Best Khukri where to buy, confused

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DenisC, Feb 22, 2021.

1. DenisC

DenisC

Feb 22, 2021
    Hi there,
    Have been searching threads here and I am confused which Khukri maker is good.
    Have been looking HI https://www.google.com/search?q=him...j46j0j69i60.3227j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    or KHHI https://www.thekhukurihouse.com/khhi-policy.

What I am looking is standard British Service Khukri for training non polished, 10 inch blade.

What I am confused about dozen other websites with similar names all claiming they are first and genuine. So I need some help in order to choose one really good knife from company which have history of contracting with Ghurkas.
    Other companies are fake or what, sorry I am just confused with lot of those companies.

Cheers!

2. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
  3. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    RayseM likes this.
  4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Howdy, Denis.

There are a good handful of quality khukuri makers out there. A lot of the confusion comes from the traditional sales puffery that start in the markets of Nepal and and are attempted to be translated in the digital realm. That is to say, if you were to walk the streets of Kathmandu probably ever vendor stall you passed would claim to have the best/sharpest/first khukuri;) It also stems from the fact that the governments of India and Nepal have multiple contracts with different companies. No one source is the real Ghurka khukuri provider. Actually, a good chunk of khuks used in the field are brought from home where the issued one is kept pristine for official duties and parades.

Anyway, in full disclosure, I am incredibly biased, obviously. I came to BFC about 20 years ago researching my first khukuri. In my time, I have not come across a company that stood behind their products as steadfast as Himalayan Imports. Furthermore, they really do everything in their power to make the lives better for the kamis (an untouchable caste) by offering good wages, medical care, and education opportunities. The act of the company focusing less on doing well and more on doing good stuck with me enough that I would later some of my own business dealings based on those lessons.

Anyway, I digress. If you are looking for a khuk of a specific make or model, HI can hook you up. Feel free to stop by the forum and ask any questions you might have. You can also email Ms. Yangdu Martino. She's forgotten more about khukuris than most will ever know.

Good luck and I hope you find the knife that serves you best no matter where you get it from:)

Mecha, Sonnydaze, RayseM and 3 others like this.
  5. DenisC

DenisC

Feb 22, 2021

Hi Steely,

Thank you for your time and effort.
    Yes what is really time consuming are all those same websites named Khukrihouse.
    I am by no mean knife or Khukri expert but always wanted proper Khukri and not some tourist copy.
    I heard very best for HI but just cant get difference in price between KHHI. It is like HI 265 USD vs KHHI 120 USD both shipping costs for Europe. Am I making big mistake if ordering KHHI and use it for camping, hiking and general show off instead HI?

Cheers!

Denis

6. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
  7. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    Quality costs more. Do you need an Audi, or can you get by with a Kia?

8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I can't really say that you would be illserved by the KHHI blade. Being in Europe always makes that a harder argument for HI because their general stock is shipped out of Reno, Nevada in the US. For most of its customer base, it makes HI the best choice simply because Yangdu can mail me out a khuk and I'll have it via priority mail within 3 or 4 days.

I will say that I have dealt with and witnessed how HI handles warranty claims, and Yangdu is one of the best in the business. So is it worth more money to purchase from HI? I'm not sure. However, I do feel more comfortable with their warranty and return policy.

Also keep in mind that HI frequently puts up Deals of the Day on the forum. You can save a LOT of money purchasing what Yangdu offers. Sometimes they are blemished but carry a full warranty, sometimes they are just unique one offs that showed up, you never know what she'll put up for sale :)

Best of luck to you, and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

RayseM and DocJD like this.
  9. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Having recently purchased my first khukri from HI I can say that Yangdu was awesome to deal with and got the knife I ordered right out.

DenisC likes this.
  10. DenisC

DenisC

Feb 22, 2021
    Yes thinking thinking that HI is more North America based, lucky for you!

Anway thanks a lot.

Cheers!

