Another Back Surgery

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by MikeH, Mar 31, 2017.

1. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    In April 2016 I began having extreme back pain and very limited mobility. Surgery was scheduled, but cardiologist said I couldn't come off Plavix long enough for surgery for at least nine months after my two stents in January 2016. finally had surgery November 30, long painful recovery was underway. Early January Kim had knee surgery, and she lost balance getting out of car coming home from hospital. Reflexively I grabbed her, catching her full weight on my back and causing further back problems.
    I am having surgery next week, back surgery number five for me. I have been living on stubbornness and oxycontin for a year now.

This surgery will not only determine whether I make Blade this year, but may determine my mobility for the rest of my life. 2015 may have been my last Blade Show. I certainly hope not.

2. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Mike, I am sorry to hear about all the difficulties you and your family are having to endure. Try to stay strong and know that you have a lot of people rooting for you and Kim. Both of you will be in my prayers and thoughts. Please keep us updated as you can.

3. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan

Feb 11, 2015
    Good Luck

4. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Thoughts are with you MikeH. That might be me in a couple of years. Maybe this one will do the trick for you.

5. stricknine

stricknine

Nov 12, 2008
    Mike, think about you often! You are good people! Wish you well and a speedy recovery!

Ronnie

6. cut it out

cut it out

Apr 11, 2010
    I'm so sorry. I know first hand what it's like to live in pain. Been 22 years. Try to stay positive. Good luck man

7. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Through singular toughness and perseverance in your life, you have accomplished so much more than most men could stand, especially for the health and support of your family. If those qualities will get you through this, then you are definitely the man for the job. If I could, I would bet that you, Sir, can get it back. God speed, Mike.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  8. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    I remember you posting an update back then Mike...keep checking in here...we'll do what we can to keep your spirits up talkin Busse or anything else!

9. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Sorry to hear that MikeH, thoughts and prayers sent for a speedy recovery and that this be the last one for you.

10. OldPhysics

OldPhysics

Sep 2, 2006
    We are all pulling for you.

11. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    I will be praying for you Mike, that God will give you healing and strength. Take care and God bless you!

12. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    I don't know you Mike, but I'll be pulling for you.

My stepdad has been going through a cycle of back surgeries over the past 3 yrs, trying to save his ability to walk. I wouldn't wish that stuff on anyone. Godspeed.

13. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    I am right here with you.
    Best wishes Mike.

My stepdad is actually trying to hold off on having rods put in due to the amount of hardware he would need will end up being the demise of his other (more healthy) vertebrae & discs...

14. TattooBlade

TattooBlade

Apr 4, 2009
    Smoke and prayers your way! I may have to get a tendon in my arm fixed soon. Surgery is no joke. Do what the dr says and you'll be ok.

15. drift draft

drift draft

May 12, 2007
    Smoke and Prayers sent for a fast recovery.

16. MikeH

MikeH

Oct 18, 2001
    Thank you for the well wishes and prayers.

The first three back surgeries of my life, beginning at age 22, were spaced 15 to 20 years apart. In every one of them, I awoke in recovery instantly knowing that the nerve pressure was gone and all would be ok, My fourth last November was different, no sense of relief. Two days ago I woke up knowing that the fifth surgery was a success.

I have only a very small vestige of the old familiar pain, probably due to the moving around of nerves that the doctor described, and I expect it to go away. I may never walk totally normally again because of permanent nerve damage but praise God I don't hurt. I have taken no pain medication except at night to sleep with the very faint remaining pain. After a year on oxycontin I am suffering no ill effects of withdrawing yet, but I have never been inclined to addiction anyway, except for Busse knives and guns. Last night was the best night of sleep I have had in a long time.

17. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Glad to hear you are doing well. I have had one back surgery, and it was not a pleasant experience. Here's to a full and speedy recovery for you!

18. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Excellent news for sure. :thumbup:

19. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Happy to here it. Had my first 2 surgeries the last four months of last year. The Gallbladder wasn't bad at all but the arm was something. Got a very good understanding of how all those nerves,tendons and mussels work together. Have a 20% loss of movement in my arm but that may come back over a year or two. Heard back surgery can be a really bad or good recovery. Hope yours continues to be a good one.
    Really hoping to see you at Blade again.

20. OldPhysics

OldPhysics

Sep 2, 2006
    Well. Sometimes prayers are answered.

Best news this year.