1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Belt Speed On Coote

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by redsquid2, Feb 27, 2017.

1. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Doing some reading on this, it seems so complicated.

I just want to know:

1hp motor
    8" contact wheel
    No step pulleys.

What is the belt speed?

I just want something that is not a runaway monster like my 2X42 Craftsman. After carefully shaping a profile, I hate putting it on the 2X42.

Thank you.

2. NC Biker

NC Biker

Apr 8, 2014
    You need to know the RPM of the motor. It's diameter of the drive wheel x Pi which is 3.1416 x RPM = inches per minute/12 equals feet per minute.

Example: 8" wheel x 3.1416 = 25.13 inches per revolution of the motor shaft X the motor RPM (1750) = 43,977.5 inches per minute/ 12 inches per foot = 3,664.8 feet per minute.

A 3450 RPM motor would have a belt speed twice that of a 1750 RPM motor using that same drive wheel size.

Bottom line: you really want a machine with a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) so you can control the speed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Thank you. Useful information.

4. NC Biker

NC Biker

Apr 8, 2014
    A little correction before the math police jump in. It's diameter of the drive wheel x Pi, not the circumference. The diameter x Pi gives you the circumference of the wheel. Hope that makes sense. The example is still correct.