1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Battle Blades--Review of HI World War II, M-43, Gelbu Special and Tora Blades M-2

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Jack Corbett, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    We should probably lay off, this thread should really have been in the Cantina me thinks anyhow and we've drifted so far off the ops original post, that we're disrespecting his efforts in creating his video (I love the Teddy Bears too).

Been a long time since we had any cyber jousting round these parts.

2. gurkha berserka

gurkha berserka

Aug 16, 2014
    :D Thanks guys!

3. mmundy4579

mmundy4579

Oct 24, 2015
    Hi guys,

Im a new commer to the forum I have been hanging out for about the past month. I have been a knife/sword collector for the past twenty years. I have purchased seven knives from HI the most expensive one being $135 dollars. I have $600 semi-custom knives that are visually perfect with flawless cnc machined grinds ect. The problem is they have no soul that is what you get from HI a knife with a mans blood and sweat literally pounded into the steel. Is a hand made knife heat treated by a man with a teapot full of water to gradually cool the steel going to be perfect absolutely not. I recived a knife from yangdu on a DOTD special for 85 dollars shiping included when it arrived I removed it from its sheath and when I went to reinsert the blade the wood split and the tip of my knife went right through the buffalo hide making a two inch gash. I took pics and emailed auntie and she said send it back I will return it with a new sheath. I declined and said I would repair it myself I felt the value I recived far outweighed the minor cosmetic damage that occured. She was already most likely making only a small profit and by asking for a replacement sheath I am sure I would have cost her money. I am unwilling to do that because I know her business keeps a dying art alive and gives the dignity of earning a living wage to people who need it the most. So when you buy a handmade product built without all the convince of modern equipment realize it will have imperfections. And remember bronze age wepons could be dented with a finger nail yet they killed people for a thousand years heck the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids with bronze tools. Only an armchair commando wants an edge so hard he needs a diamond rod to sharpen it because any man who has been in the field with a small LRRP knows a knife you can sharpen on a river rock or a piece of concrete is a must.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  4. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    Well said Mr. Mundy!

5. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
  6. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Street Samurai

Apr 21, 2012
    Thank you for the video OP.

7. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    i have a couple of bronze weapons, neither can be marked with a fingernail.

a minor note: bronze weapons were not quite as soft as that. compared to modern steel, they are softer, but they were probably better than most iron age weapons, iron was cheaper once they figured out how to smelt it, but it was either too soft or too brittle compared to bronze. modern made bronze weapons with the ancient copper/tin ratio and properly work-hardened & sharpened edges have been used in 'duels' with steel ones and faired quite well against them. the egyptians who did the pyramids used copper chisels by the way, not bronze.

8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Excellent video OP. Unfortunately this thread took an ugly turn early on.
    Since this is a review thread, I'm going to pop it over to the Cantina. I hate closing threads, so I'm going to leave it open unless the boat gets capsized again.

9. Max42

Max42

Jul 13, 2015
    um, whats a 'KLO'?

10. Max42

Max42

Jul 13, 2015
    Yo. This ain't cool.
    ...I tend to agree wholeheartedly with most your comments on blades generally GB, had to speak up on this as my mom would of been sternly disapproving if I'd ever made a statement like yours! ;)

IMHO:
    We are all enculturated to be in certain ways, and we all have our own choices (self individuation) to make as we mature in how we integrate or discard/replace those learnings.

Obviously, almost everyone makes passive aggressive statements at some point in their lives.

Also obviously, almost everyone's perceptions of others are sometimes prejudiced.

That said, while the teddy bears in the background were perhaps a tad creepy given the subject matter, JC put some work into the post... so, thought I'd say thanks =)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  11. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    KLO= Khukuri Like Object.
    Lets please curtail the usage of profane remarks on this forum. Thanks.

12. Max42

Max42

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks for the infor re 'KLO'

As to your other comment... I do not understand. Do you mean that we should keep the conversation on Kukri? If so, I totally agree!

I posted the comment because I do not feel that it is appropriate to post comments which stereotype/denigrate whole groups of people, especially based upon their gender. I understand that GB was perhaps posting in the midst of a heated exchange and did not really mean to specifically disrespect women generally... never the less, I feel that this sort of thing must be commented upon, esp in internet forums - how might it feel to be a woman reading this thread?

Aloha, Max

13. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    That is what I mean. We have ladies and others who shouldnt have to see it here. Yangdu doesn't want it here. Nor does she like seeing fighting, animosities being bred here or posts containing references to the competition.

The thread was back on topic until post #50. Perhaps it is time it was closed?

14. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    Karda, if you're considering putting it to bed, you certainly have my vote. Not that you need it, of course. :thumbup:

15. Max42

Max42

Jul 13, 2015
    re 'whipped my...'
    gottcha... no problem. I've edited my post - though, to be clear, I stand by my comments generally re respect for others in HI posts.

As I would have said something about GB's comment in person, I also said something here.

This is a real issue for me, and I wish that HI Moderators would have stepped in at the time instead of letting it slide.

As I needed to address this issue and yet did not wish to cause a ruckus, I used the phrase (and the winky face) to soften my comment to GB - I was mirroring their statement in post #21 "My dad would of whipped my *** if I ever made a statement like yourss"

Will refrain from any such language in future. Thanks for the correction!

16. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    The entire issue was addressed in post #48.
    Additional off topic commentary is unnecessary and only serves to further degrade the thread.
    If you have commentary pertinent to the original topic, you are welcome to post it.
    Commentary on the off topic parts of this thread are unwelcome.

17. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    If I still had my tools, I'd have closed it already.

18. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Steely or Howard, do the honors?

I got no tools either.

19. Max42

Max42

Jul 13, 2015
    Karda, while I'm fairly confident that you are simply doing your best to steward the community I must say that your reply has offended me. To my eyes, post #48 certainly did not address this issue other than to sorta sweep the whole thread under the rug, though I do agree that this thread likely deserves to be closed.

I am new here, yet I am also sincere and have probably sent Yangdu and HI well over $1,000 USD already and I feel that that gives me some standing beyond common civility to make the strong comments I am making - yes I get nice blades, yet I'm also in it to support an awesome company and community.

I want to refer my wife to these forums and I don't want her to feel that she is disrespected or unwelcome here.

I feel that the Moderators have ignored this issue as well as marginalized/silenced my attempts to bring it up... I am forced to wonder if this is because GB is a longstanding member of the community?

I do not mean to be a jerk here, only very clear: if misogyny - even in small doses - is tolerated (let alone protected) in the HI forums I will cease doing business with HI.

I intend to email Yangdu about this...again, I'm not doing this for kicks - this is a serious matter for me even if y'all don't agree personally.

Sincerely, and with Kind Regards, Max

20. blue lander

blue lander

Aug 16, 2011
    I think there must have been some sort of intradimension rift in the space/time fabric of the universe, and a thread from a bizarro alternate reality got posted on our board. An alternate reality where HI forum goers aren't the coolest/friendliest/most helpful people around.

That's the only explanation that doesn't make me feel very depressed at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.