Anybody strop their knives?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Makael, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Tecate

Tecate Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2017
    If you expand your list to 10+...I'm in. :)

Makael and jbmonkey like this.
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Mike @Makael ,Tecate can have mine...if he wants.

Tecate likes this.
  3. Tecate

Tecate Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2017
    That is very kind of you, but keep your #1 spot. :)

I buy knives from Makael every once in a while and maybe the next one I buy I'll have him make me a strop as well. Thanks though.

GPyro and jbmonkey like this.
  4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    you do a lot for the forum, and we all appreciate it,....new releases posted and information from factory and such and well I dont.;) so I dont mind seeing ya get it is all. thank you though.

Tecate likes this.
  5. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I gotta get these cut up.
    Please let me know shipping address in my email.
    [email protected] hotmail and .com

jbmonkey and Tecate like this.
  6. Sos24

Sos24 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2018
    I didn’t use to strop that often. Since getting a small strop with compound already on free with a knife purchase, I strop more often, especially on frequently used blades.

Tecate likes this.
  7. Makael

Makael Books temporarily closed on sheath orders. Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I have 4 address's so far. If your reading this please forward me your shipping info to-

[email protected] at .com

jbmonkey likes this.
  8. JOE NOWICKI

JOE NOWICKI

Dec 19, 2018
    I believe very much in using the strop to complete my sharpening. It takes all the burrs away and shows the edge for what it is. If both sides are equal in degrees you should get a very sharp edge from tip to tang. Mine is store bought but boots and belts work in a pinch.

9. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I consider myself to be a decent, but not great sharpener. I've never stropped with an actual strop, I strop on cardboard and paper. It's definitely worthwhile, even on a less finely honed edge. I paper stropped a tiny little imported Buck 325 after applying a 750 grit edge, and it grabs arm hairs. On a bigger knife, I stropped a 220 grit edge and it cuts like a ripsaw and has a decent bit of push cutting ability. Carbon and steels similar to 420HC respond really well to stropping.

10. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    That might depend on how much one wears the blade down before stropping.

David Martin likes this.
  11. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    A clean Buck 120 . 20210211_163711.jpg 20210211_163734.jpg 20210211_163724.jpg 20210211_163757.jpg

skypeace, wackafew, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  12. jtb1967

jtb1967

Mar 16, 2016
    I'm too late for the 10 list, but how large a piece of leather do you need? I've been looking at the strops on Ebay, but it seems most of them coming from China would be too small to work easily with.

Growing up, I remember my dad stropping his knife on his leather belt. Of course he never used any sort of compound on his belt :)

13. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007
    Sent you my address. Thanks.

14. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt

Jun 23, 2007

I've had the same experience stopping Busse's coated blades. Never had one that kept it's coating for too long!!

bikerector likes this.
  15. plb

plb

Jun 22, 2013
    jtp1967,

Quite possibly the best, most used strop I own is the small one on the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener. It's only 1/2 in. wide and 4 inches long, but is very easy to dial in the angle and right amount of pressure to strop most blade shapes and sizes.

[​IMG]

pjsjr, GPyro and jmh33 like this.
  16. jtb1967

jtb1967

Mar 16, 2016
    I may pick up one of the Chinese cheapos and give it try.

plb likes this.
  17. Makael

Oct 17, 2015
    Strops shipping this week: thank you!!

Ole Joe Clark and jbmonkey like this.
  18. Ole Joe Clark

Ole Joe Clark

Oct 3, 2018
    Thank you for your kind and generous gift. I'm looking forward to gluing it to a piece of cabinet grade plywood that I have.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

jbmonkey likes this.
  19. RAZORBLADES

RAZORBLADES

Aug 14, 2006
    I also use corrugated. Cardboard and compound for convex edges,it works as good as any leather strop ,and it super cheap lol

20. turbosquirrel

turbosquirrel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Thanks again Mike!