1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Best Lock-up on a folder

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Skidoosh, May 3, 2019.

1. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 21, 2016
    What's the best lock-you have? What kind of lock on a folder?
    Spyderco GB1 for me.
    Axis lock, some movement but I can live with it.

I'm finding that little wiggles really bother me in the blade.

Dallas T likes this.
  2. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Recently received a Cold Steel American Lawman in s35vn . Smoothest out of box Tri-ad lock I've ever owned . Rock solid lockup but easy to open and close . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jux t, insta9ves and Gary W. Graley like this.
  3. slicecream

slicecream KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Cold Steel Triad Lock
    Every Cold Steel Voyager I've ever owned (until I messed one up by grinding the tang - and despite some play it is still strong). I've owned 3 XL Tantos, a Large Tanto, and a Large Clip point Voyager. All came rock solid. I don't own any Recon 1s any more, but I can't recall ever having any play in them either. My blue 4 inch Talwar also. The triad lock is hard to beat. I have a large Espada, and that one did actually have noticeable blade wiggle. Not visible, but I can feel it.

Spyderco Compression Lock
    I have owned two compression lock knives, a Sliverax and a Mantra 3. For such a seemingly small amount of material in the locking mechanism, they are boss. No play at all.

Spyderco Caged Ball Bearing lock
    I own two Manix 2 XLs with this lock, and they are devoid of blade play when the pivot is tightened enough to prevent a fidgety action. If I loosen the pivot some to allow a free swinging blade upon actuation of the lock switch, there is a minor side to side tick, but zero up and down.

Spyderco Liner Lock
    The liner lock on the Spyderco value line is surprisingly sturdy as well, as proved to me by the Tenacious and two of the three Resiliences I have owned. I received one with a bit of noticeable play, and a visibly thinner lockbar. It was the exception, with some minor blade play that was an annoyance, but not a hindrance to safe function. Aside from that one, my other Resiliences even beat the Military for in hand lock strength. Something about the Millie I own makes the blade wiggle when I grip it tightly. It's an annoyance, but like my one Resilience, not a deal breaker. And when I don't touch the lock bar - near perfect lock up.

Ruike Liner Lock
    I've only ever owned one knife, the P105-Q, and its liner lock is every bit as sturdy as my sturdiest Spyderco liner lock.

Spyderco Lockback
    I've owned two Enduras, and my newest one (Wharncliffe) has very solid lock-up.

All in all, the best lock I own, or have ever owned, is a tie between the Triad lock on my Cold Steel Voyagers (and probably Recon 1s, but I can't remember for sure) and the compression lock on my Mantra 3 and now my friend's Sliverax.

4. Rasmus80

Rasmus80

Sep 21, 2011
    Lockback in my Buck 112.

Little wiggles doesn't matter to me.

The Zieg likes this.
  5. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    I don't have many pocket knives but all of my CRK knives are solid when locked, zero blade play or wiggle.
    My spyderco southards are also solid.

6. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Banned Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Cold Steel tri-ad lock is number one, though my Recon 1 was difficult to actuate.

Spyderco CBBL is really strong as well. Though some may find it difficult to actuate, I feel it is a superior design to the Axis lock strength and security wise.

Compression lock is nice too.

I don't use my knives to the point where lock failure is a worry.

Another lock I really liked was the Nirk lock on my Brian Tighe Tighe Rod mini. Great design, wish he made a collaboration with ZT or Spyderco. Impossible to find, and I don't have that kind of spinach anyway.

slicecream likes this.
  7. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    Nothing can really beat a Triad lock for overall lockup. But there's lots of other knives like spydercos and CRKs that lockup with zero play too, they're just not as bomb proof as the Triad, but plenty strong enough for a lifetime of use as a folding knife doing normal knife tasks.

jux t, slicecream and DocJD like this.
  8. Curl of the Burl

Curl of the Burl Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    I’d say my inkosi’s and sebenza have solid lockups.

9. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    Both crkt walker blade locks.zero play when open or lock closed my fav

10. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Tri-ad lock for the win...other than that, a fixed blade to be sure if you don't want a blade to fold on you.

G2

11. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    My CRKs have the best lockup of the folders I own.

kniferbro and MarriedTheMedic like this.
  12. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    From what I own it has to be either Sypderco's CBBL or Compression.

slicecream and K.O.D. like this.
  13. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Old fashioned lockbacks are the most solid I've used. I prefer front locks (vs back locks), like this one on my PJ Tomes ...

B6708942-8127-4BC0-B582-0E92A5E80511.jpeg

14. Earl1

Earl1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 11, 2016
    Ive owmed alot of locking knives over the years. Out of what i have owned the spyderco native 5 is probably the strongest

15. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    The Triad has been the best lockup of all the knives I ve owned. My second choice is the compression lock.

jux t and DocJD like this.
  16. dsd5150

dsd5150 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2007
    for me, it is the Spyderco Caged Ball Bearing Lock and LionSteel ROK integral frame lock...

17. Gravy

Gravy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    My Small Sebenza 21 and my ZT 0562cf have the most solid lockup’s I own.

18. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    TriAd

But also liking the Scorpion Lock

willc and DocJD like this.
  19. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    CRK

20. PNWhovian

PNWhovian

Jan 16, 2015
    I’d give that to my TSF Gorgon and Chaves 228 Redencion.

David Richardson likes this.