Barmaley's Aggregated Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Barmaley, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 13, 2015
    This microscope lends itself to focus stacking. It has this feature built-in, but I prefer to DIY using 3rd-party software.

Here's a relatively clean region of an edge, with just a few bits of burr, seen edge-on:

[​IMG]

This region has much more burr:

[​IMG]

bucketstove likes this.
  2. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Fabric can have its downsides. Denim has a weave direction, and other fabrics have their own issues. The leather should be great.

Its important that you have faith in your tools but with VG10, we're not talking about something that's difficult to sharpen.

Don't drive yourself crazy with this... I'd save that energy for the diamond and CBN compounds.

3. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Buy compound by type of abrasive and grit size, not by color. AlOx and Sic are great for older steels. CBN and diamond for more modern steels/

4. Diemaker

Diemaker KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 28, 2017
    No, loose abrasive and a little water on a flat plate.

5. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    IIRC magnesia bonded stones should not be permasoaked.

6. Barmaley

Barmaley

Dec 31, 2016
    what is loose abrasive? Sorry for my primitive questions:confused:

bucketstove likes this.
  7. Barmaley

Barmaley

Dec 31, 2016
    Do I need to get several abrasives or I one would be sufficient if it is diamond? Is it good for both soft and hard steels?

8. Barmaley

Barmaley

Dec 31, 2016
    Hi Guys,

I am planning to make a fan project: it is a cabbage shredder board. I bought one and it was really cheap and knives were dull. Since I learnt the basics of sharpening I would like to make a shredder for sauerkraut Russian style. For that I need to shred a lot of cabbage. I would like to do something similar to:
    For this project I would need 4 strips of steel to make blades. The requirements are: they have to be stainless, 12" long and from such a steel that can be sharpened for a razor sharpness. I have to be able to drill holes at the end of each. Do you have any suggestion on where can I get the proper bars of steel?

kreisler and bucketstove like this.
  9. Papilio

Papilio

Sep 6, 2019
    Several abrasives would mean you need several strops. I don't think that's necessary. Don't take it too serious, that kills the fun.
    Diamond should work both for both soft and hard steels. Diamond is the hardest abrasive available.

Mr.Wizard likes this.
  10. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Unbonded abrasive particles; think sand. Typically silicon carbide (SiC) which is available from rock tumbling hobby shops for a few dollars a pound, and you don't need a full pound of it. I recommend getting a grit "kit" that includes coarse, medium, fine, and polish (alumina rather than SiC), as these are useful at different times.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lapping-stones-for-flatness.1586470/

bucketstove likes this.
  11. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Are you going to be hardening the metal yourself or do you need it in the hardened-and-tempered form? If you are going to drill hardened steel you'll need carbide bits I believe.

12. Barmaley

Barmaley

Dec 31, 2016
    I need the hardened-and-tempered form of the blanks. The shape of the blades is most simple straight line so I am ready to take long time for sharpening from scratch of the blank form since I have not equipment for heat treatment.

13. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    @Barmaley I had a cabbage shredder for making sauerkraut and mine only had 2 blades so even if you go with 2 or 3 blades you should be fine,also I don't know if you have ever made sauerkraut before but if you haven't be sure to use pickling salt it's more coarse and for whatever reason it turns out much better when you use pickling salt.

14. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    It means to scratch the surface , to refresh the surface, to resurface, to recondition (those are you search keywords) ...
    it doesn't take long 20 seconds max as you're not flattening merely
    making a worn/dulled/shiny shiny stone surface
    not shiny again

15. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    and what does that look like with the flashlight method? :)

16. Barmaley

Barmaley

Dec 31, 2016
    :)

17. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I really like the Flitz paste...I used it for yrs to polish gun parts...and more recently to polish my finished blade edges.

Ben Dover likes this.
  18. Barmaley

Barmaley

Dec 31, 2016
    Hey Wade,

I do sauerkraut about once a month! Do you know that you may do sauerkraut without salt at all. The fermentation goes even faster, however it will get too sour too soon.and I am tired of cleaning the mess I leave every time around of cabbage and carrot shavings - LOL.

That is why I want really sharp blades for a board which can drop all cuts in a bucket under it. The problem is to find the blades thus I could sharpen them razor sharp, and they have to be sturdy. I am sure that a self-made edge-pro (i did mine of two pieces of 2x4 boards and a foot square piece of oak step ;)) will do wonder for the blades provided that I could find the blanks.

19. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    I wonder if you can make high-speed-steel hacksaw blades work. The bi-metal blades won't work because only the tips of the teeth are hard. But these are 12" long, hardened, and they already have a hole in each end. If you keep them under tension, just like in a hacksaw, they should remain flat enough I think; that could take some design work.

[​IMG]

20. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,

Do do doo

sharpest scissor made of "$1 kitchen knife" in the world - kiwami japan

OTOH, even the kitchen sink can be sharpened well enough :)
    this is not a knife steel
    (ex search for knife steel 434-x-20-x-1mm-skinner-420j2-stainless-steel-100box )
    its a kitchen sink steel, cant be heat treated, wont shave, slices printer paper very well (also push cuts its)
    Minimul Quick Test on 304 stainless - cKc knivesandstuff