Any A.G. Russell slipjoint testimonials here?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by termiteslayer, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A. G. Russell

A. G. Russell

Mar 10, 2001
    You do not have to order often, but if we do not hear from you for three years we figure that you have lost interest. Go to agrussell.com

2. runninmike

runninmike

Oct 19, 2005
    I have a set of single blade barlows, one large 5" easy opener with rough saw cut bone handles, and a small version. These came as a consecutive serialized set and I was shocked at the quality and attention to detail. These are about 10 years old now and only cost me a bout $60 or $70 for the pair in a nice double box. I would say these guys are worthy of a look if their stuff reflects what I received back then. They truly are custom knives, and the only custom knives I own. I have not used either of my Barlows, and think I just might have to soon. Especially the large one, gosh that thing is an object to behold.

3. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006
    I just did.I am looking at the sheathes for a mountain man and a Wave. Sent an email to ask how the fit is. Thanks

Steve

4. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Please conduct all discussion with vendors regarding their products and services privately (off the forum).

5. ADD

ADD

Apr 29, 2006
    Have you picked up the branded Russell Dogleg yet?

I suspect you will be pleased.

My experience (I do not have this one and don't want to get political) with AG's stuff from Japan has exceeded my expectations and very often surpasses US made counterparts in fit/finish, grinds, blade play, etc...

6. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    I order from Mr.Russel,from time to time,and have always been very satisfied with his products.

7. rprocter

rprocter Banned BANNED

Jan 19, 2007
    ADD. yes i have received the AG Dogleg Trapper. It has not turned out as i expected. see post #31 here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759133&page=2
    Since then i have received a return call from a very helpful woman at AGR. The shield being off is not the reason for it being a second. It was well padded and well packed so i think it fell off when they inserted it into the bubble bag.
    Returning knives from Canada back into the USA is a big hassle, so i'm keeping it and will re glue the shield myself.
    Unless you like big fat stag i wouldn't recommend it.
    I've bought lots of AGR knives and this is the only one i'd say is not worth the money
    roland

8. A. G. Russell

A. G. Russell

Mar 10, 2001
    Roland,

I assume that you are keeping it so you can continue posting in thread after thread. Why not return it and let us give you all of your money, including all postage charges and if you will include the recept Canadian customs as well.
    A.G.Russell

9. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Gentlemen, please take this offline and handle this matter privately.

Roland, it's only fair that A.G. had an opportunity to respond to your comments here and he has made a fair offer...however, this forum is not the proper venue for further discussion of this matter.

Feel free to open a new thread in "Feedback" if you wish to flesh this issue out further.

Thank you.

10. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    You can get on their weekly specials e mail list on thier web site. Purchaced several knives from A G Russell and have never been disapointed

11. rprocter

rprocter Banned BANNED

Jan 19, 2007
    Elliott, i do understand your point.
    We use this forum to discuss our experience with Traditional knives, in part to help other members decide on future acquisitions. The members' responsibility is to be honest and fair with their words. I'm sure ~ 99% of my 3000+ posts are of a positive nature.
    Most brands can be discussed without mention of the merchant from whom it was purchased, however with A.G.Russell knives there is only one source. The brand and merchant are the same business, unlike for example the Case/Bose collabs which are sold by numerous merchants.
    My post here was in response to another member's query about the AGR Dogleg Trapper.
    To post only positive experiences with a knife and refuse to post when one honestly feels that a specfic knife falls short of it's adverised description, would be a disservice to others.
    I also made a point of stating that of my many purchases from this merchant, this is the only one which is a disappointment.
    roland

12. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Roland, I read your posts in the applicable threads and while it's true that you pointed out that this knife was the only one (of several you have purchased) that was a problem, your posts went beyond simply discussing issues with the knife. It's not that I necessarily take issue with your stated position, it's that this forum is not the proper venue for hashing out the various issues raised. (Just as this discussion should be taking place via email or PM rather than in this thread.)

We have no quarrel in this forum with critiquing a knife and posting its good and bad attributes. Quite the contrary. However, getting into issues about a vendor, his policies or veracity etc. are what the "Feedback" section is for.

Our forum members know how to find the "Feedback" area of the site and are encouraged to both read and post there as warranted. Also links can be provided as applicable.

This thread will now be closed. I hope you get your issues resolved to your satisfaction and invite you to open a thread (and possible dialog with A.G.) in the "Feedback" section.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.