1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

appraising this old buck 301, need input

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by COSMO, May 30, 2019.

1. COSMO

COSMO Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2005
    looking to the experts on what the value of this old 301 might be. It is not mine, I am appraising it in a lot that I have been working on all day. Considering its condition, and how it might look after a spa treatment. what is it worth as is, and what would it be worth after spa?

Thanks for your input

Cosmo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    COSMO, It looks to be a 1973 model and there are some guys here who collect this model who will give you more info.. Nice photos. DM

3. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    I would have the SPA treatment done then appraise it....

4. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    That looks like the variation from 1974-1985. The condition sort of eliminates it from being a collector's knife.

Bert

5. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I see them in the 30 dollar range or so.

KarlG likes this.
  6. COSMO

COSMO Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. The lot I am appraising also has a Muskrat, it is in much better condition than this 301.

Cosmo

7. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I'll add one thing—the model you have was from 1974-1985, roughly 11 years, and is the most common of the 5-6 variations produced by Camillus. The other variations were produced anywhere from 1 year to 4 years.

Bert

KarlG likes this.
  8. STDK

STDK Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 31, 2006
    There is a lot of wear to the handles that going to the spa wont fix. The blades would come out nice though. I agree with Makeal of it being in the $ 30.00 range. Would make a fine carry knife.

9. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    If it came with the original box and papers, more. DM

10. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Send it in for a Spa treatment, then drop it in the pocket!!! KEEPER!!!!:D
    John

11. Ole Joe Clark

Ole Joe Clark

Oct 3, 2018
    Saw a mint 301 yesterday with the box (a blue one) for 30 bucks at a local pawn shop. My knife fund is depleted so it stayed there. :-(

Have a blessed day, Leon