Benchmade Leuku?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by goatslinger, May 4, 2020.

1. .577NE

.577NE Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Well said :thumbsup:

Lodd likes this.
  2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    This is interesting. I didn't know that Benchmade was producing a "Leuku". I've been somewhat curious of their "Puukko" but after handling a few Finnish made ones and eventually acquiring one, I am not particulary hard pressed to pull the trigger on the Benchmade version. I will agree with others here, their Leuku is rather short - in fact, some puukkos are not that much shorter. It seems to fall in between the pair I have pictured below.

[​IMG]

Also, here is a pic of the Benchmade version - every thread needs pics.

[​IMG]

lonestar1979 and 353 like this.
  3. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    Aren't those folding guard models normally called "Norwegian National Guard" knives John? It seems like Les Ristinen told me that.

4. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    I do not remember, but probably true as the folding guard was apparently mainly used by the Norwegian military. John

Sidehill Gouger likes this.
  5. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Here's John's pic of the folding guard leuku. Interesting the pivot pin goes through the blade. Stromeng is the maker.
    Thanks John
    [​IMG]

Rich

353 likes this.
  6. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    While on the topic of military knives (not leuku) = somewhat off topic: Here's two Swedish knives.I was told they were prototypes submitted to the
    Swedish military for adoption, but rejected. Remaining inventory or maybe later made for public sale.

[​IMG]

OK, off topic, sorry
    Rich

7. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Back 30 some odd years ago when I was heavy into what is now called "bushcrafting", we called it hunting, camping, or survival training. The only thing separating them was amount of gear, certain activities, and comfort level. Hunting and camping were relatively the same for the most part and survival training was very minimalist gear and different outdoor environments. All outdoor activities involved owning a knife. I usually carried more than one (especially survival training) that included fixed blade and a folder. Most times I had a 70 or 80's era Boy Scout knife (mine was Ulster) and a Schrade hunting knife. Somehow I managed to make them work and I'm still here after those 20+ years in the wilderness. I've been wanting the puuko and now want the leak too. my knife.jpg

Rich S and Quiet like this.
  8. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    My homemade leuku. Reground Oldforge blade, 7", high ridge line, sharpened scary sharp. Sheath old one, but need a deeper one. Copper pipe ferrule, copper butt plate; scrap hickory handle. I have 4 Finnish or Norwegian leuku, but wanted to try my own.

[​IMG]

Rich

EDIT: please excuse the old eyes.The blade is marked Forgecraft, not Old Forge.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    353, Pr3inar, .577NE and 2 others like this.
  9. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Beware, since I posted my homemade leuku above, I've seen a few on fleabay going as antique/vintage Nordic or mountain man knives. Or maybe they've been there before and I've just noticed them. So simple to make, I guess lots of folks are making them?
    Rich

10. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    Is that what you call vintage Forgecraft?

Rich S likes this.
  11. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Yes, Old Forge is the maker's/company name on the blade, no idea of blade's age. I use to pick these and Old Hickory blades up at yard sales for a dollar or two. Have three large Old Hickory knives that I cleaned up and use in the kitchen

Rich

EDIT: please excuse the old eyes.The blade is marked Forgecraft, not Old Forge.

Mr.Wizard likes this.
  12. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    I never heard it, that is all.

13. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Mr. Wizard

Sorry, I mis-read the marking ( old eyes, without my reader glasses). It does say Forgecraft, not old forge.
    Apologies for my poor vision and not being more observant.
    Rich

14. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Here's a nice oldie by Jooseppi Laiti; hand forged blade.

[​IMG]

Rich

John A. Larsen likes this.
  15. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I guess we can consider this thread closed? Sort of wandered off the benchmade topic anyway.
    Rich

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  16. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Rich S, are these traditional leukus flat ground with convexed edge or are they scandi-mora,helle type grind with full thickness untill the actual edge?

17. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Lonestar

Could be either depending on brand.

(how's that for answering your question
    without really saying anything?)

I checked mine.Most Finnish ones seem to be flat with a slight secondary edge bevel (some not so slight) The Helle seems to have a slight convex secondary bevel.

Rich

Last edited: May 27, 2020