1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Belt size

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by TMatt204, Feb 5, 2017.

1. TMatt204

TMatt204

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi all, I am finally transitioning from a 1 x 30 belt sander to a larger one. I bought a larger one used last year, but it was an odd belt size (3 x 46). A friend is going to build me one using the wheels and motor. I am planning on a 72", but given that the width of the contact wheels are 3", I would like it to be a common size so I can find belts. With the width of the wheels, what belt size would be common? Thanks

2. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    2x72.

3. TMatt204

TMatt204

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks Josh

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    You can run 2X72, 2.5X72 and 3X72 on it. 2X72 will be the most available.

Having a couple 120 and 400 grit 3X72 belts around for cleaning up the bevels when flat grinding may be nice.

5. TMatt204

TMatt204

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks, I was wondering if I could use 2" belts with 3" wheels. I guess I could have two platens made to swap out... one 2" and one 3" platens. Thanks again