Any fix on a scratched acid etch?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Harley Boatman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Harley Boatman

Harley Boatman

Jun 21, 2020
    Hey guys, I have another issue with my acid etch. I etched the blade and had it all done and ready to go, other than sharpening. I was getting the edge on it with a Lansky sharpening system and I accidentally pulled the stone too far and scratched the blade with the guide rod.. several times before I realized it was scratching..

My other issue is on the spine. When I molded the thumb ramp for the sheath I used a screwdriver to lift up on the kydex. (Extremely stupid.. I know that NOW lol)
    I *thought * I fixed this by just rubbing a small amount of white vinegar on the scratches to hide them, and then spray with windex to stop the etch. It worked great and you never would have known there were any scratches. Until later, when I saw that now it's blotchy in the "fixed" area.

Is my only option here to re-bead blast and re-etch?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Ac id etch is only a few millionths of an inch thick ... and rubs/scratches easily. It won;t last long at all in use or handling.

You can use a Q-tip and touch it up.

3. Harley Boatman

Harley Boatman

Jun 21, 2020
    Followed your advice and it ended up looking great, thanks!