1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by EurAzn12, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357snubnose

357snubnose Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree on USPS insurance. I sold a comic book that was damaged in shipment. My claim was for $45 (and I provided adequate support), but they decided to only pay me $40. No explanation was given as to why they refused the additional $5. I figured they just make a habit of denying the full amount. Note, that I did have the damaged book so there wasn't anything to dispute. I have no doubt that they will refuse to pay out in this current situation.

2. stonesell

stonesell Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2009
    If they are a type of sandstone concretion, that would be from the military base.

Pete1977 and Elgatodeacero like this.
  3. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Most have not had to make a claim, so it seems like an excellent idea to purchase the insurance. It is also an indication you plan to reimburse buyers on losses. It at least gives you a chance of a refund. I have heard many complaints of people being denied what seem to me as valid claims. I have also heard of many(but not as many, but that may be due to nothing to tell ) that were paid. Regardless making a claim is going to require proof of value. They are not going to pay what you insured for unless you can prove that is the true value( which can be a problem with inflated secondary market prices). You also need to plan on jumping through many hoops with USPS before any claim will be paid. Many may give up. I have only dealt with a money order claim(package ripped open in transit and contents gone and stamped so by them) and I must spent close to 3 hours and I believe waited 90 days for payment. I would tell the story to one person and they would go to the back to never return. Another person comes out and you do it all over again. I think there were 4 in all. They paid in the end, but didn't refund the shipping they never completed.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  4. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    They have those rocks at my Home Depot and Lowes too. More than likely sold nation wide at various home builder supplies.

KELAMA, Lone_Wolfe, Sleeper80 and 4 others like this.
  5. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    You gotta think. Folks who commit crimes of opportunity, are not going to replace the contents with a bag of rocks, much less have the material and time, to tape the box back up. Either the buyer or the seller had an opportunity they thought would work out in their favor, which it did not.... Funny thing is, blame in GBU is usually established within a few posts. Here we are on page 9 of this one, and still nobody knows for sure, what happened. Well, maybe for except one person...

Sleeper80 likes this.
  6. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    This - this is where USPS insurance absolutely fails. You've bought insurance for a certain amount, and you paid a premium based on that declared amount. If the package doesn't arrive - and hence you have a total loss - you should get reimbursed for the total insured amount, no questions asked.

If you insure a package for $500, and they later on determine the value was only $250, do they reimburse you the extra premium you paid for that extra $250 of coverage? Doubtful.

I could see arguing over incurred losses if the item arrived damaged (e.g., how much value did you lose due to the damage?), but lost packages should be an automatic 100% reimbursement of the insured amount. And no, I don't think that would be open to abuse more so than the current approach - even today, you could put together a package designed to self-destruct or fall apart (rendering it un-deliverable), mail some rocks insured for $1000, and when they don't arrive, pull out an Amazon receipt for an iPad, saying that's actually what you actually mailed, and expect reimbursement. Either way, the only way for USPS to prove you're lying would be to find the missing package.

I actually had a similar situation come up with car insurance - State Farm had some bad data on file, and was overcharging me for 18 months. Once I got it corrected, guess what - they sent me a check for the excess premiums I had paid over those 18 months. The fact that USPS is willing to accept premiums for the customer's valuation of the item, but then argue about it when they need to pay out, is an absolute scam.

/end rant

OilMan, gaj999, fkctrjt121 and 5 others like this.
  7. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I think only the mail carriers would have the time.
    I may have missed it, but was this delivered directly by USPS to the buyer or did it go through some military hands?
    One problem with the insurance is the postage can give away the value of the object

Quiet and Elgatodeacero like this.
  8. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    This is like an episode of Poirot. For every clue offered there is a counterpoint. Will we ever find out what happened to the MacGuffin?

I think it is more likely that an experienced and skilled criminal working a gig at the USPS would have one or more strategems at the ready to fool the postal system and make identifying them much harder to detect. A tiny pocket scale, some generic rocks, and you can instantly match the original package weight to the gram or 1/10 ounce in seconds, and send an empty, insured, high value package on its way minus the contents. i am curious how much the weight on the package differs from the received weight. This case can be solved by a postal inspector.

I am going to make a wild prediction - assuming a USPS insurance claim is made, and assuming both buyer and seller cooperate with the claims process and submit the necessary statements, the item will be located by the USPS and little or no explanation will be provided.

If any of the parties refuse to participate in making a claim, then perhaps a 3rd party is not responsible?

9. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Seriously. I've never enjoyed that part of insurance either. I mean, a small flat rate priority box that's insured for $800? Psssh, no reason for me to open THAT box here in the distro center and steal its contents, it's probably just some socks or something, right? :rolleyes:

Wilfred17 likes this.
  10. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    There used to be a box you could check when printing the label so the postage value wasn't on it, but I didn't see the option on the last thing I shipped out...

11. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    What's the point for USPS to even have the option of displaying the paid insurance fee on the box? So that its good workers know which packages are more valuable and hence handle more carefully? Or so that its bad workers know which ones to steal?

razorburn and mb> like this.
  12. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Could always hide the value with a Sharpie...

13. annr

annr Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2006
    This is why many pass on using USPS. I work with high-end merchandise (automobile price range), and that stuff NEVER goes with USPS under any circumstances. (I do use USPS for inexpensive things (under $100) that I won’t cry a river if they go missing or where the seller will only use USPS and I absolutely need the item—usually the retailer is in a position to make good on the deal if USPS fails, i.e., not a private sale.

14. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I did on that last one, but that is somewhat of a giveaway as well...

tyyreaun likes this.
  15. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    That's like when I shipped my wife's engagement ring back to the maker to replace some stones, bought the insurance and paid up the wazoo for it to have all kinds of tracking annnnd it disappears a day later. USPS says they don't know where it is but are sure it will arrive safely. Two days go by and nothing.

A call to the regional postmaster and a postal inspector and magically they find it the next day.

16. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    @EurAzn12 did you or could you weigh the box, packing paper and bag of rocks?
    USPS would have a record of the shipped weight.

17. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I don't think they weigh the flat-rate boxes.

18. CPP

CPP Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2014
    I came across a really good deal on another Rockstead and just as soon as I was about to even consider it I remembered this thread.

TenShun705 likes this.
  19. JackTheKnifeGuy

JackTheKnifeGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2017
    You know...I wouldn't put it past my girlfriend to hide one of my knives to see me lose my mind looking for it. She says I have a "problem". Whatever that means.:thumbsdown:
    Pranked by the wife maybe?

All in all I think a postal inspector is needed for this one. Leave it to the pros.

20. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    The only person insurance is paid put to is the shipper since they paid for it, not the buyer.

Personally I'd be suspect of the postal carrier. Someone mentioned the tape not being tampered with. But you don't know it was even shipped with tape to begin with.

I'm not defending the seller/shipper, but I can't imagine why they'd put their return address (assuming its legit) on the front and put tape over both names to protect them in shipment. I mean, if you actually sent rocks, why would you care if the shipping address was protected, it would actually benefit you if it wasn't delivered or was lost...right?

Pretty crazy all around.

Mail fraud?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.