Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by granitestateofmind, Oct 5, 2014.

1. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Just completed this Brisa 100mm Farmer with slight modification to spine profile, added swedge and 600x polish with gray Scotch-Brite satin finish. A .188" peened brass bolster and red fiber spacer set off the nicely figured Australian gidgee handle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]r
    [​IMG]

2. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Xr6x likes this.
  3. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Thank you, GeofS.

4. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Very Nice Hawk :thumbsup::thumbsup: How many have you made this year?

5. ERRN

ERRN Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2015
    After finally getting my oldest son hooked on blades after giving him a BK7, he asked me if I could teach him some bladesmith skills, so I gave him some things to study and to come back with a design he wanted to try. Of course he comes back with a sketch of a big old seax with a hamon for his first project. He’s doing great though, and is very patient. It’s light years better than my first prison shank of a knife that I made at about the same age.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks Xr6x. This knife is #15.

Xr6x and knoefz like this.
  7. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    That’s it? Slacker...:D

hawkhead likes this.
  8. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    If I could some how post a pic, it never ever works for me.

Dogwood handles with the "Glow Stones" saved my Beckers from getting lost. I swap them out between knives. I should of gotten more...but they sold out. The clear one with glow stones goes on the most used Becker. Usually the 4 or the 2.

I saw they still have Tweener handle scales.

*Link removed. Not a paid dealer here*

If I had a tweener I'd get a set! I lose more knives in odd ways than breaking them. The smaller the more lose-able for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2020
  9. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks Aikiguy. ;)

Aikiguy likes this.
  10. ERRN

Aug 29, 2015
    Messing about while cleaning up my shop area and got distracted and started grinding on a big old chunk of 1084. This thing might chop something.
    [​IMG]

11. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    it might could.
    what do you think of the grizzly?

12. ERRN

Aug 29, 2015
    It gets the job done pretty well when you learn its quirks. I need to replace the platen, and that would be a huge upgrade. I freehand grind now, so the work rest isn’t really a big deal for me, but I’ll eventually add a bigger work rest surface onto it as well. I’d kill for variable speed function to be a me to do a lower speed slack belt, but for the most part I do pretty well with it. I’ll upgrade some day.

1066vik likes this.
  13. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Finally finished this commission that's been in progress awhile: a kosher-slaughtering-style knife for ritual sacrifice of wood-pellet bags. Imagine holding a large wood pellet bag in a headlock against your chest and sort of cutting its throat (or perhaps gut) to spill all the contents into the pellet stove hopper. Purpose-driven design. :) With sacrifice-traditional ram's horn scales over ruby red G10 liners. First use of flared tubes. Blade is 5+" of differentially hardened 1084.

(pix before sheath/edge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    GeofS, knoefz, Xr6x and 6 others like this.
  14. ERRN

Aug 29, 2015
    Beautiful work. I love the lines, the handle work, the chamfered holes...I’m taking notes on what I can do better next time.
    I just finished this one up this afternoon.
    [​IMG]

GeofS, Xr6x, Bkg and 6 others like this.
  15. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Finally completed the Puronvarsi 100mm Hunter. Blade was hand polished to 800x then gray Scotch-Brite satin finish, belly slightly modified, the profile and the spine reground to straight and beveled. The peened .187" brass bolster was fitted to the blade and epoxied into the Gidgee handle with a contrasting Redheart spacer. The handle shape is a modification of the shape I recently started using. It is the most comfortable handle for me so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ERRN

Aug 29, 2015
    Beautiful work. That handle looks like outstanding ergos.

Xr6x likes this.
  17. hawkhead

hawkhead

Aug 13, 2008
    Thank you ERRN. Sometimes all it takes are a couple of small adjustments.

18. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer

Oct 18, 2018
    Just learning about knives, and what works...
    And what doesn't... Walnut/battoning

[​IMG]

GeofS, Xr6x and knoefz like this.
  19. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Finally!!

This means fully in-house heat-treating. No more driving across the state to do stainless and A2!
    (Ok, I live in Rhode Island and get to eat pizza and drink beer over there, but still!)

[​IMG]

GeofS, hawkhead, The Warrior and 2 others like this.
  20. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Oh hell yes man, congrats!

daizee likes this.