Becker Free Fallin’ Snarkin’

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by GeofS, Sep 23, 2019.

1. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Nice!

JJ_Colt45, Xr6x, GeofS and 1 other person like this.
  2. gmoneyluv

gmoneyluv Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2012
    That's a great deal! Congrats!

JJ_Colt45, Xr6x, Tanker 1/66 and 2 others like this.
  3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008

JJ_Colt45, MolokaiRider, Xr6x and 2 others like this.
  4. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Gun season for deer opens Saturday. Just finished packing all ma gear. Heading out early from work tomorrow. 2 doe tags in my my back tag:):)

JJ_Colt45, tanglediver, Xr6x and 2 others like this.
  5. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Dizam, haha. The ol' Johnny Walker, Sambuca, and Rakisi sure did kick in tonight. :thumbsup:

6. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    That’s quite a mix! :)

7. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Haha, I hear that. Went to the fil's tonight. He and I like to put one on. ;) Drank a few JW's before eating sweet and sour meatballs the wife made. They like to drink espresso with Sambuca in it. Not a coffee person here, so I just drink a few shots straight. Later on, the wife broke out the Rakisi.

8. DunkEm

DunkEm Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2013
    OK tall people. I need a vehicle recommendation. Just sat in a new F150 without the adjustable driver's seat and my head was almost touching the ceiling (at least my freshly cut hair was). That's a no go for me. Yes I could get the power seat option but that's more $$$$$. So what do you recommend that's five years old or less for the 6' 3" crowd?

Xr6x, GeofS and 91bravo like this.
  9. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    I’m 6’2’’ and I have plenty of head room in a Silverado

Xr6x, JJ_Colt45, GeofS and 2 others like this.
  10. DunkEm

Dec 9, 2013
    What year is it? My 2010 F150 has plenty as well, but the family vehicle situations may dictate that I don't keep it much longer. (ie oldest son needs a reliable vehicle)

11. tanglediver

tanglediver Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Never thought about it being less than 75 inches from earth.
    A sawzall and a skylight dome, and some touch-up paint... :rolleyes:
    I'm bumpin' my head on this one. :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Xr6x, MolokaiRider, GeofS and 2 others like this.
  12. DunkEm

Dec 9, 2013
    I'll pick up some duct tape so the dome is rain proof!

13. Tanker 1/66

May 18, 2015
    Woke up at 3:30am. Our cold front didn’t come thru so it’s going to be a lil warmer in my tree stand this first morning. Current temp 34*

Xr6x, GeofS, JJ_Colt45 and 1 other person like this.
  14. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Winter surf is perfect so far. Stay safe BeckerHeads!
    8F297910-E7F8-439E-94BA-E748DEF332F4.jpeg

15. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    SWMBO woke up with a migraine, so she didn't go to her 15k race today, which means I'm home taking care of her instead of sitting under a tree waiting for breakfast to amble by, chewing her cud.

nice surf pic!

16. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    You'll get out there soon. On the other hand, I got my second doe this morning, so no more does for me this year. Only got 1 buck (9 point on opening day) so far, so I have another buck tag waiting.

So far, we've nailed 5 does and a buck off the property this year. Hoping my BIL and nephews get some more does tomorrow, the last day of doe season here in Bell County. They all have doe tags left.

This is the first year in about 40 that we have a real doe season (just the 1st 2 weeks of rifle season) east of IH 35 on Bell County.

With the piss-poor management by TPWD here in Bell County, the deer are destroying more crops that the damn feral hogs. Our wheat field yield was about 55 bushels to the acre near the road. The yield dropped as the combine neared the creek. The last 15 - 20 acres had a yield of only 22 BPA, a really poor result.

Last spring I saw 28 deer munching away on crops in the field south of the creek and another 18 north of the creek. That was 46 deer just on our 150 acres at the lower farm. That count did NOT include the deer I saw in neighbors' fields adjacent to out lower farm or on the fields near the house on the 162 acre upper farm. Last week Thursday, I had my pick of an 8 point, a 7 point, a spike, 4 does and 5 yearlings less than 70 yards from my stand at one time. The problem there was to damn many deer. I couldn't move to raise my rifle without spooking 1 or more who were looking in my direction at any one time.

Tanker 1/66, Xr6x and MolokaiRider like this.
  17. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    can you get a varmint permit for earlier in the year?

18. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Love me some MM, iffin you didn't already know. Put one on tonight, haha.

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  19. The Warrior

Mar 11, 2011
    Went to the antique mall earlier, and damn near purchased a couple of vintage Coleman lanterns. A 220F model, they wanted $32 for, which is a fair price, and an old 242C model, which they were asking $68 for, an also very fair price.

JJ_Colt45, Tanker 1/66 and Aikiguy like this.
  20. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    We can shoot "varmints" year round (you don't even need a hunting license to shoot feral hog any longer) BUT...

deer fall into a different category. You can get special permits to take additional deer but the permits are only valid during hunting season, you have to take a bunch of pictures to prove you have excess deer, blah blah blah...., submit requests, wait for some "wildlife biologist" determine how many special permits you can be given.

5 years ago, we went through the hassle and then received 3 doe permits... 3 days before the season ended. The next year we went through the process again, only to be given only 2 doe permits a week before the season ended. 3 years ago, we couldn't even get the damn biologist (there is only 1 guy who makes the determinations and he is over 200 miles away and doesn't give a damn about farmers) to return phone calls. Last year, we didn't even try to get any permits.

This year, we can shoot up to 2 does during the first 2 week of the season. Although we only have 150 acres on that tract, the brush and trees are so thick on the 50 acres of creek and pastures, with hills from washes, we set up 5 stands/blinds safely. We could probably set up 3 more sites easily. My brother, B-n-L, nephew and great-nephew have their own stands, in addition to mine. All are set up for downward shots. My great-nephew's is the closest at less than 200 yards from mine, the trees are so thick multiple full belts of 50 cal wouldn't punch through.

The problem we have is that taking out 5 to 7 (if we get 2 more today) will not alleviate the problem of too damn many deer. The current population would not be naturally sustainable if not for the fact that they are chowing down on crops.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Tanker 1/66 and Xr6x like this.