1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 16 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Buck Custom Shop 119 Special lasermarked with the BladeForums logo!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Buck Custom Shop 119, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 20; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Anybody driven the new Ford Ranger?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Shann, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I see that the new Ranger is finally out. I had a 2002 for 12 years, 210,000 miles. I loved that truck but the body ended up rusting out so badly it wouldn't pass inspection.

I haven't seen one in person, there aren't too many around here yet. They seem kind of pricy, but then everything is.

For whatever reason, I love small trucks and big cars. I do not like the full size pickups at all for what I need them for.

2. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    It's getting just ok ratings so wait 2-3 years on this one for the massive depreciation and buy used after prior owner lease agreements.
    For all the goodies I'd want on that model you are correct, way too pricey.

3. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I've had too many years of buying used and having problems. Also, at least around here, used trucks that haven't been beat to heck hold their value so much its not necessarily a good deal to go used.

4. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Not sure on how they directly stack up between the US and Australia as we have more trucks in that size class, and they are in the middle of the price scale. That said, I just spent a week off-road and for the first time saw as many Fords (and all pretty new looking ones) as toyotas. In the grand scheme, its just one data-point, but they seem to handle themselves very well on the sand. From my guessing, and from the looks of the trucks, a lot of guys who use a truck for work, want an extended cab, but don't want a custom tail are getting the Ranger here. Custom trays and boxes are really common here in Australia (probably half, maybe more depending on where you are) Competing against them in the class are the Izuzu D-max, and Nissan Navara, and Toyota Hilux. The toyota landcruiser pickups are another price bracket up, and the chinese imports are.... cheap.

But from a practical standpoint, if the Aus ones and the US ones are similar, the Ranger seems to be getting popular with good reason, and its all since the "new" ranger got produced. The raptor edition ranger seems to be the best turn-key offroader here, from a price standpoint, mostly due to our vehicle modification laws.

Also for what its worth, I'm allergic to Fords, hate them with the irrational passion of a religious fanatic, and even get tremors when I'm forced to be in a ford-era Mazda. Also I'm upsidedown, so keep that all in mind.

5. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Get a Nissan or a Toyta .

6. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    The new to U.S. Ranger will be getting an overhaul soon due to the platform getting long in the tooth overseas which they might build the Raptor Ranger then. Also, the new Bronco, the new Jeep Gladiator puts more options on the table. Toyota & Nissan will up their game with their trucks in the coming years. Ooooh the options!

7. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    You guys are missing out on the small diesels, the new Isuzu stuff is looking really sweet, and they are getting to the point where the autos are outpreforming the manuals in a lot of offroad situations. But then you get the emissions controls and that gets into another whole ball of wax. Fluid injected filtration is not ideal, kinda wondering how long before diesel just goes away.

8. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    I was wondering the same thing for gasoline.

9. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Hybrid drive is going to be the way, just gotta get gear heads to get on board with it, but I think that is where we are going to have to go for offroading.

10. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    I went small truck shopping in 2016. I ended up with a Frontier. Okay performance, Fair amount of expensive non-warranty repairs for a truck that has less than 70K on it. Very good price. Wouldn't buy another.

I liked the looks of the Tacoma but I didn't think they were that comfortable when I sat in one. It was also about $8,000 more than the Frontier, on average. You probably do get most of that back in resale value, but still. Seemed a little underpowered.

Last year I sat in a Ridgeline (the new one). Seemed very cramped to me which was a surprise since the car magazines just love it. I also sat in a Ford F150. Nice, but way too big for what I want. Also, although you may be getting a lot more truck so they might be a better "value", they still are much more expensive package for package than the smaller trucks.

Then last night my wife told me she was getting a new car at the end of the year, so its all a pipe dream anyway. :p

11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    For anyone who wants the truckiest truck of the new trucks right now it's the Jeep Gladiator.

12. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    That tiny joke of a bed is useless.

13. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    No for what most folks do with a truck bed.

14. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    Fixed it for you.

We use truck beds to haul more than groceries where I live.

Sheets of plywood and 2x4s laugh at the gladiators wagon sized bed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019 at 1:38 PM
  15. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Where I live anyone buying a Ford Ranger won't be hauling loads 2x4s or sheets of plywood.

The weather here is pretty inclement also no groceries in the bed.

16. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    Oddly, at least to me, the Ridgeline apparently can take a 4X8 sheet of plywood and lay flat. I know my Frontier can't do that. I would guess its just wider at the wheel wells although not necessarily a bigger bed.

I don't need a huge bed. The height is of importance to me to reach in and easily grab small tools, etc. out of the back. Otherwise, I've got push mowers, weed whackers, rakes, etc. in the back all summer. A little longer would be nice because the longer stuff and my ramps stick way out. I don't know if another foot would make much of a difference but when I'm bringing 8 foot long 2X4's home, they stick out a little far for comfort in the back of the Frontier. Max payload isn't that important for the two or three times a year I get a load of stone for landscaping.

One thing that is important is a bed liner (not that important for discussion of which one to buy since you can get spray in or drop in for pretty much everything). While I don't haul too much heavy stuff, tools, stone, etc., all beats up a bed pretty fast. My old Ranger's bed and rails were scratched and dented all to hell. The Frontier bed still looks pretty much new although the rails have a lot of scratches and dings (but none through the plastic).

17. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    Ranger buyers aren't most truck owners.
    My post was in reference to your "truckiest truck" post.
    The gladiators is one of the least truckiest "trucks" of all.

It's cool in an overpriced Scrambler kinda way, but it's not much of a truck.

Jeep should have built an updated J100 instead of the gladiator.
    [​IMG]

18. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    The Plywood in the Ridge bed was a design choice in both the Gen 1 and Gen 2. And both beds are resin so no liner needed. You can gouge them up but the scars blend in.

Shann likes this.
  19. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I've been looking forward to the "new" Ranger for a long time, but reviews so far have been underwhelming from what I've seen. Kind of a letdown but maybe the next iteration will involve a more comprehensive redesign instead of using an existing model. I haven't driven one yet, but I think I'll keep looking at the Colorados or a used Taco.

20. Shann

Shann

Sep 2, 2004
    Yeah, it sounds like they took the existing Ranger selling overseas for years and just slapped on some new electronic technology and called it the "all new Ranger". I'm still interested but a little cooled off. I'm also interested in the Colorado too. Since the Ranger is "new" here, the Colorado seems to have better deals available.