1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best Knife To Ride Out A Hurricane?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by GatorFlash1, Sep 2, 2019.

1. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    I'm thinking a nice Spyderco Pacific Salt might work. Best to all who have to ride out the beast. Our thoughts are with you. It is lousy way to spend Labor Day worrying about this monster hurricane. Let's hope it heads north towards Iceland.

NWPilgrim likes this.
  2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
  3. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    honestly, the one you have on you. A swiss army knife, kitchen knife, multitool, handy folder are all going to be far more useful than a hunter, skinner, tactical killer stiletto.

4. kwselke

kwselke

Jan 5, 2018
    I've been through five direct hits by storms whose names have been retired, and you are absolutely correct.

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  5. navman

Mar 4, 2013
    To be clear I have a ready bag for rescue/recovery ops that also has an e-tool, sturdy fixed blade and a folding saw...but those are specifically for recovery operation requirements, clearing pathways and obstacles after the storm.

GatorFlash1 and 115Italian like this.
  6. Biochemdawg

Biochemdawg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2018
    If it got bad I’d be leaning on machetes, hatches, axes, and other tools.

GatorFlash1 and Lapedog like this.
  7. kwselke

kwselke

Jan 5, 2018
    Swimming in tropical storm conditions with machetes, axes, and other tools might make you rethink your selections. :D

115Italian likes this.
  8. jaseman

jaseman Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 28, 2016
    If your at the point that you’re swimming, you’re beyond the usefulness of any edged tool.

Kaibab270 likes this.
  9. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    If I was in hurricane country I'd probably take my Lionsteel M4. Small enough for most tasks but stout enough for some heavier work. M390 doesn't hurt either.

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  10. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    No doubt if I was currently still in Florida, I'd retain my Buck 110 on my belt, and a stockman and a SAK Huntsman or scout/camp knife in my pocket.
    Not sure if I would add one of my CS machettes ("Heavy machette" and "Royal Kukri") to my carry or not.
    I suppose it would depend on the amount of damage in my area and what I was doing.

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  11. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Not entirely true. Ive been in flood waters, not deep enough to swim. There’s a lot of stuff floating around. You’re walking over and through a lot of debris. You can easily get caught up or tangled in something. A fixed blade could easily save your life especially if you’re swimming. Just one example.

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  12. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah, sort like how scuba divers like to have a knife in case of getting tangled in lines or nets or aquatic plants. I would probably want something with not a super pointy tip. If you are tangled up in murky, swirling water then you don’t want to accidentally puncture or perforate something/someone. More of a sheepsfoot or warncliffe shape with serrations. Spyderco Atlantic Salt?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    GatorFlash1 likes this.
  13. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    If I had to ride out a hurricane, I'd have my Tramontina 12" bush machete with me. In my little belt-carry survival kit, I'd have a SAK Hiker. In my pocket, I'd have my Case Peanut and probably my Endura. I might even have one of my fixed blade knives on me, like my Vanguard or Marttiini Bronze Guard Hunting Knife. Maybe even a neck knife like my Stiff Kiss or Fallkniven WM1. That should do it, lol!

Joe

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  14. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I've been through several. Including Katrina and Gustav. And a flood. And never needed more than what I usually carry. My zt0550 pretty much covered if. Even during flood rebuild, I carried never much more than a traditional, an improved wharncliff trapper, at the time.

Honestly, a chainsaw was much more useful and needed than a pocketknife.

Self defense always falls to the S&W M&P shield.

To be 100% honest, I don't see the draw "what knife foe xxx". One knife may be better at a particular cutting than another, but they'll all accomplish about any cutting given time and patience. You ain't gonna clear trees off your driveway with any knife or machete (after Gustav, we cut 3 out of my parents house, 4 off their driveway, 1 off my driveway, then 6 off the road just so we could open access to the main road). And if you need a bigger knife to cut firewood to cook (for one example), well, it's all wet anyway and you didn't prepare well. I do keep a ratmandu in the trunk of my car, but it's gonna be bad to need it. Put that preparation thought into something more productive.

15. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Amsler Hurricane Razor :cool:

GatorFlash1 likes this.
  16. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Yes. Most of the cutting after Hurricanes I've been through involve a chainsaw.
    Any decent pocket knife will do fine.

jackknife, SVTFreak and GatorFlash1 like this.
  17. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    ...and to top it all off...

GatorFlash1 and afishhunter like this.
  18. navman

Mar 4, 2013
    Most of the Navy Divers I worked with carried EMT shears underwater instead of a fixed blade for this very reason.

DocJD likes this.
  19. kwselke

kwselke

Jan 5, 2018
    Back in my sport diving days I actually had to use my knife underwater one time to cut a fellow diver free of monofilament fishing line. Mostly the knife was used on land for meal prep. For a hurricane knife you'll want something akin to a rescue knife or a bush knife, but most likely end up using it to open cans and meal prep chores. A decent quality fixed blade or larger folder is your best bet. I assure you that the folks in the Bahamas, who have just been through 24 hours of biblical class hurricane, that have knives on them right now are pleased they have whatever knife it is that they have.

DocJD likes this.
  20. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Folks in the Bahamas are going to need a lot of help. The death toll is surely to rise. I think it was more like a couple days of constant pounding by the hurricane winds and water.

Best knife is the one you have with you.