Photos Bark River Crusader "Issues"?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Igor_xl, Apr 20, 2020.

1. AndrewH60

AndrewH60 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2019
    Maybe the retailer would consider a refund?

2. Igor_xl

Igor_xl

Apr 9, 2020
    I got on a call with them this morning and all they are willing to do is an in-store credit... pretty weak customer service

3. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    I think the asymetric grind is too severe. It's a very nice knife model, but I'd want a replacement. I get my Bark Rivers from dlttrading and I've never seen any problems like that before. Who was the retailer?

4. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Those issues are completely unacceptable,even as a user. Not at that price.that difference in the grind heights alone is horrible;not to mention all the other imperfections.There are so many other choices for less that would not have any of those issues.What if those jimokees heat treated it the same way they finished it? Bark River chalks up another winner...

5. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I know you are reluctant to out the retailer, but how else does information get disseminated?

6. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    You could get two good knives for the price of one maybe. Better than one with multiple flaws. Not ideal granted.

Smiling likes this.
  7. 017

Mar 31, 2016
    I'd be more worried that it is actually 3V... :eek:

Who's the retailer? Those who charge restocking fees are bad enough, but only giving store credit is a bit extreme.

Igor_xl likes this.
  8. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    The retailer should have checked the knife before shipping it, it is their fault. Insist. That last picture with the paper sliding between scale and tang is horrific. Did you pay with a credit card? Any chance to sort it out with your bank to help pushing them?

I have two Bark Rivers, expensive by my standards, and far from perfect in several ways.

Mikel

Smiling likes this.
  9. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Some banks will reverse the payment if they see unfair or fradulent practice. Especially if there are laws about it in your country. Anything I order online I can return it within 14 days after receiving the item and get a full refund, even without a reason. Those laws only apply to online and telephone orders.

10. pxl

pxl

Sep 15, 2016
    I have the same problem with my Barkies. I fixed it myself, but I won’t be buying a new one for this price point. I don’t accept this finish. Hand made for me is no excuse for a sloppy finish. For me it is a lack of craftsmanship or time and dedication.

razorburn and Smiling like this.
  11. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This is really where I'm at with it. Sure, those flaws won't mean much if it's a user, but I don't like giving ANY company a pass for shoddy work. That sends them a clear message that people don't care, they'll eat whatever's served, even if it's a [email protected]#% sandwich.

And I don't eat @#% sammies.

Lee D, WValtakis, Edgeoflife and 3 others like this.
  12. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This takes it from cosmetic flaws to the mechanical. All you need is some moisture to seep under that, and you'll have an issue on(well, under) your hands before too long.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    If the seller can't help you, I'd send it back to Bark River for some touch up grinding. I wouldn't worry much about the scratches unless they are deep.

I normally don't send things back or exchange them due to imperfections, but at this price range I would do it.

14. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    This is not normal for BRKT. Contact them and send it back.

15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I don't think so either. Send it back for a fix or replacement. Slight grind differences I can see, but this is not slight.

Fn_perfect13 and Ben Dover like this.
  16. Igor_xl

Igor_xl

Apr 9, 2020
    Hey guys, just wanted to provide an update on this.

I reached out to the retailer one last time pointing them to this thread, and they came around and agreed to refund. I won't mention the retailer at this time, but as a lesson to us all, always check return policies when making a purchase.

Thanks so much to everybody for your valuable input! Very much appreciated.

353, Mikael W, palonej and 8 others like this.
  17. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    Great outcome. Well done for persisting. :thumbsup:

18. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Great!!!! I’m glad it finally worked out for you, but the retailer shouldn’t have given you the run around the way they did.

19. Mikael W

Mikael W Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Thanks for the update! DLT and KSF and TKC are 3 dealers I can recommend.
    Regards
    Mikael

20. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I'm glad it got resolved for you :)