bad benchmade first impression

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by mrdabble, Jan 25, 2014.

1. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    If you don't know who's better, you are only repeating your opinion as to their level on the quality totem pole.
    As a fact.
    Which you disapprove of. ;)

2. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    That's entirely irrelevant. But hey, whatever, brother. If you're fine with people making opinion-based factual statements, that's fine with me. :thumbup:

Let me know when you (or Tanto) are able to prove that Benchmade is better than all of the other offerings at $200 or below. Until then, it's an opinion statement that Tanto guy was trying to pass off as fact.

Except it's not a fact, which was my point.

3. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    A lot of reviews come from people who don't know any better. They haven't ever spent more than 15 dollars for a knife before and they then spend 100 on a knife and find that it beats the Tajikistan knives 100% and are ecstatic about it. Then you have others who have given their loyalty to benchmade for years, spent much, much money on benchmade knives and won't ever admit that a lot of benchmade knives are pretty crappy for the price. Then you have guys who have tried different brands and find different brands better but have some kind of nostalgia for the first decent knife they owned and will go to their grave talking about how good it is but rarely carrying it. And then you have guys that genuinely like half assed decent knives that cost too much money.

4. d0nut

d0nut

Dec 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    I guess the other guy didn't feel like addressing the vast majority of reviewers out there when he made a comment that benchmade must be good because there are so many good online reviews.

6. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Ok, Donut, I ask you the same thing I asked Stabman. Can you objectively show us all how "Benchmade is the best knife under $200"? If you can't, then leave your lame gifs at home. Thanks.

Frankly, ALL the major brands have something (or things) that they do well. So, how can a valid claim be made that one is the best over all the others?

Insert Captain Picard facepalm here. I can't be bothered.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  7. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Fair enough, good post. :thumbup:

8. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    And you know what's funny? Guys who know TRUE quality, master bladesmiths and men who've carried multiple knives made by master bladesmiths look at this argument and think the same thing about guys who like kershaw and spyderco and boker, etc and think our argument is really stupid because if you can spend 250 bucks on a knife, you can spend 350-500 and get a true hard use piece of art from a legitimate master. And all of us production knife company fanboys look like douchebags because if we wanted to go for a cheap knife, we'd get a box cutter, and if we wanted a real knife, we'd look to a master smith.

9. treeshaker

treeshaker

Dec 11, 2013
    i am very sorry if anyone actually felt I held a PHD. or worked for Benchmade. Opinion is mostly what we talk about here. I respect all opinions expressed on every issue. We are in the knife discussion/general knife forum. Regardless of what was said here, I don't care for the name calling. Knives should be 100% about fun and happiness, as with any hobby, I don't, hunt, fish, golf, bowl, etc with people who are mad. I would have sent a pm out, but the conversation is with a member who does not have that PM option. My goal was to assist the OP, who has not replied in sometime, Maybe his situation is resolved. I certainly know it would easily happen by simply contacting most Mfg. big or small. I would not blast anyone without first applying the warranty. All knives mentioned make excellent products. thanks for your time.

10. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC

Apr 4, 2007
    I personally feel the best knife is the one that makes the individual happiest regardless of price, fit & finish or materials. When applying the term "best" in the terms most people seem to be applying it there really doesnt seem to be an answer. Like most things quality is highly subjective. I have seen people claim certain knives as absolutely perfect new in a box that I would say are definitely used. Whether its lower standards, ignorance or lack of proper education on such things there simply is no true standard or unit of measure for ANYONE to prove which knife brand in the sub $200 category is "best". Its like trying to say which cologne smells best or which beer tastes best.

On topic I think benchmade just like all companies have good days and bad days. I dont think they make a poor product but I have got a few knives recently that were not perfect. I cant fault them for having a few lemons leak out. As long as they make good on it, which in my experience they have always done I will continue to buy from them.

