Bader Contact wheel Question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by madams, Dec 20, 2009.

1. madams

madams

Jul 19, 2006
    I just put a new 3" contact wheel on my Bader and it will not track straight. When I apply pressure on the belt it moves all over the place. I have tried increasing and decreasing the belt tension and it does not help. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help. Mike

2. Will Leavitt

Will Leavitt

Jul 28, 2006
    While I've never changed tools out on a Bader there are 2 things that come to mind.

a. Check to make sure the wheel is square to the other wheels and all the wheels are square to each other.

b. See if the wheel is crowned or not. Try adding a strip of masking tape around the drive wheel, that may help.

I'd say most likely something's out of square, that used to happen on my BK when I changed set ups.

3. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    more belt tension

or a different belt ?

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint

Jun 23, 2006
    Mike - if it's a BIII and the other wheel tracks fine, then I would also suggest more tension. Failing that, do you know that the wheel is true and turns true?

If it's a BII then there are more things that can affect the tracking than the BIII.

5. fitzo

fitzo

Aug 14, 2001
    Put a square to it and check the face to see if it dips to the middle. Check the edges of the rubber to make sure they don't form a little tiny lip sticking up; if they do, you have to drift the belt off each side and VERY gently break the edge just a HAIR with a coarse file. If the center sticks up more than the edges or it's not very ssquare, that's a tougher problem and I'd contact the vendor.

6. madams

madams

Jul 19, 2006
    Sounds great guys I'll try the above fixes and hope that will work. Thanks alot for the help.

7. Al Polkowski

Al Polkowski

Nov 24, 1999
    If the Bader was tracking well with your other wheels and it doesn't with the 3" wheel.........well.....

www.polkowskiknives.com

8. madams

madams

Jul 19, 2006
    Yep it tracks fine with the 8" and 10" wheels so thats why I can't understand why it is giving me such a problem with the 3" wheel. I wll try the tape on the idler and see what happens.