Anyone else disappointed to have found the perfect primary EDC blade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CanadaKnifeGuy, Jun 7, 2020.

1. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    Have you found your perfect EDC primary blade yet?

If so, does it feel like you've lost that excitement of the hunt?

There are some really great knives out there that would be amazing EDC knives... But I feel like I need to buy them for other ppl, because I've already found what works for me.

It's a bit sad.

There's always an excuse to buy more specialized pieces, but they aren't the versatile cornerstone EDC that you carry every day.

Having said that, I'm going to try to spice up my core EDC relationship with some new scales...
    :p

2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I almost rolled out of bed on this one.

Finding the perfect knife? It doesn't exist.

There are knives that made me pause though.

Matt Bailey Model 2 Geek edition
    Hogue Exploit

3. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    No, I have been on this forum for almost a decade and still no luck. My wallet really wishes I would though. It’s kind of like hunting for Sasquatch I think though.

4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Most everyone that collects or accumulates long enough will eventually experience similar feelings .

I sure have , more than once .

So far , the magic always came back ...eventually . ;)

5. slyraven

slyraven

Feb 19, 2019
    Not yet! But, even if I did, it wouldnt stop me from changing up or at least carrying a second one..I just like knives and it feels "good" to carry different ones.

btw OP..what is the knife you are referring to?

pshn60 and ktataragasi like this.
  6. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    The perfect knife exists for me, it’s called the Sebenza 21. I buy a couple new ones here and there to scratch the itch but they will never compare.

greatscoot, P2P, A.S. and 7 others like this.
  7. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    It's disappointing that it came in the form of such an inexpensive knife: the bugout.

derrickd803, allenC, CSG and 5 others like this.
  8. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I’ve got a pearl of knife wisdom for ya. Once you find the perfect primary EDC blade, it’s only a matter of time before you find a more perfect primary EDC blade, and an even more perfect one after that.

9. Jacobkg

Jacobkg Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2020
    It’s interesting. Before knives I collected watches for years. Then my wife bought me the perfect watch (Grand Seiko). Didn’t feel like looking any more. So I switched to knives. The hunt begins anew...

Razor, allenC, cchu518 and 2 others like this.
  10. MK24

MK24

Jun 5, 2020
    Well to be honest Grand Seiko is indeed the perfect wrist watch. Knives? That's a different question :D

Razor and cchu518 like this.
  11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    The addiction hits different stages, or symptoms, but resistance is still futile. There is a time when you think no more, and you may even give it up for awhile, but then a model comes along and the hunt starts over. Occasionally, you see some of your older knives in a new light. Or you may thin the herd a little to change it up.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    954Ink likes this.
  12. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I have found what I currently consider to be the perfect main blade for a pocket knife, but I'm still waiting for Case to offer it in CV.
    [​IMG]
    Since I can't have exactly what I want I get to forget about what I consider perfect and appreciate other knives I simply like a lot.

Now in the world of traditional knives you can get the same blades or extremely similar blades on various patterns and different takes on those patterns from various manufacturers, so really you can have your cake and eat it too.
    You can have variety and familiarity at the same time.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  13. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    No kidding. I searched for years for the 'one'. Spent a whole lot of money. Bought some beautiful knives but they always fell somewhat short. Imagine how I felt when the 'one' turned out to be a bog standard SAK Spartan with nylon scales costing about $20. I wish, oh how I wish that it wasn't so aesthetically sterile (I'm an artist by profession!), that somehow it would express my personality and tastes. However it does everything I need or want from an EDC, so very well that every time I see a nice knife, I can't bring myself to waste the money. I'd love CF scales for it, I think that would serve to make it 'mine' but I can't bring myself to spend 4X the price of the knife on a scale upgrade.

[​IMG]

14. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Yea. It's called the small sebenza.

15. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    After buying 14 folders in the last three years the one I consistently grab is a Laconico EZC. And no, I'm not unhappy the hunt is over. I'm happy I found what works best for me.

ktataragasi likes this.
  16. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I think the key to all this is rotation, that way it forces you try some of the older knives you have that may have been put aside for awhile, see them in a new or fresh light.

17. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    +1

In addition I also really love the Delica/Endura from Spyderco.

Guess I just love the classics..

Sharp & Fiery and Ajack60 like this.
  18. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    No,
    I found perfect enough one over 20 years ago
    and still happy, sorry

MK24 and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  19. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Joe Watson Magni in 3v...bam! Such a great blade I bought another in 154cm...and the handle wrap job is a little thicker, less comfortable and...not as perfect! :eek::confused:;):D

20. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Maybe havent found the perfect one, but i am and have been at a point where theres nothing im currently interested in; between rising prices and ugly styling,its the makers stopping me from buying right now.

huinvo and scottyj like this.