1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Any tips for increasing the grippiness of FRN?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by boing, Aug 6, 2019.

1. boing

boing

Dec 11, 2003
    The FRN on my Para 3 LW seems more slippery than my other FRN Spydercos, especially on the radii where it's not textured. It's not a problem when cutting, but all other handling tasks with this knife are more fumble-prone than any of my other knives. Before I start going at it with sandpaper I figured I'd see if there are any tried and true methods.

I don't want to use grip tape or similar, and for various reasons this probably won't be an EDC knife anyway, so replacement scales wouldn't be worth the cost.

Thanks.

2. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Try giving it a good scrub with dawn? I dunno, I really REALLY like my para3 LW.

John_0917 likes this.
  3. Trvrdgr1234

Trvrdgr1234 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 29, 2019
    I believe Eric mentions that the FRN on the para was intended to be less grippy

4. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Wear a rubber glove?

5. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Stippling? Seems popular with the Glock guys...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    ScooterG and jbmonkey like this.
  6. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I've had some solvents like Acetone and Methylene Chloride along with MEK really give certain synthetic surfaces a more tacky feel to it. There are types of grip tape you can get at hardware stores that might help. Also as far as a really good chemical cleaning it's hard to beat "Bar Keeper's Friend" for a thorough cleaning that can give the surface a bit more of a tacky feel to it.

7. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Stippling

[​IMG]

jpm2 and WValtakis like this.
  8. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    Know anyone with a checkering file?

9. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    You might have something on it, not really a need for more grip on FRN usually

10. boing

boing

Dec 11, 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve cleaned the scales, it’s just the way the material is. MEK would probably get me closest to what I want as far as surface texture, but I doubt I could control the application and removal well enough to keep from buggering it up. My stippling efforts haven’t been too rewarding, either.

11. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Put honey on them

12. Darkpast

Darkpast Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    buy micarta scales

13. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I think stippling is the way to go. If you didn't have much success maybe try a new technique. I used a pointy scribe to make a stippled texture on my Centofante 3. Worked pretty well.
    Did the same on my Fox Vox Core.

jpm2 likes this.
  14. lovescamaros

lovescamaros Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2014
    sandblasting gives a nice light texture and depending on grit and pressure with frn its a solid choice.

WValtakis likes this.
  15. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    You could scuff it up with some lower grit sandpaper

Sonnydaze likes this.
  16. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    That is my only gripe with the Para 3 LW and never really noticed it until I sharpened it, a Delica and a Native 5. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything to be done and me personally wouldn't try to modify it in anyway. It's a great knife and it honestly doesn't bother me enough to worry.

17. boing

boing

Dec 11, 2003
    I tried sandpaper with so-so results. Then a Dremel with a wire wheel, which only polished it more smooth. I ended up using a 6” bench grinder with a wire wheel. The grippiness is fantastic, and it doesn’t look too hacked up, either. We’ll have to see how it wears over time.

[​IMG]