1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Best knifehandle ergonomics?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MP Morgan, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MP Morgan

MP Morgan

Mar 19, 2019
    Hi, I am looking for recommendation for best handle ergonomics for my next knife project. I would like to hear your experiences and see what you think is the best handle on a fulltang knife.

I am making an outdoor knife, but would like inspiration from knifes you find are having a good handle.

Going to make it from a 5,2 mm piece of Vanadis 4e, so it's gonna be a solid knife, able to take a beating.

I will post pictures of my current project tomorrow when I pick it up from hardening. It's an outdoor knife, also in Vanadis 4e. It's hardened to 62-63 hrc, and I will fit some 3D-printed scales to test the ergonomics before making the micarta ones.

This is the current project before flatgrinding and hardening. The next will be roughly the same size.
    [​IMG]

2. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Dalibor Seckar-"Daado" on the knifemakers forum, has some of the best ergos I've handled. He's a Croatian maker who works a lot in 52100. Great knives at great prices if you can get one. They go quick.--KV

3. MP Morgan

MP Morgan

Mar 19, 2019
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get inspiration there.
    I won't be buying any knives, I want to make them myself. Not because I can do better, but for the fun of it.

4. Munzer

Munzer Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Becker handles are very comfortable and ergonomic as are the Bark River Bravo handles. A Bravo style handle might be a decent choice for the knife you pictured.

5. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I like LT Wright's handles a lot. Simple flowing lines without any abrupt size changes. For a bushcraft/woodscraft knife, I prefer a straight handle as a curve at the butt is uncomfortable in a chest lever grip. For something bigger that might see some chopping, a little pinky ramp is nice. For something that will be a pure slicer, I like a nice rounded back to the handle.

LT GNS-like (custom) on the top and genesis on the bottom. The genesis is your standard broomstick style handle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Usually a swell at the palm is nice, with the thinnest parts of the handle's diameter being at the forefinger and pink spots. Becker does a great job with this on his tweener knives and the bigger handle is pretty good for a big knife handle. I like more grip than the stock handles but after some grip tape, they're nice.

I think I tend to like thinner handles that are tall/wide in the hand, think the becker bk62 based on the original kephart. I like slight to moderate thumb ramps on the spine too for harder use knives. The swamp rat ratweiler is a favorite big knife of mine.
    [​IMG]

Here's one me and forum maker worked out together that I really like a lot for a general purpose woods knife. The handle is his design, the blade has a lot more input from me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are my tastes at least. The biggest thing I've found is that heavily countoured grips rarely work out well for me when using the knife a lot and if they are contoured, the transitions need to be smooth and flowy, like the Busse and kin. Still, I think LT's simple handles have been the best for me, with Becker, esee, and Busse and kin (ratweiler and ratmandu especially) being close behind, depending on the model of course.

Deinos likes this.
  6. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I really like Bradford Guardian 4.5 and TOPS HOG 4.5 handle ergonomics.

fullsizeoutput_9e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_9f.jpeg

I still don't know about the Tex Creek, but It looks good/great to me.
    fullsizeoutput_a0.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019