Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by granitestateofmind, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Beastchopper

Beastchopper Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Looks great! Mine is pretty cloudy, I just don't have time to finish it. How long did you sand it with what grit?

GeofS likes this.
  2. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Looks Great :thumbsup::thumbsup:

GeofS likes this.
  3. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Companion dagger to the sword I made a couple months ago.
    johns companion knife (2).jpg

Mike McCarter, Don W, Xr6x and 4 others like this.
  4. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    That’s cool looking vik. What’s the pommel made from. I’ve used a ball from a ball valve in the past.

GeofS likes this.
  5. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    piece of stainless round bar - buddy was practicing on the mill at work. then I drilled the centers on both sides with a 1/2 bit to drop the weight a little more after thinning it out a bunch. 8" blade, balance point is the back side of the guard. should do a number the next time he goes hog hunting.

Tanker 1/66 and GeofS like this.
  6. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Nice job, @1066vik. :thumbsup:

Can we get a group shot? :)

7. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    unfortunately no - because I gave the sword away labor day weekend.

8. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Mike McCarter, hawkhead, Xr6x and 6 others like this.
  9. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    That’s outstanding, daizee. :thumbsup:

daizee likes this.
  10. 1066vik

Nov 28, 2009
    110%?

11. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Glad you guys like it.
    Vik, that one is 100% 1:1 scale (if that's what you're asking)

Almost ground out another tonight, but got tied up with a couple sets of scales instead.

12. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm kinda into this pattern, as you can see, first one on the bottom.
    I have been informed that there will be aftermarket scales available for the BK-62 bolt pattern later this year from a third party vendor, which is good because I don't want to make handles for these! Though I'll give it a go at least once for "research"....

[​IMG]

13. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Look what you made me do...

Imagine how far I could have gotten in 3hrs working on just ONE blade instead of six! :rolleyes:
    But I had the 5" wheel running full-tilt with the remains of a proper 3M 984F 60-grit, and just kinda went to town on everything that needed that setup. Then switched to the platen and gave them all the same treatment there too...

[​IMG]

14. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    Awesomely cool! :)

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  15. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    I was going to try to get the AEB-L pieces ready for heat tonight, but learned there's a birthday happening at Knife Night, and I didn't have the energy to get all that done AND go out for dry ice AND then try to work a kiln cycle amidst the festivities. So I cranked out the first AuK4S in 1084 this afternoon. Hoo-boy, let me tell you: i think this is the one. Blade is a tad shorter as shown, but same max width at the belly, and the handle is slimmed just a touch, which you can see vs. the factory BK-62 scales. Grabbed this piece of 1084 thinking it was 0.156, turns out it's 0.165. Pretty beefy, but ground to a nice pre-edge thinness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    Very impressive, daizee. :thumbsup:

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  17. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Too freakin' cool man.

18. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    Wow, looks good, Daiz.

19. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Looks like the plunge line is farther forward. You can choke up on it now. I like it Daizee. A lot.:)

GeofS likes this.
  20. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Yep! The plunge is forward exactly for that reason. I find myself wrapping my finger around the front of the waddle on the BK-62, and then shaving my finger. Piloting a couple more ideas right now, hopefully will be finished tomorrow afternoon with pictures.

Mike McCarter, Tanker 1/66 and GeofS like this.