1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

All About AEB-L

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    I gathered all of the information I have on AEB-L, including how and why the steel was developed, how it came to be used in knives, how the design of AEB-L gives it the properties it does, how to heat treat it, toughness testing, edge retention, and more.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/

2. PSarganis

PSarganis

Aug 14, 2004
    This is awesome! Thanks Larrin.

Sando and Larrin like this.
  3. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    Your best article yet for me at least. It felt like it tied a lot of your past articles together with a example that was relevant but did not offer extra distractions. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have a good mind for teaching and I appreciate it.

I do have a question. There is a thread running now that speaks to some of the rumours that Aeb-l gains hardness after temper. Does this mean that cryo is not enough to convert all austenite? Is there any takeaway from this? Would it be better that pre temper hardness be higher?

4. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Enjoyed reading this as I recently found I really like AEB-L ... currently one of my favorite stainless steels.

Thanks for all the information!

Larrin likes this.
  5. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    I measured the retained austenite with tempering and it was flat, as shown in the article. The increase in hardness is related to tempering, and I linked to this article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/04/23/what-happens-during-tempering-of-steel/

6. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Thanks that was packed with info.

Tossing it into the freezer sure was interesting it had any effect considering I have heard many claim it has zero influence heat treated steel

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Michael.Drinkwine, DevinT and Larrin like this.
  7. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    So many know-it-alls willing to dismiss things they don't understand.

Volkert Forge and AVigil like this.
  8. LCoop

LCoop

May 5, 2007
    Thanks and perfect timing for me!!!!! Appreciate all your input.

9. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Do you think it would have a similar effect on 52100?

10. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    I showed measured retained austenite with 52100 in the article on it. And I did my own measurements in a Patreon-only article that I imagine will eventually be in an article on the website. The retained austenite was 7% or less without cryo and 0% with it. Converting a couple percent with the freezer might not be worth anything.

11. Sando

Sando Knife Maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 4, 2002
    I started that thread and just to be clear it didn’t get harder after tempering (that would be weird). It got harder after cryo and heating the blade up a couple hundred degrees for just a minute.

@Larrin s article does describe the effect.

12. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    Knowledge bombs dropping heavy here... a veritable knowledge blitz! Thanks for the info.

13. TILLER

TILLER KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2011
    Very interesting article, thank you.

Larrin likes this.
  14. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    yeeah buddy! Thanks Larrin.

Larrin likes this.
  15. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Great article, thanks, Larrin!

Michael.Drinkwine and Larrin like this.
  16. Barry Clodfelter

Barry Clodfelter KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2007
    Thanks for all the information you share! Not only AEB-L but all the other as well!

17. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    Excellent post. One of the best yet. Thanks Larrin!!!

Larrin likes this.
  18. LCoop

LCoop

May 5, 2007
    Finally had time to really read this article today! Wow this is a awesome, honest, informative, well put together article. I had to read twice to fully appreciate it, but probably one of your best articles yet. Thanks so much for your time putting this together.

19. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Another great article, thanks again.

Larrin likes this.
  20. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Excellent well written article.:thumbsup:

Larrin likes this.