I dont think he was trying to argue that benchmade is indeed the best. I think the facepalm was to point out the irony in your post. You are asking another member to stop stating opinions as fact yet in the very next sentence state "benchmade is not the best, at all. sorry". That in itself is actually a matter of opinion as well which seems to be a conflict of interest in regards to you desiring people not state opinion as fact. Im sure though all would have been well had you stated it like "i personally dont believe benchmade is the best for X & Y reasons". Heck with the words "I believe" used before that sentence you wouldnt even need supporting evidence as its a factual statement about your opinion of which the only person who can challenge it is yourself.

Honestly I cant say I agree with this. I know many makers who would openly admit that custom knives dont really offer anything that is stronger, sharper or more reliable that many customs. I also dont really know of any customs available in the price range you are referencing unless your talking what I call prison shank customs which are usually garage made knives from relative unknowns. Knives made by ABS master smiths usually command quite a premium. These days your price range actually applies to upper tier production and low end of mid tech/custom market. In general paying for a custom is usually a kin to purchasing any other luxury good. Your either seeking exclusivity, personal specifications or true superlative artistry. But usually I find most makers are pretty humble and know that their products are luxury items and not necessities. I dont think any maker worth his salt looks poorly on production knives. If they did I doubt many of them would allow their designs to be used in collaborations. Sure if you want specific requirements met nothing beats a custom. But functionally there is no reason to suspect that a custom knife will always be better than production. Especially in that price range.

11. fzla226

fzla226

Jun 2, 2013
    What's true hard use? A $140 benchmade or spyderco is stronger than any of those mastercraft $350 ones. What custom folders even cost that much? Most I've seen run for more around $500 to $600. The big difference between mid tech makers and the larger production companies like spyderco or benchmade is that BM and Spyderco have a lot of exclusive bits in them. I mean you don't see compression locks, ball bearing locks, axis locks, etc in those mid techs.

12. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Hey man, you're right. What was I thinking?

edit: response had more venom than intended, because frankly, this "discussion" is clownshoes and not worth my time in continued argument. I seem to have inadvertently stumbled into a nest of BM water-carriers, so I'll see myself out of this thread.

13. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
  14. jfalkos

jfalkos

Dec 26, 2013
    So you apologize and then proceed to insult the entire thread? Real mature. Your opinion and strong viewpoint against BM shows us that you have just as deluded of a viewpoint as you claim we do. The point that everyone is trying to make is that BM is a fine company. It doesn't matter if it's the best, that's not the point. All of the companies share so much nowadays and have a lot in common. BM has some good designs that people like, that'd all that matters.

15. CrialJLA

CrialJLA

Dec 17, 2008
    Had the same issue with my 707, was told it required locktite. Have not gotten around to applying it yet.

16. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Indeed.
    He has proven himself a true paragon of maturity in all its myriad facets.

Strangely though, his ongoing ranting about...nothing, actually, has motivated to buy a Benchmade as my next purchase.
    Which I hadn't planned on.

Way to go, Quiet. :)

17. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    I have knives by great knife makers.
    I still buy production knives.
    I like knives, and refuse to give in to knife price-point/brand/custom versus production snobbery. :thumbup:

18. RemyKaze

RemyKaze

Mar 23, 2012
    Agreed. Some people prefer production because they see knives as tools, rather than man jewelry. That isn't to say that people don't use customs hard, only that most snobs don't have a leg to stand on based on the idea of diminishing returns.

19. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    The poor logic and the absolute butthurt has cracked me up. "The guy said he was leaving, so let's continue to denigrate him, thus proving that we are butthurt BM fanboys who don't like people saying anything about BM we perceive as negative."

Stab, maturity? You're one to talk. :rolleyes:

20. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    I never claimed to be the paragon of maturity.
    Or the arbiter of what opinions may be stated.
    You see, I don't get ruffled by your opinions, as they don't really matter more or less than anyone else's.

Except for mine...the only opinions I actually care deeply about are my own. :)