1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Bear with us.

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Bill Martino, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    It's obvious to me and probably everybody else that we are making out share of mistakes these days at HI. Although it looks like I'm not going to keel over dead anytime in the very near future I'm still not out of the woods and have tests and doctor's appointments scheduled all the way to Sept. 17. I'm on about 20 different meds per day including morphine and dilaudid, both narcotics. I'm making mistakes at the screen and Yangdu (who is as nervous as a cat and worrying so much she is showing signs of developing an ulcer) is making them in the shipping department.

So, that's it. We are not able to operate as we did before I started coming down with kidney cysts, aortic aneurisms (reminds me, gotta call the cardiologist), pancreatic tumors, failing section of large intestine -- along with severe to excruciating pain, night chills and sweats (no sleep) and fighting a depression that wants put me in the VA mental section.

So, please bear with us. I can't see it getting any worse and we're getting orders and shipments 90% + correct.

It's either wade thru it the best we can or quit and quitting is really not an option for me -- too much of a hardhead.

2. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    Glad to hear it from you, Bill. You have my vote and my patience. I'll stop leaving scary messages on your answering machine and sending demanding messages......for one week....best I can do....

:D

Boy...we got to the "bear" part of this thread right from the start....wonder where it's headed from here?

:D

:p

3. t1mpani

t1mpani

Jun 6, 2002
    I've been too seldom visiting here recently to know what this thread is specifically referring to, but I do know that you've always taken care of us and have always been patient and helpful beyond what anybody could ask, so I don't think anybody will leave in a huff if you hit a wrinkle or two with all you've got going on---nobody we'd want hanging around, anyway. :)

Thanks for all you do Uncle Bill, and be sure to do what you need to do.

Warren

4. KRAKEN

KRAKEN Banned by Moderators Banned

Jun 28, 2004
    hi uncle bill i read with concern your depression, i have suffered with depression for decades.
    i hung tough for 13 yrs before seeking medical help.
    but finaly went to the docs and they prescribed ZOLOFT for me.
    well what a fool i had been to wait so long my depression now is a fraction of what it was and am nearly back to normal now.
    i still have the occasssional bad days but dont we all.

WELL ANYWAY BILL GO TO THE DOCS FOR ANTI DEPRESSENTS THEY REALY DO WORK AND ARE A GODSEND.

SOME MAKE YOU DROUSY ECT THOUGH SO SUGGEST TO YOUR DOC ZOLOFT AS THIS SEEMS ALMOST SIDE EFFECT FREE AND VERY EFFECTIVE. REGARDS KEN :)

5. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
    :)

You're still doing better than 90%+ of the businesses out there.

Best wishes & prayers for all.

6. Rusty

Rusty Moderator Moderator

Mar 8, 1999
    Not to worry -

Worse comes to worst we'll turn this into a Bear thread. Those are always popular. ;)

Seriously: a lot of smoke's going up, and it isn't just the fire out of Carson City.

7. Cabbit

Cabbit

Apr 2, 2004
    No problem, just concentrate on getting well.

8. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Kraken, your post just about brought me to tears. Folks really don't know unless they've been there. I have some pills from VA for depression but they don't seem to be doing any good. Maybe 25 or 30 years ago I fell into a deep depression for about 6 weeks. Closest we can come to hell in this life. Sat in a chair and stared at the space on the floor between my feet. Didn't talk or do much of anything. Don't know how I ever worked my way out of it but I do know for sure I never want to go there again.

I've been fighting constant low level pain for the past 2 or 3 weeks and it's getting to me. It's always there. Last thing at night I'm aware of it. First thing in the AM I'm aware of it. While I'm typing this I'm aware of it and it's distracting and one of the reasons I'm making mistakes. Every now and then I'll take a dilaudid just to escape for a couple of hours but I don't want to get on the narcotics 24/7 because of it. Constant pain like this can lead to depression so I have a double battle to fight.

Well, nobody ever said it was going to be easy.

9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Hang in there, Uncle Bill. You and Yangdu are doing a great job of keeping things going. A bump in the road is that just that, a bump, not the end of the world. Take care of yourself. All of us in the Cantina would rather see you and Yangdu in good shape not sweating the little stuff rather than shipping out at 100% and being a couple of wrecks. You two are more important to us than any khuk will ever be. Smoke and Prayers.

~Jake

10. MacHete

MacHete Hair Cropper & Chipmunk Wrangler

Apr 7, 2000
    That sums it up very nicely. :) I have had no discretionary income to spend on Khuks lately, but maybe that's a good thing for both of us. ;)

11. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    Uncle Bill,

One thing that rings true through your difficulties, both medical and business, is that you have a large group of people who love you. You have a whole bunch of Nepali folk, and an expanding group of "foster" kids in the cantina who care a lot about you. It is my hope that in those instances when you are feeling your worst that you might find some solace in the fact that at that same moment, someone, somewhere in the world is thinking of you, and praying for you. Your tenacity, though it can be wearisome to you at times, is an inspiration to us all. To me, Bill, How you conduct yourself and your business enbodies what real men (and women, too) admire: GRIT!

It is my sincerest hope that any harsh feedback about misshipped items doesn't come from the cantina. If so, SHAME ON US! Of couse we understand, and if we are all honest, we'd be lucky to be 45% right in the same situation.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Uncle.

-Craig

P.S. In regards to "Bears" and "Shipping" I have but one question:

Do Bears Ship in the Woods??? :rolleyes: :D :D :D

(That killed vaudville! :D )

12. mamav

mamav

Apr 23, 2003
    Uncle, Is there anything besides prayer that we can physically do for you and Yangdu?? Do let us know. In the meantime, I will continue to pray for you daily.

13. manghu67

manghu67 American Kami Custom Blades / Knifemaker

Oct 24, 2000
    smoke and prayers sent up...

hang tough, uncle!

14. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Uncle, with the physical problems you've been having, it would be a miracle if you were not depressed (one da*n thing after another!). But you keep keeping on. That should be an inspiration to the rest of us.

15. 37up

37up

Jun 16, 2002
    I'd put your health above "mistakes and lateness" anytime Uncle.

16. manghu67

manghu67 American Kami Custom Blades / Knifemaker

Oct 24, 2000
    i think what dave hahn says sums it up perfectly...

17. ms267

ms267

Jan 6, 2004
    Uncle Bill,

For what it's worth, you have all our prayers and blessings, today. Thanks for doing the work you do.

18. J.Davey

J.Davey

Feb 10, 2004
    Bill, depression is the hardest thing in the world to deal with. I take an anti depressant daily and it does a good job. I went through a severe depression when I found out (in my mid-twenties) that I had a near 100% blockage in a branch off of an artery. I was told that I would have had a major (i.e. deadly) heart attack had they not caught it when they did. Very tough to find out that you have heart disease in your twenties, but that stuff runs in my family really bad, so I should have known. What I'm getting at here is that I'm healthier now than I have ever been (5 years with no signs of further problems), no depression, and no limitations on my life. If I pulled through, anyone can, and I'm quite sure that you will. Take good care of yourself and get better! The rest of us will wait patiently! ;)

19. gravertom

gravertom

Jun 4, 2004
    No worries here! :)

Concerend about you two though. :(

Will keep praying.

Tom

20. Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Jun 9, 1999
    Just remember that the Cantina is always here for you with whatever you may need. You have only to say the word.