Axe +

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Ernest DuBois, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Those extra tools that accompany us and our axes when the axe alone will not quite get the job done.
    [​IMG]
    At one time it might be axe, slick, mortise chisel and auger.
    Or axe, saw and froe.[​IMG]
    More often than not you will bring your cant hook and sappie with your axe.
    [​IMG]

cyc79, disduster, I'mSoSharp and 10 others like this.
  2. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    What’s a sappie?

3. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    So glad you ask Beach,
    [​IMG]
    gives me a chance to load this pic., all in the interest of providing a proper scale of things, you'd understand. 'Course I'm just horsing around here.
    Some might call it a picarron but I don't think it suffices, the sappy coming in at such a massive scale. With one one can maneuver even the largest stems in a variety of those non-optimal conditions, pushing, pulling, rolling, skidding, turning, lifting and so on and so on and so on...

Here a more sober look at mine.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Thanks for taking the time to post the photos...Nice looking shop and tools !!

5. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks D.O.

6. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, it’s got a nice beak for pulling, but why is it sharpened? Do you debark with it?

7. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    I guess you mean along the top of its blade? It's not particularly sharp there but has the potential though I can't say if it is hardened for taking an edge, I think not since this would make it more brittle and I have twisted the blade during heavy lifting work but it can be used nonetheless as a decent de-barker, it's done some of that too. I do maintain a sharp beak for good grip and grab. Commercially there are a number of variations available for specialized tasks.

8. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Except I have to say it, that company, for one, has vastly reduced its models since the time the catalogue (link above) was published unfortunately.

For a beach logger these would be very handy indeed. Are you gathering in cedars?

9. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    On the last picture it looks like the inside is sharpened, but I see now it’s just the light reflecting on it.
    Yes, I mostly go after yellow and red cedar for personal use for lumber and firewood.

10. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Wow, that's a neat resource you've got access to. I am truly envious.

11. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    In the future I'll try and include associated implements in use along with axes, like wedges. I invite you to do the same:).
    [​IMG]

I'mSoSharp, A17 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  12. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG] Making the fit, scribing edge with compass, trimming w/carpentry axe

Trailsawyer and A17 like this.
  13. drail

drail

Feb 23, 2008
    WONDERFUL photos!!! Thank you so much for showing us that fabulous shop. My Grandpa would be honored to hang out in a shop like yours. Wood chips and old crates and sharp tools. Oh my......

Trailsawyer likes this.
  14. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    It's just what was left to me by a very stubborn and sober-minded predecessor, but I like it too.

Meek1 likes this.
  15. Brent Halverson

Brent Halverson

Nov 16, 2020
    And the job is......... a re-make of The Woodwright's Shop that everyone has been watching since 1981 or cultivating and ripping off it's aesthetics. But this time it is you doing it so it and your other hundred posts about it is interesting all over again right?

16. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Never heard of this wood wright figure Brent, maybe you can fill in, could be interesting. You are not the only one to find my postings a bit repetitive and even uninteresting, I guess. Any suggestion about where I'm going wrong? :(

17. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    Don't worry, Ernest, you are not going wrong anywhere.
    It is Brent who got it wrong.

And Brent, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are just imagining this 're-make' based on your superficial associations:
    Look, a rarely used old timer's tool! I remember seeing those in The Woodwright's Shop too! So it must be re-make 2020!
    I just chime in and post a snarky remark - it will make me look a real arbiter of relevance, substance and style, a modern Petronius.

I don't know much about you, Brent, but seeing your post, I just had to chime in and post my opinion. You know, I am entitled to my opinions too... :p:D

18. drail

drail

Feb 23, 2008
    I watched The Woodwright Shop religiously and even bought his book. He knows some awfully useful stuff and told some great stories from the Old Timers.

19. I'mSoSharp

I'mSoSharp

Mar 8, 2011
    Personally I like Ernest's posts. :thumbsup:

A top tip for you Brent, if you don't think you're going to enjoy looking at a particular thread don't open it. It couldn't be simpler. ;)

Trailsawyer likes this.
  20. cyc79

cyc79

Feb 5, 2005
    Great thread and a shop that any lover of wood and hand tools would be thrilled to spend time in.
    Character and history, a bit of a step back in time to when the world was a simpler place.
    These kinds of photos never grow old.