11. DenisC

DenisC

Feb 22, 2021
    Send them 2 emails, FB msgs and comments to check inbox. I am not buying from them even virgins forged that Khukri

Kailash Blades likes this.
  12. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I have several Service No. 1 and Jungle models from different Khukuri Houses. Most were well made in terms of good steel and solid handles but few were very refined. Many have overly thick spines and poor balance in hand but still make serviceable working blades. I made a special point when talking to each company that I wanted a good hard use working kukri and specifically mentioned that I didn’t want a soft tourist blade.

None of them comes close to the blade you will get from HI. The fit and finish is hard to beat and when you put it in your hand it will feel like your best friend. I would ask for a lighter one because some are overbuilt. My HI is the second from the bottom. A17FF7CD-152D-4B6B-A113-583D64CDF962.jpeg

dirc, DocJD and DenisC like this.
  13. DenisC

DenisC

Feb 22, 2021
    Y
    You have some collection!
    Thanks a ton for your time.
    Cheers!

DocJD likes this.
  14. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I would proceed cautiously with anything from KHHI. I ordered a standard service model several years ago and was excited to get my first "real khukuri". The horn handle was comfortable and solid but the steel was butter-knife soft. It sharpened up easily but lost the edge and would even roll slightly after light chopping through soft juniper branches. Maybe I got a lemon and others are better quality, but I dumped it in the barn and haven't touched it since.

I later ordered a tin chirra from HI and was immediately impressed with the quality, though I found the handle too thick for my large-ish hands (easily fixed with a rasp and sandpaper) and thought the blade was a touch too thick. Yangdu was easy to deal with and made for a pleasant transaction.

Tora Blades has a controversial history on BF but I ordered one that is currently my favorite Khukuri (I only researched on BF after ordering...). It arrived 3 months early (was quoted 4 month build time) and is lighter and thinner stock than I expected, however that makes it fast and easy in the hand. I've chopped and sliced extensively through soft wood, hard wood and bone with it and found the edge holds up beautifully and the handle fittings have remained nice and tight.

Good luck and please follow up with pics of whatever you choose.

15. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    $145.00 over a lifetime is negligible considering the quality and the confidence you will get buying from HI.
    PLUS as @Steely_Gunz writes - you are buying from a company that truly cares for their knife makers and not just exploiting others for profit. You can swing an HI Khukuri with pride. :thumbsup:

Steely_Gunz likes this.
  16. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    This is an informative and interesting post. It offers the same named brand, but the background material really makes this post a fun read. I've considered a Khuk just for clearing a few bushes out in back of the house, but I could likely use my hedge-trimmer just as easily. OF course, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun...

Steely_Gunz likes this.
  17. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    The entire kukri buying issue differs from any other knife purchase I have made. It is completely irrational, subjective, and emotional. Conversely, when I buy a skinning blade, while I do want something nice, in the end I have a deer hanging and I just need to get the darn hid off.

When I got my first kukri it was like a discovered the wheel and no one else could understand how it was going to change the world! I just held it, stared at it, read about it, and started buttering my toast with it. And still it was like I just gave free tours to my newly discover gold mine and no one would even bend down and pick up a free nugget.

My second kukri was an antique MkII from IMA and this one had a soul, it was very literally alive! Anyone that picks it up immediately zones out. You start asking it; where have you been, what have you seen?

The truth of the matter is, if you wanted a blade to do X or Y, there are much better choices for “every” task than a kukri. Saws work better at cutting wood and you can buy 7 of them for $30. Axes and hatchets split wood better, machetes cut brush better, and of course knives cut things better. And yet knowing all that I still have 30 kukri... It makes no sense so take that right off the table and just get something that works and you like.

18. Stahlmann

Stahlmann

Jan 21, 2021
    Not always. No.

There are some remarkable values and some real price-pigs in the knife world.

Jsega51 likes this.
  19. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    True but my comment is in response to the specifics of the original post about kuks.

20. Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 21, 2015
    Sorry we couldn't help you out on this one sooner @DenisC !
    We're usually very prompt in replying but denis slipped through the cracks in a major way. If anybody else has some questions about us or would like some guidance then feel free to reach out.
    Take care,
    Andrew