Bahadur earned its keep

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Qeth, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    So my plans to use the tarwar to clear some brush went out the door due to weather. Still, there were plenty of chores to do. I had to get rid of a box mattress. The garbage collectors won't take the big piece, so I had to break it down.

I used the Bahadur I received in a trade.

[​IMG]

The wood planks were promptly turned into shorter, smaller slivers. Bahadur was very hatchet-like in its ability to split the planks, and very minimal batoning was needed. Handled the job like a champ.

Now, I have a question for you folks. Here's what my edge looks like now:

[​IMG]
    Accidentally hit a nail that I didn't take out. This ding was totally my fault. The rest of the pics are all blade vs wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FWIW, I used a wooden backstop. Is this normal? I've read a few posts about the polishing process and how there's a harder steel underneath after initial use, but this fellah has been used and resharpened by the time it got to me.

2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Minimal fracturing like this can be considered normal.
    It sharpens out without too much work.
    If it had torn out larger sections of the steel, i might be inclined to think that it was overhardened. If the edge dented in or profusely folded, i might be inclined to think it was left too soft.
    Unless my eyes are decieving me, it looks like you have some secondary bevel going on there. It is recommended that these blades keep the convex profile that they normally come with.

3. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks Karda. The previous owner must have reprofiled the blade. I'll go ahead and resharpen it and hopefully get the burrs out.

4. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    No problem, Qeth.
    Small things like this come with usage, as do the scuffs and scars.
    It is when they become major that it becomes an issue.

I have a 12 Siru by the royal Kami.(who really knows his stuff, sweet spot is perfect.) I used it one day to get rid of a small stand of approximately 1"-3" circumference sumac and brush. The blade ended up looking much like yours even though i was very careful to not hit the ground. It also had scuffs all over it. A couple hours with a file and some sandpaper and i was ready for the buffing wheel. She cleaned up to look like i had never taken her out of her sheath.

5. jdk1

jdk1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I've had issues with high polished blades before. They sharpened out for me pretty quickly. Don't forget to "steel" or burnish the edge with a chakma or butcher's steel. I was very skeptical of this until I tried it using the chakma from my WWII. Man, I was blown away how well that little chakma smoothed things out. I followed up with a little stoning and sandpaper. The blades are good to go now. Your photos seem to show small rolls mainly, I think a steel will work wonders on it. Take care.

6. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    I don't mind the scuffs and a chip or two, adds character. Battle scars hard earned. So long as it's chopping isn't affected ;)

I'll take steel to it first before the diamond stones. Thanks for the advice!

7. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    Jdk1 beat me to what I was going to say about steeling the edge first. Nice knife you have there. Looks like it handled the chopping well considering. Would love to see it in the field.

8. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Upon more research, I realized I put that bevel there. I've been sharpening with DMT diamond stones, and since it's straight and rigid I flattened out the convex. I've found the kukri sharpening how-to with sandpaper+mouse pad.

I ordered sandpaper (3M) in the following grits:

Course (60), Medium, Fine (150), extra fine (220), and then higher ones that go by "grades": 800, 1500, and 2000.

After taking steel to the edge, what grit should I start at? 220?

9. snow and steel

snow and steel

Mar 5, 2011
    220, then 400, then 600, then 800. available at any local hardware store.

10. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks. How long should I keep at the steel?

11. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    Hey folks, just saw your post over on the Becker section Qeth. Where do I get one of these? This blade is just downright sexy.

12. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Looks like a BK Brute, doesn't it? ;)

Contact Yangdu @ [email protected]. I asked her a few weeks ago for a tamang or bahadur, but she was out. I was fortunate enough to land a trade for this bahadur. You might get lucky and she might have new ones in stock.

13. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    After chopping with mine the sides of the polished blade are always badly scuffed. I just spray with WD40 or any oil and then rub out with a scotchbrite pad. It removes all the scuffs easily and leaves a nice satin finish. If you want full polish you can always buff it back but why bother?

I know you'll be able to get those small chips out with a little bit of work.

FYI, KH made a "Bahadur" that was a smaller version of the HI. I sold mine as I really wasn't happy with the way they did the blade grind, and at about 12-13" OAL it was a nice knife but didn't have the chopping power I wanted. I'd like to get a larger HI version someday.

Norm

14. wildmanh

wildmanh Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker

Jul 9, 2000
    Derek, welcome to the HI side of Bladeforums! Contact Yangdu as Qeth sugested. She'll hook you up or tell you when to get one.

Beckers and Khukris play nicely together. ;) Stick around and enjoy the fun!

15. DanSmithy

DanSmithy

Jul 19, 2010
    AAA+ for that advice.:thumbup:
    Most people (including me in the begining) seem to underestimate the use of the chakma. Not surprizingly...as it really don't look like much compared to the big hulk in the sheat.
    They do work wonders with some practice (ok a lot of practice is better:D)
    Just BE CAREFUL not to cut your fingers off;)

Still, for an emergency on-the-field-use, they do a good job of bending back curled edges and sharpening the blade.
    A friend of mine was beyound amazed when I sharpened his dulled CS when we were out fishing.

16. Qeth

Qeth

Dec 13, 2010
    Update for posterity:

Steel, and the the sandpaper + mousepad method of sharpening took out most of the damage. There two remaining burrs/ chips are battle earned scars. Still chops like very well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    I put a chip like that in a couple of mine. Did pretty much the same thing, I hit a piece of barbed wire. Some numbskull had used a live tree to anchor barbed wire to -- and he didn't just staple or nail it in place, he wrapped it around the trunk. The rest of it apparently rusted and rotted away, and the tree grew over the barbed wire and healed itself over it.

Thunk, thunk, chink. . ."Aww, son of a --". I ended up murdering a $6 hardware store hatchet chopping around (and into) the piece of fence in the tree.