Am I the only one ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Hickory n steel, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Hang out in General Chat and drum something up from Spyderco lol

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    As my Father-in-Law used to say, "Don't feel like the Lone Ranger."
    I also found the whole selection process off-putting and in the end chose not to purchase the knife.
    I'm not going to gripe about it or explain it, I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. :)

gaj999, meako and jmh33 like this.
  3. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Wow you guys are fired up lol

Have you ever ordered a run of custom branded knives from Victorinox? It's just a printing process. They print your design over an existing model.

Of course it depends on markup, but a classic would still be very affordable.

Surprisingly low. We could definitely meet it imho.

meako likes this.
  4. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    We could do one of the larger models, such as the Soldier, or Tinker, or something like that... make sure it has a caplifter on it, because sometimes, sitting on the porch, adult beverages are consumed. I think those are still in the $30 range.

I also like the idea of the Opinel... it would really be nice if we could get Case to do something like that, as many of their models don't go beyond $50. I imagine they would require a higher quantity than SAK would, but who knows?

meako and specgrade like this.
  5. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I’m in...

6. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Sounds like a good idea. Especially if one of our artistic members could do an illustration, such as the porch scene, that r8shell did for "Pearl".

7. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Id buy one, but wouldnt want it to replace the annual forum knife. I do like the idea of a porch scene like pearl!

redsparrow likes this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    They do have the $15 mini blackhorn that they often advertise on.
    They're a nice little knife and it's a good route to go.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    meako likes this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    There are companies who will Lazer engrave or print a name on something for you for a small fee or sometimes even free.

I really don't know why people are fired up by the idea that there be a knife specifically for the porch that's more of an everyone's knife than the " more special " annual forum knife.
    They're always nice and everything regardless of pattern and blades...ect, but they really don't end up being for everyone.
    The idea isn't to take anything away from the annual forum knife, just something cool that specifically celebrates the porch which would appeal to many more porch members.

jmh33, 315 and L.H.S like this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    We could just all buy white bone stockman knives and send them all to @r8shell for art work.
    Just kidding Rachel. :D

gaj999, WValtakis, seas165 and 4 others like this.
  11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    With Christmas/New Year season coming up, it could be a question of having a knife dedicated in honour of The Paunch....:eek::eek::D

r8shell likes this.
  12. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Oh, you! :p
    There was one year when it looked like we might not be able to organize a forum knife. One suggestion making the rounds was for everyone to buy an Opinel, and then each burn the same design on the handle.

On a serious note: if anyone is actually planning a group order, you should probably check with the mods (knarfeng or Peregrin) for the okay.

Ramrodmb, WValtakis and JohnDF like this.
  13. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    The problem with the forum knives is the same problem inherent to anything designed by committee -- that it was designed by committee. By definition that means that compromises were involved and though we usually end up quite satisfied with the results, very few are actually happy with them.

The thing is, the forum knife started out as a project to create something uncommon, or rare for the community. Achieving that has become more difficult over the years as slipjoint manufacturers have closed or the remaining makers limited the choices available.

Still, a large part of the draw for me with regards to the forum knives is their uniqueness. I could care less about an engraved Classic. Victorinox Classics are perhaps the most produced knife of all-time, a scrawled The Porch on the handle won't make it any more desirable to me.

Will Power and knowtracks like this.
  14. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    You are indeed not alone. I have no problem with voting on features, and I have the utmost respect for those who work so hard to make the knife happen, but I find some of the negative comments and hurt feelings expressed by some of the participants in the polling process distasteful.

But back on topic, I’d definitely be in on a Porch Classic.

JohnDF likes this.
  15. zharik

zharik

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi,
    I would definetly be in for Porch Classic. Alox one would be nice to have!

But if we decide to choose keyring size Opinel or tiny Case i would be in too.

16. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    They do it for free?

Better move fast before they go out of business!

17. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    They won't go out of business, they've been offering the service ( not knife related ) for years.
    Of course it's a buy one and we'll put your name on it kind of thing and not a volume deal, but they do it because it doesn't cost them much to stick the item In a machine and press a few buttons.

18. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The little keychain opinel would be a good choice too.
    Just something that properly showcases the love of the ubiquitous everyman's knife.

19. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    It would be an advertising knife. That's why it would be cheap. I think one of the big online knife shops offers engraving on the SAKs they sell. I'm too lazy to go look, but I recall it being like $4-5 ...

20. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Case also offers engraving on some of their models... I don't think it's quite "free", but I don't think it adds much to the cost. Heck, I have about 6 laser engravers at work. If I could get one of the other techs that plays with them a lot to show me how, I could engrave whatever we wanted on them.
    Of course, if I got caught doing that.....:rolleyes: :D