1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Beckerhead's Other Choppers

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by knifejunkie1928, Mar 22, 2016.

1. granitestateofmind

granitestateofmind Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2013
    I apparently took no pictures at the gathering last October in which this beast cleaved straight through a piece of wood like it was a quantum string parting the space-time continuum. Someone has that picture, and it is very impressive.

2. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    Quantum kindling:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2012
    The "patrol matchaxe" as it came to be called was just a fun kinda research project. I dont want to upset anybody or start a debate, but I've never cared for the offset handle of the the BK4. I was having a conversation with Ethan and I joked with him that I would buy one but e eryone I found had a bent handle. Thus made me think, what if one was straightened out? So I made three of them just as exact to the 4 as I could but straightened out. Took them to the Beckerhead gathering for everyone to play with. I thought I did great. It was/is light and chopped pretty well. Of the three, I gave one to Ethan, Murph and Jerry took the other two home. I have had other people ask about them so I thought I may do a limited run of 10 total pieces, but I don't have any interest in doing more than that. I dont want to step on Ethans or Kabars toes. so that means id make 7 more. I know my son wants one, I'd probably keep one, a couple other people are on the list if I ever do it. Who knows. If I ever have the time I'd be game.

azwelke likes this.
  4. trailbum

trailbum Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Wow, the Baryonyx machete is huge.

Xr6x likes this.
  6. Jonny1280

Jonny1280 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Yeah, that pic really puts it into perspective.
    Holy cow! I had no idea it was that big!
    Metal Beaver indeed.

7. iwouldhurtafly

iwouldhurtafly

Dec 3, 2010
    Post up my most recent antique store find, Collins & Co Legitimus Juan Bimba 1247 Machete made in the USA. Put a decent edge on it to see if it was worth reworking completely and this thing blew me away, it's a very good chopper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the 9 and a neato Imacasa Bowie/Machete.

[​IMG]

Kinda looks like a big butter knife. Maybe Warrior could butter his toast with it or something ;)

Xr6x and Crag the Brewer like this.
  8. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    I'll bet that big Collins is a dandy. Nice.

9. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010
    The Junglas is a great chopper. I keep mine in the Jeep for trail clearing or general purpose things.

[​IMG]

10. dresnor

dresnor

Feb 1, 2011

For how simple the handle is, it is plenty comfortable. Remember it is designed to be used in both directions so it had to have a simple handle to make it feel right both ways.

Not sure if you have seen this or not, maybe it will help answer some questions.

[video=youtube;AIlojW7iZ50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIlojW7iZ50[/video]

Jeremy

11. JTmisterknifeguy

JTmisterknifeguy

May 22, 2013
    I keep meaning to throw on a few pics of these two antique early 1900s engineers bolos that I got from my wife's grandfather before he passed away.
    They're genuine Collins, and one I've shined up a bit and put a rude edge on it, the other needs re-handled, and I've left alone.

12. Jerry D.

Jerry D. Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Yup... I still need one of each of these. Might have to get the gawdawful-green junglas though.

Oh.... And I still need to get in on the M18 bandwagon.

13. granitestateofmind

granitestateofmind Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2013
    The Venom Green is not really that gawdawful....especially if it comes with orange G-10!

[​IMG]

That TOPS Machete .230 is pretty beastly, too.

14. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    Missing a couple Condors, Baryonyx machete, ASH-2, ChopHouses, and a bucket full of Tramotina and Imacasas. Not my most used knives but still some of my favorites.

[​IMG]

15. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2000
    I have one of these and I will bring it to the Beckerhead Gathering in a couple weeks :) Its big for sure! Very usable and versatile though:)

16. knifejunkie1928

knifejunkie1928 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2015
    My LT wright chopper showed up today. Here is a bk9 comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It makes the bk9 feel like a feather in the hand. That quarter inch O1 is heavy!

Crag the Brewer likes this.
  17. Aleous

Aleous

Aug 24, 2013
    Khukuri's, lots and lots of khukuri's. Currently have five at the moment and looking for number six. The only knife I've seen that can dethrone the 9 in anything is a good khukuri in chopping. Their are probably others but way above the price you could get a 9 or decent khuk for.

18. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2012

Might be some good news for you or anyone else that has considered a M-18. :)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...l-hitting-the-dealers?p=15915148#post15915148

19. NCSlice

NCSlice

Feb 22, 2015
    I've not had a chance to use this one...my daughter inherited it from her grandfather on my wife's side. The story goes that he was issued it in WWII but the war ended before he deployed. Then ha carried it to Korea where it saw a fare amount of use. She is so proud of this and had a ball showing it around at the 2015 spring gathering then again at Blade in June. I can't pry it from her hands to see any woods time lol.

It's a Village Blacksmith USMC Corpsmen machete...

Thanks Mistwalker for this great pic from the gathering!

[​IMG]

20. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    Can't forget Pradip's (gurkhaknives on BF) bonecutters:[​IMG]
    They are Not Light but as a tool around the homestead they're somethin' else