Baby Bolo?

Discussion in 'Siegle Knives' started by Bill Siegle, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    I have been working on this pattern for a couple of weeks. It has gone through a few changes since I first finished it. At first it was going to be heavier with a wide flat spine. I played with it a bit and it worked fine but for it's size it was simply too heavy. Back to the grinder! I moved the bevel up to meet the spine for a full flat grind and it still chops fine for it's size but it is now also a better slicer :) Also weight is reduced a bit. I then added a choil cut similar to my recent recurve to change up the profile a little. Because it is ground out of 1/4in thick 5160 it is hardly just another utility style since it has some real chop to it. Hence the Baby Bolo name :) It is 11 1/16in overall with a 6 1/2in blade tip to handle. I used natural linen micarta for the scales. The tang is drilled out with five 1/2in holes to make it balance better right at the front of the handle scale. Weight on it(I finally bought a scale) is just a hair over 12 ounces.
    [​IMG]

2. dbltap45acp

dbltap45acp

Dec 19, 2008
    Looks good brother.

3. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Sweet blade there!

4. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    Hell yeah

5. Camber

Camber

Jul 13, 2011
    This one really does it for me!

6. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    Thanks guys! This is a pretty fun "little" blade! For all my use of folders and even small bushcraft style knives, I really prefer something with a little more chopping ability to it. This design carrys well on the belt and still retains some heft for bigger chores.

7. Diez Knives

Diez Knives

May 19, 2012
    I like that, saweet!!!

8. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    I really love how the handle gets bigger toward the end. I bet it handles really well.

9. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    I like the flaring at the end too. It fills the same role as a pommel but in a different way. Also while it is wider at the rear, I have sculpted the slabs so it creates palm swells and you still get a tight closed grip at the pommel end.

10. shaving sharp

shaving sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I have been waiting for one this size. Really like it!

11. Bill Siegle

Oct 3, 2000
    If anyone is really interested, this one can be had for $225 shipped with a Kydex sheath set up for a large tek lok(not included). :)

12. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow this is killing me!!!! I just bought another custom last Friday or I would be on this like a fat kid on a cup cake!!!!

13. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    that's a nice price.