm just worried about heat treatment. One of the early samples they sent me holds an edge rather well, but I'm unsure what steel it is.

10. Bigboned

Bigboned Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2018
    What about moving the project to a different manufacturer? One that can be trusted! They don’t sound like they instill much confidence

11. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I probably should have been clearer, I will be requesting a refund, and if i decide to continue, i will be switching manufacturers

12. Sosakan

Sosakan

Apr 27, 2020
    That makes more sense now! Ok, well, then absolutely keep at it. Perhaps you could have a Chinese/local metallurgist (independently) verify the new factory’s work? I know it’s added cost, but would give peace of mind and not having to ship it overseas before testing might help with cost...but there is that trust issue again.

Also, perhaps look for factories that already make pocket knives (eg we knives’ factories) or “quiz” the new factory on how much they know about the steel you want.

I’m sure if you can vet the next factory and hook them up with a steel supplier things will go more smoothly given the experience you gained from this one.

I am rooting for you!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  13. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    I really hope so! And thank you a ton for the support! I'm not the kind of person to just give up

FOG2 likes this.
  14. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So... Im not making any statements here or anything... But how would you guys feel about 12c27n? :p

I know from experience its extremely fine grained and holds an edge better than vg-10

15. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    So what steel would you guys like to see? Hap40 is sadly no longer an option (for now), and I'm looking at 12c27n/14c28n.
    I may be resuming progress

16. Sosakan

Sosakan

Apr 27, 2020
    Sounds good to me...as long as they can do it right. I had my heart set on a carbon steel, but perhaps if this is done well maybe later?

I really hope this goes well for you!

17. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you.. I also had my heart set on a carbon steel, but i rather have a properly heat treated stainless than a badly heat treated carbon.

18. Sosakan

Sosakan

Apr 27, 2020
    Nope, I understand completely! Go with what works! Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

19. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Update time! I have chosen 14c28n as the steel of choice for the new knife.

As a huge bonus, the price has gone down, so I'll be able to sell at my original $100 price point!

We're back on the road, baby!

(Also check the original post for images of the boxes!)

fishface5 and FOG2 like this.
  20. Lotmom

Lotmom

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello everyone! Big news! I am just waiting on some final details from the MFR, then I'm ready to send payment!

I am requiring them to send a sample first so i can do tests

I'm super excited to see where this goes!