Any Bark River fans out there?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Fn_perfect13, Apr 16, 2020.

1. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Good example here of why not to buy Bark River....it's 2020 and the company can't deliver a sheath that fits a $400 standard production knife. Shame on them!

Do a GB&U search and judge for yourself. It's not just one guy either, it's the company.

Smiling likes this.
  2. panella

panella Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Well, I paid $289 on sale from KnifeCenter not $400. That's a great deal IMO for a large 8.5" blade knife that, so far, compares with my Busse HOG FSH and HH FSH including ergos and a design in CPM-3V that I really like . I also like the nice leather sheath included. (Had to pay over $100 for a ChuddyBear dangler for my Busse's). Did the sheath need to be sent back? The retaining strap was too short, so yes. Not really a big deal. BRK gave me a new one that fits.

In the end I can only judge a knife by its performance, not by what the internet says about the company owner. Was the knife priced fairly? Yes. Was it delivered in a timely manner? Yes. Did the company stand behind its warranty claims and deal with my issues courteously and to my satisfaction? Yes. I mean, we're not talking about "Survive Knives" here. And for under $300 this is a great knife. I've got my eye on a Bravo Survivor.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    CVamberbonehead and Ben Dover like this.
  3. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Man o man Mikael have definitely missed seeing your antler work!! Love the kolt and the odin! Thanks for sharing those again. Now.I need to clean up all the drool on my chest!!

James

4. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Thank You James! :thumbsup:
    The Odin was made this winter after getting some antlers of Red Deer.

Regards
    Mikael

jfk1110 likes this.
  5. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Yeah I feel the same way. Recently got my Rio Grande camp knife for under 3 c-notes. A good deal for a huge bowie knife. And it's well made. Maybe not perfect, but it's not a thousand dollar custom knife, so I'm perfectly satisfied. There's no one else making these kinds of knives either, at least at this price point. About their sheaths, they are very tight at first but when broken in, they're the best sheaths in the business, as far as production knives.

6. Fn_perfect13

Fn_perfect13

Apr 10, 2020
    The Mora Companion was actually my fault. I was whittling a sword for my daughter while on my porch and hit it on the concrete and snapped the tip. I usually have a rubber mat underneath me to protect my blades but didn't that time. I also have a Fallkniven F1. It was actually the first higher quality knife my husband bought me when we first started dating. Good knife but I don't care so much for the laminated VG10 versus my CPM3V or CPM154 fixed blade knives.

Mikael W likes this.
  7. Fn_perfect13

Fn_perfect13

Apr 10, 2020
    All BRK sheaths with the retaining strap are purposefully made with the strap on the smaller side. It is supposed to be VERY tight to snap at first. That is so when the leather breaks in the strap will still fit and not be loose. All that is needed it to stretch/twist it a bit and when you get it closed LEAVE IT BE for a day or two. Leather stretches if it fit loose from day one over time the strap would become useless. I really can't believe how many posts I have seen with people thinking their sheath was wrong when when it wasn't. My Crusader, Bravo 2, and 1.25 were all the same way way, as was my husband's Tope Recon.

Jhansenak47 and Mikael W like this.
  8. Fn_perfect13

Fn_perfect13

Apr 10, 2020
    The sheath was made purposefully with the retaining strap smaller. All is takes is a little stretching and it will snap closed. Leather stretches and if it was loose from day one it could become too loose over time and not do its job (retaining the knife).I have 3 knives with the same sheath and I (as a female) had no problem "muscling" it closed after working with it for a minute or so.

Mikael W likes this.
  9. panella

panella Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2003
    I understand about tight straps on sheaths and how leather stretches, but the snaps just weren't properly positioned. After a day of twisting, pulling, and stretching the retaining strap (including using warm water), even the outside edge of the top snap still wouldn't begin to overlap/touch the outside edge of the bottom snap. As I indicated, the fit was too short . The replacement still had to be stretched in order to snap shut, but the alignment was much closer to begin with and it only took a minute to, as you say, "muscle" it closed. Sometimes the retaining strap is just too short. But Bark River fixed it, so no problem.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Ben Dover likes this.
  10. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    Snapped tips, dents and chips out of the edge are quite common to see on old Mora's, as they are used overhere (Sweden) by construction workers and craftsmen.
    I have sometimes picked them up from the ground at the recycling station, after they have been tossed as garbage.
    I give them new tips + convexed edges on my 1" x 30" beltsander and they continue to see years of good service.

VG-10, CPM3V & CPM154 all belong to my favorite steels, but I think heat-treatment and geometry are far more important than the choice of steel.
    With a good heat-treatment and geometry, I feel I also can get a lot out of simple steels like Sandvik 12c27 or 1095 carbon.

Regards
    Mikael

jfk1110 likes this.
  11. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I do wish there were more pictures in this thread.
    I only have one Bark River. It was given to me by a long time friend. I think they did a good job with putting it together. I've never used it for too much, so I wont comment on edge holding and whatnot.
    [​IMG]

12. Mikael W

Apr 21, 2007
    BRK sure offer a wide range of beautiful handlematerials!
    Sadly many materials are gone because of CITEs rules or have been banned for export like India Sambar Stag.

As for pic's: my much beloved 7" Bowie after use
    IMGP6234.JPG
    It's very hard to get another one like it, so I appreciate it very much.

Regards
    Mikael

13. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    Here it is.

[​IMG]

IEN710, Jason9477, jfk1110 and 4 others like this.
  14. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'll add a few when I get home.
    (Be patient - might end up just taking new pictures)
    In the meantime, here's one that I recently posted in another thread - I carried this combo for the past three days, changing up this morning.
    DSC_0014.JPG

jfk1110, Fn_perfect13, Don W and 3 others like this.
  15. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    Ok - I've already posted my Senegal (post #17) and Fox River LT (post 74); so here are some that I've posted in other threads...
    Bravo 1-LT
    [​IMG]

Bravo EDC
    [​IMG]

Mini Fox River
    [​IMG]

This is about the only way to make the Senegal look small...
    DSC_0149.JPG

Fn_perfect13, Don W, Llasi and 2 others like this.
  16. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    Bravo EDC
    [​IMG]
    Senegal (older photo)
    [​IMG]
    Fox River LT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gunny
    [​IMG]
    Bravo 1-LT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mini Fox River
    [​IMG]

17. hhmoore

Feb 7, 2014
    I've got a couple I couldn't quickly find pictures of; so I took a few new ones
    The Gunny - I worked off as much of the striped patina as I could, and have since used it on a lot of food to even things off
    DSC_0016.JPG
    Bravo 3
    DSC_0017.JPG
    Bravo 1.25 LT
    DSC_0019.JPG
    and, lastly, a group shot, for size reference
    DSC_0020.JPG

18. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
  19. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
  20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Here is a shot of the Wilderness Explorer. It was meant to be the ultimate woods knife for me.... not to big and not too small.... What I learned is that with my kind of needs, it's still a bit large.
    DSC03469 BRKT Wilderness Explorer2.jpg

Then there is is Mini Kephart that I like a lot. It is one of my favorite fixed blades and so handy.
    IMG_5370edec.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020