1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

bandsaw blade material ...for knives?

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by marc4fishing, Nov 26, 2016.

1. marc4fishing

marc4fishing

May 23, 2011
    At work the other night noticed a couple of 12' lengths of lenox rx+ bandsaws. Well long story short I know have a knapsack full of 12-15 inch pieces. Has anyone ever used this stuff and what is it made of...

2. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    An old shoe maker once told me that they used to make work knives out of band saw blades.
    "It 'd take hours to get a bevel but once you've done it they'd stay sharp realy long"
    No personal experience tho

3. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I think what you have is a bi-metal blade. Probably not that useful. The uddenholm monosteel blades are 15n20. Great bladesteel.

4. Bo T

Bo T

Feb 12, 2011
    If you don't mind grinding a bit, try a sheepsfoot. Probably not good for forging a bevel and heat treat.

5. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Thoes are bimetal blades which means only the teath are hardened. The blade body is a med carbon steel that is chosen to be tough and flexible. It can be heat treated to be harder but generally not considered a knife grade steel. I have tossed lots of thoes bandsaw blades in the trash without a hesitation and I love reusing steel. I do have a really long roll of bimetal blade that I do use for knives. It's around .065 thick and 2" wide. I remove the teath and use the body for Damascus by mixing it with 15n20. Works really well and when pared up with the 15n20 it's really tough.

6. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    I have a stack of similar blades I intended to use the same way. Actually, I plan to make a layered billet and then use that to make a 3 layer billet with a 15N20 core. So damascus exterior, mono 15N20 edge.

7. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Sounds like you need a box of 15n20 ;)

8. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    This is steel from bi-metal Bahco SANDFLEX I HT today .Hard like glass :)

[​IMG]