1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Another kind of sharp

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by snowwolf, Nov 28, 2015.

1. snowwolf

snowwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good and strong wired electric razor.

I got a nice Philips few years ago. They simply retrofitted a cable in a ultra-weak, probably energy efficient cordless razor. This thing chokes all the times and need constant lubrication otherwise it hangs.

I remember when I was an older teen. My grandfather gave me his old electric razor. I can't remember the brand. The lights in the house were flicking when you started this thing. The first time I tried it, it took half my face off. Overtime and after peeling all the baby layers, I got used to it and served me well for many years. I never had to oil it either. I think it was using blood for lubrication. I guess if I had put some oil in it I would still be using it.

Anyway, wired suggestions anyone? I don't need a 2HP weed eater, but something with more torque than that fancy Philips.

Thanks

2. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    I gave up! As I've aged, my beard has turned to .012 Stellite 6 wire. I'm considering switching to Oxy Acetylene.

3. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Sorry cant help ya much Sno. I use one of them things they use to sheer sheep. Im the company calender. You can tell what week of the month it is by my face. I shave every full moon and occasionally on a new moon. It is hard to find anything nowadays thats worth a crap. Im going to the auction soon to look for something made in 1950 or 1960 back when they made things to last. Thats prolly your best bet.

BB: Plasma cutter works better! Wont burn your face as bad:D

4. ichor

ichor

Aug 27, 2002
    used Norelco for 30 years, wouldn't even consider anything else.

5. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    A little cream and a kitty might be more eco friendly, cept for Phillll, might need a brush hog on him. Makes me sooooo jealous.

I never could grow much of a beard, had a mustache since I was 3.

6. FinnSetanta

FinnSetanta

Apr 21, 2013
    It ain't what you're askin' about, but have you considered a straight razor? If you use it long enough, it's cheaper and more environmentally friendly than most other ways of shaving. Sure, it takes more time and requires more maintenance, but I doubt that would discourage any kukri enthusiast.

7. snowwolf

snowwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Thanks guys for your friendly reply and humor :D

Finn - Nope I haven't used a straight blade but I often use disposable razors which I prefer in general. I do use a badger shaving brush though.
    The electric razor has an edge (pun intended) in the morning when I'm in a hurry. It takes less time than a traditional shaving.

My brush was kind of expensive 25 years ago and it kept losing an hair here and there since. Like me, it is now starting to show its age.

I don't have decent local shops with sample brushes. I know a specialized online barber shop with good products but all the pictures of shaving brushes look the same no matter if it worth 15$ or $450... I bet the expensive one is good but I don't need an handle made of extinct species material or with hairs from a famous rockstar.

I want a good solid wood handle with a core at least an inch+ in diameter filled with authentic long soft badger hairs. But that's another story. This thread is about wired electric razors with more torque than those wimpy Philips.

Keep em coming :)

8. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I have always used a Norelco.

9. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014
    During the week when he doesn't have time to use the straight razor Hubby uses a Norelco 1150X But then he buys the 3D replacement head for the 1290X and uses those for a MUCH better shave but at the lower price of the 2D razor. But those aren't corded, Still good power he claims and pretty quiet, I don't even know he is shaving when I am outside the bathroom anymore LOL.

10. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    When I was clean cut and spiffy I used to use a Norelco too. In fact it was an old one and must have lasted 20 years. I liked it well enough that I bought another modern one but it was a piece of junk. Maybe they have some cheaper models nowadays too? The heads cost more than the razor too. Now that im old and yuppy dont mean nuthin anymore I shave my head and face the same length. Keeps me in balance ya know:D

11. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    :thumbup:

12. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    for those with tough beards, why not try an angle grinder.

i use a cordless phillips 6890 triple header that you can clean under the tap. i've replaced the cutters a few times over it's life, which has been around 20+ years so far and still going strong.

addendum = i just looked at it to get the model number, it's display panel says to recharge it 0 min. remaining, i dug out the cord & it's frayed where it enters the plug, exposing the two conductors. darn!. glued and taped it so i don't electrocute myself. seems to be working but i'm gonna check ebay/amazon for a replacement. hopefull a newer model's cord will also fit. - found one for £7 ($10.58) on ebay.

13. ichor

ichor

Aug 27, 2002
    My Norelco is finally showing signs of getting dull. Has anyone tried sharpening on ceramic plate/cup like ya' see on Youtube? Seems too good to be true.

14. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    i use a hard fine falkniven ceramic hone. used to touch it with a hard fine arkansas one. the blades do eventually wear out tho, new cutter blades can be found on e-pray.

15. Max42

Max42

Jul 13, 2015
    what about "if you can't beat 'em then join 'em"?

I stopped battling my beard a few years ago and its going great! Tons less work, my face stays warm (and at around 8 inches now, it's built-in padding too)... plus, I'm told my wife now thinks its one of my coziest features :cool:

...that said, I'd suggest going to a local salon and seeing the commercial brands that they use - maybe they can sell you an old one?

16. Jackrabbit Slim

Jackrabbit Slim

Sep 25, 2014
    If you can locate a used Grundig, that's your best bet. They're out of business, and pricey, but many Shave-Tronics dealers keep a small supply handy. I've had mine for 30 years and it's still going strong.

Another option to a straight razor is an old-fashioned safety razor. A lot of good choices with these, and will save you $$ in the long run.