1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Am I the only one ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Hickory n steel, Dec 5, 2019.

1. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    It would be interesting to see what the minimum purchase number would be, and a close guesstimate on price.

seas165 likes this.
  2. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I collect ramblers and vagabonds....I'd be in for one.

That little #1 Phillips is great for opening the battery compartments of kids toys.

seas165 likes this.
  3. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Yeah, I'd go for one!

Heck, it may not even cost that much. The way Karen got into the classic was her boss bought them to put his companies Real Estate Law office logo on them for clients. Theres ad companies that do that with lighters, flashlights, and keychain pocket knives. I've even seen Leatherman micro's and squirts with corporate logos on them.

Can't hurt to have a look-see. I'd love a classic in my watch pocket that every time I take it out, reminded me of the great folks here on the porch.

4. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Real Estate Law. Pretty sure that's a "The House always wins" case.

There's no free lunch. Anything given away for advertising was paid for by that company's prior customers.

Just about anyone in this sub who's discriminating enough to want a custom Porch Knife is smart enough to know one or two good enough knives will checkmate a cheap novelty blade.

Anyone feeling excluded by the $100 ticket cost can take their own SAK down to the engraver and get "Porch" put on it for $4.

meako and Jolipapa like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    You consider the Victorinox classic a cheap novelty blade ?

And I don't really feel excluded, there's just some things about the annual knife as a whole I don't like.
    It's a committee design, it's too limited, and I feel doesn't really fit the spirit of the porch.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    JohnDF likes this.
  6. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    There are a few things that you've stated above that I take some issue with.
    1. This year's knife was not selected by a committee - we all voted for it and the way votes work is that majority usually comes out on top... We had the option to go with Buck again, we collectively decided against it this year. GEC gave us a fair amount of flexibility aside from selecting the pattern and blade style for us. If we had gone with Buck, I am sure we would have had a similar experience to last year - on my end, it was quite pleasant overall.
    2. It isn't limited, everyone who wanted one when the orders were opened up could have one - heck, even two if they wanted.
    3. And the third point: We collectively came together (including many who don't frequent this sub) and voted for a very fine knife. To say that it doesn't fit the "spirit of the Porch" is rather insulting, to be quite frank.
    Now, I have nothing against SAKs and the myriad of configurations they offer. I own a few, as do my kids. Would I be against the idea that you are proposing? No. If someone wanted to spearhead it, I would support the effort. I would just appreciate not having our efforts and processes pertaining to the forum knife, as well as the end product, disparaged because you don't like it for one reason or another.

Crazy Canuck, meako, gotgoat and 9 others like this.
  7. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Well said!:thumbsup:
    Thank You!
    Dave

Ramrodmb, seas165 and Will Power like this.
  8. pa knifeguy

pa knifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I'd want two. One to carry and one to keep

jmh33 likes this.
  9. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    Engraved Opinels would be another inexpensive option. Somebody would just have to develop a logo and make a digital image file of it available somewhere. Anybody who wanted one could then download the logo and order an engraved knife himself. Members could even choose the knife they want it on. Of course anyone who chooses anything other than a carbon #8 has no taste anyway:p.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pages/engraving-portfolio

hornetguy likes this.
  10. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Sounds GOOD..:thumbsup: I am in for 1 !!! :D
    John

11. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I would be in for one!

12. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I didn't mean to offend anyone or anything and I apologise.

meako, seas165 and knowtracks like this.
  13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    No, not at all thank you. SAKs are fine knives, very useful but without any personality or soul in my opinion, adding some logo or engraving just makes it like an advertising knife, dull.

gaj999, meako and Jolipapa like this.
  14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Well I don't think you need to apologise for simply stating your opinion or feelings, it's polite of you to do so, but people should stick to their point of view. You didn't insult anybody personally either. A Forum is after all for diverse opinions not dogma.

15. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    That wouldn't be a $20 knife with your suggested artwork.

The Blade HQ Knives are advertisements. For a large retailer like Blade HQ leveraging what they order from that maker vs. some one of knives is going to be less costly than paying for ads. No doubt Vic did a sweetheart deal for them because it's an advertisement for them also that will reach outside their regular channels.

The spirit of the porch isn't wishing someone else to magically produce what you want.

If you want it, do the legwork, commission the art get the quotes from the supporting vendors on here and post it up.

meako likes this.
  16. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I wouldn't be interested in a Classic. I'd never use it and it would just go onto the pile.

meako likes this.
  17. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    In software design, there is a principle: "If its good for everything, its good for nothing". That is the SAK. I'd take a real traditional knife anyday! :D

meako likes this.
  18. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I will admit that my verbiage was a bit strong. However, I don't like misinformation and I definitely do not like the insinuation that our forum knife selection process and the resulting knife is not in keeping with the "spirit" of this particular sub. I happen to enjoy the process, with all of its intrigues, clashing of personalities, and widely varying opinions. I think that is what ultimately makes the knife so special in the end, even if it ends up being something you might not otherwise buy.

With that said, I would invite you to elaborate on why you feel the way you do about this year's knife, why you feel that you didn't have a say, and why you think it's representation is antithetical to the values of "The Porch". That sort of discussion may not be what you intended for your thread here but color me curious all the same.

meako and gotgoat like this.
  19. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I just dont really know how to word my thoughts on the annual forum knife , and I can see how you might be offended by what I posted.

meako likes this.
  20. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The problem is that I still don't really know exactly how to word my feelings on the annual forum knife.

I just think there's gotta be something a much larger group of forum members would actually want.