An evolution in utility

Discussion in 'Siegle Knives' started by not2sharp, May 8, 2020.

1. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    IMG_0268 sm.jpg I was looking at some very popular 7" bladed knives and I couldn't help but imagine a clear evolutionary path. The recent knives are heavier, but Bill offers us a version that retains a thinner edge. I wonder what the guys would have said about that back during WWII.

n2s

knives shown (top to bottom): US MKII, Busse Team Gemini, Tops Operator, Siegle 7" camp knife.

Gravelface, WILLIAM.M and Bill Siegle like this.
  2. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    To be fair, the kabar was designed in WWII to be a hybrid fighter/utility knife, whereas Bill's design is targeted at utility but is not as stabby

3. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    I am not sure that it matters how "stabby" the blade is and it is debatable whether one is more or less than the others. The Mark II was an excellent knife; but, it suffered from two major deficiencies: 1) the leather handle was susceptible to rapid decay in tropical conditions and 2) the blade/tang transition was weak by today's standards. The other three knives correct for this.

n2s

4. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Well it definitely matters how stabby a blade is, if one of the primary purposes of the blade is to stab enemies in combat. But it would be interesting if you gave all 4 knives to a 3rd party and told them to stab each one into a thick phone book with equal force, and then compared the penetration results to see if there was a significant difference.