1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Aligning dies on power hammer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Stromberg Knives, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    Hey!

I asked this question inside an other thread, but I'll break it out to make it more visible.

I'm looking for recommendations about power hammer dies. I’m currently using flat dies on which I have rounded the corners slightly, as described by @Don Hanson III in an old post.

But I noticed my dies aren’t aligned, and I experience it pushes the work piece to the side when hammering.

What would be the best way to fix this? Grind the dies parallel to each other? Shim the dies somewhere (wherever that would be?)

[​IMG]

2. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    I suggest grinding, Unless making a tapered shim covering entirely, Its going to lose a little force and wear the sowblock faster.
    Even with a good shim, a extra little force gets wasted. Its not much, but its lost regardless...
    Btw, those dies look really good compared to what I wedge into my hammer !

Stromberg Knives likes this.
  3. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Is it a one piece hammer? What size?

Hoss

4. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    It's an Anyang clone, 25 kg (55 lbs).

[​IMG]

5. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    Seems like you could fix that with a little bit of work with an angle grinder.
    You wouldn’t even need to remove the dies.

6. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    Just grind them, use cereal box cardboard to see the strike pattern. Do not shim. The dies align, they don’t strike flat.

Hoss

7. Stromberg Knives

Jan 3, 2015
    Thanks, I'll take them to the grinder then. And thanks for the clarification on the nomenclature. :thumbsup:

DevinT likes this.