Anyone have experience with DKONLY Blades?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Orion, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Orion

Orion

Oct 4, 1998
    Does anyone have any experience with this company? I stumbled across them by accident. They appear to use good materials (D-2, micarta and good woods). Blades are full tang. Their prices are unbelievable. I'm thinking I can waste $100 just to see if they are any good. Anyone know anything about them?

2. SOLEIL

SOLEIL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2006
    afaik they are made in India. you can take it from there.

3. Orion

Orion

Oct 4, 1998
    Their store says located in Bloomington, IN but that is really no indication of where the blades are actually made. I wish I could put my hands on one without having to buy it so I could feel the quality (or lack thereof). I remember one company based in India that was selling crap but they weren't using good materials like these guys are. I may get drunk and order one just for $#!+$ & giggles.

4. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I first read this as DONKLY blades. Then as DK ONLY blades...I think I need help.

b00n likes this.
  5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Yet their web site says they are located at 6002 51st Ave; Stettler, Alberta TOC 2L2
    Google maps has a picture of a house. There could be an unseen building. But I tend to doubt it. The knives posted on his web site appear to me to be about half a dozen basic blade styles with various handle mods. I wouldn't call that "one of a kind" like the web site does.

6. Orion

Orion

Oct 4, 1998
    That's strange. Their Ebay and Amazon stores list Bloomington, IN, their website says Berlin, Germany and now you are saying 6002 51st Ave; Stettler, Alberta TOC 2L2. They also list their phone number as 1 305-123-4567. The 1234567 throws up a flag as well as the 305 area code, which is in FL. So they have 4 different addresses. Something doesn't seem right... BUT... that being said, I broke down and ordered one. I got the biggest/cheapest one I could get (9" blade Bowie for right at $60). Received it today. It actually seems and feels like a great quality knife. Fit and finish is a good 8-9 and we know D-2 is a quality steel, just depends on how they heat treat it. It looks and feels really nice. I got a large Bowie so I could beat it up and see what it can do. Aesthetics and feel are great. Now we get to see what's under the hood. I'll keep y'all posted.

anthonycastorena2014 likes this.
  7. 45Shooter

45Shooter

Mar 30, 2001
    Their US office is in IN - the manufacturing is done in Pakistan, I believe. Don't let that put you off - I haven't. I have seven including three ginormous Musso variants. Fit and finish are excellent, especially for handmade and especially for the price point. Although all their blades get marked as D2 (laser marked and I think they only have that pattern programmed), one of my blades is actually 1095. All have been very sharp to screaming sharp, arrived very quickly (like 2 days) and ship free. They are on the River and the Bay and you can see some of my reviews on the River. The last one I got was a finished bare blade on the Bay that I am currently fitting canvas micarta scales too. While some of their designs are a little flaky and occasionally tip toward BUDK territory (these are mostly on the Bay), their more traditional designs are great if enormous, but since I firmly believe that no knife has the right to call itself a Bowie unless the blade is at least 9 inches, that's ok with me. Size does matter LOL!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  8. Orion

Orion

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, I love mine and I have 2 more on the way. I really love their designs, especially the bigger Bowie style blades. And 1095 is not a bad steel, either,as long as the heat treat is decent. I don't have the ability to tell what mine are made of but I will take D-2 or 1095. I think once these people get discovered we can say goodbye to those great prices. I was expecting some flimsy piece of tin. Nothing at all like what I received.

9. Orion

Orion

Oct 4, 1998
    I have 4 now and these things are beasts!!

10. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I went to their website. Half the links go nowhere or have no info. Odd and suspicious. At least they have a few happy people in this thread.

11. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    To the OP, which is the biggest one you have (9")? Please let us know how the edge takes a beating, and how well it chops. It would be interesting to hear what their MUSSO Bowie can do.

12. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I had never heard of them before. Some of them are pretty damn nice looking. Let us know how they perform if you are planning on using them.

13. willrise

willrise Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I bought A RFC(?)COMBAT years ago D2 India made. I took it to task and beat the heck out of it it did not break and keep an edge. Still using it for this and that. The edge behind the bevel became wavy in a few spot after chopping at a section of telephone pole I had. So I took a chance on a few DKonly, lets say BOURBON may have been involved and got an okay deal buying more than one. Looks like maybe the same makers as the RFC ?? Fit and finished better than expected,but the guard edges could have been rounded. Edges were good. Feel really good. So far test cutting and chopping have gone well. Attached is the stock pic of one of the ones I bought. Surprisingly light and fast for a 13 inch blade!. The second guard bites the finger a bit after a decent amount of cutting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    anthonycastorena2014 likes this.