Antique store Plumb.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by The_Black_Knight, Oct 26, 2020.

1. The_Black_Knight

The_Black_Knight

Feb 24, 2014
    I went through my local antique stores and dig up this old double bit plumb, reading through the USFS books it looks like the head is hung WAY too high, but the rust was mostly surface and the edges need work as there are some big chips; I’m not too experienced so if I’m wrong with the hang please tell me so I know what I’m doing.
    Got started down this road from a plumb I pulled out of a junk pile a few weeks ago.
    EDIT: picture URL was junk
    [​IMG]

2. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Looks to be in nice shape overall and Plumb made good, if sometimes overly hard, axes. Hanging it high or low isn't really a functional issue per se - meaning, you can still swing it and cut wood safely. Should you ever want to grip the axe under the head, which is common, then you might find that lump of wood obnoxious. You don't want a huge mass of wood under the eye because you can create a weak point, but in the case of this axe, that wood appears to be roughly the thickness of the head or maybe a little less. And that's what you want. Visually, it doesn't look awesome up high like that, but it's a really simple fix even if you don't want to rehang it. Just remove wood. If something goes wrong, it's just wood, get a new handle and try again.

3. The_Black_Knight

The_Black_Knight

Feb 24, 2014
    Gotcha, that makes sense, I’m super new to axes and most of what I know is from one moving part and an axe to grind, and both of them mentioned not wanting the head sitting too high and I wasn’t sure if that was just the forest service’s practice or a functional issue.

thanks for the input though, helps me know what’s next!

4. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth

Jan 29, 2014
    Awesome! Good luck!

Miller '72 and Meek1 like this.
  5. tommytman

tommytman

Aug 12, 2019
    That's a nice find. If the head is on solid I'd sharpen it up and test it out.