1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

best multi-tool?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by unvisible805, Oct 8, 2013.

1. unvisible805

unvisible805

Jun 29, 2013
    i've reached a cooling period with my balisong collection and have been to start picking up more EDC items like a benchmade presidio auto, a small mag-lite (the version that takes 4 AAs)
    and now im thinking about a multi-tool.. i'd like it to be beautiful, have the most used common tools, i dont need one with things like a lanyard threader or other 'specialty' tools..
    a decent price would be key as well.. i've owned a few leathermans like the wave.. and it was good, but it didnt feel right.. not my 'style' i guess

2. Error 404

Error 404

Oct 21, 2011
    Well, an obvious choice is the Vic Spirit (and SwissTool). They come in a couple different flavors. I have several. Pick one up, I think you'll like it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. silkworm

silkworm Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2006
    The Vic Spirit is nice. It's my favorite.

4. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Mar 6, 2000
    The Vic is the only logical choice, if you can't find a LEatherman to suit you. They are higher-polished than the Leatherman, and can come with some of the 'known-quantity' implements like SAKs excellent scissors, can-open, awl, etc.

5. raindog101

raindog101

Jan 22, 2007
    I have the Spirit. Great multi-tool. But this Xmas, I'm giving myself a new Swisstool X. I tried a buddy's out last week, and it has some features that the Spirit doesn't. For example, the scissors. The Spirit has some pretty cheesy scissors, but the Swisstool has the full size SAK scissors...much better IMO. Also, I like the ruler on the side of the Swisstool. Handy for small measurements. That's really it, I suppose, but for a few extra ounces (4.25, to be exact), and about the same overall size, it's worth it.

6. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    My favorite, and the one I've been carrying the past three years, is the Vic Swisstool Spirit S, the one with the serrated blade instead of scissors. Before that, I've carried/used all manner of Leatherman tools, and even an original Vic Swisstool. For me, the Spirit S beats them all.

Jim

7. unvisible805

unvisible805

Jun 29, 2013
    awesome. thanks for all the replies! i think im gonna go with the Vic Swisstool X

8. pilgrimuk

pilgrimuk

Apr 18, 2006
    "Vic Swisstool X", good choice, I have several and think this one's by far the best. The chisel and awl are really useful.

9. unvisible805

unvisible805

Jun 29, 2013
    it comes with an owl?!
    [​IMG]

10. Mahoney

Mahoney

Mar 8, 2006
    "Best" really depends on what work you plan to do with the tool, and how much weight you are willing to carry. I'm a big fan of the Swisstool X (my EDC), but it is not a light tool, nor is it an inexpensive tool. I would suggest you also look at SOG, Paladin, Leatherman, Gerber 600 series, and maybe the Wenger Ranger series.

11. unvisible805

unvisible805

Jun 29, 2013
    yeah i took a look at quite a bit, but im gonna go with the swisstool x. i wont buy a gerber anything ever again. had way too many of their product fail and lots of their knives dull and were not able
    to keep a sharpening again.

12. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    For me, "best" equals most used. For me, it is a Leatherman Micra carried in the LFP. Great companion to an EDC knife. Larger multitool rides in my pack. Not used all that much comparatively. Micra many times a day. Wave a few times a week.

[​IMG]
    EDC Pair by Pinnah, on Flickr

13. comis

comis

May 17, 2013
    Another vote for Swisstool Spirit X. I collect MTs, and out of a few dozens of them, my current favorite is still the Swisstool Spirit X. The fit/finish/quality of this tool speaks volume.

14. Bollingern

Bollingern

Jun 30, 2013
    Leatherman Wave. When on deployment or at a gun range, the Leatherman MUT.

15. richard thurman

richard thurman

Nov 9, 2005
    gerber makessome tht I think are very good. you may want to try them out.

16. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Of all the multi-tools I've handled, I've found that the Victorinox SwissTool models have the highest production quality. The smoothest actions, the nicest finish, and the most accessible / usable tools.

I've never tried a SOG, but if buying a multi-tool for collecting I'd like one of theirs with the gear drive pliers.

17. Tomahawk Rob

Tomahawk Rob

Apr 7, 2012
    For 20 years my EDC multi-tool was a Gerber 600. I abused the crap out of it and it never let me down. I just recently retired it. The pliers tips weren't aligning anymore. I replaced the 600 with a SOG S60 N. I've owned the SOG for about 3 months. I haven't found anything to complain about yet. The tools are easily replaced by removing a screw.

18. Mahoney

Mahoney

Mar 8, 2006
    Based on the experiences of many of my students and co-workers, I would feel fairly confident recommending a Gerber 400 or 600 series tool. The other models from Gerber, not so much. SOG makes a good tool, but getting a model with the gear covers is essential, otherwise using the screwdrivers with those gears digging into your palm... I like many Leatherman models but what keeps the Swisstool on my belt most of the time are the "outside accessible" tools. Once you get used to that, it's hard going back to a MT that you have to open before you can flip out a tool.

19. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    at one point in time Al Mar's 4x4 was considered an absolute luxury.
    http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=4x4+Tool+Mate
    it was spartan and not too portable
    great as it was, but just not an all time favorite.
    which brings us to the victorinox swiss tool,
    simply a robust tool for ages!

20. Judicata

Judicata

Oct 19, 2013
    My favorite big tool is the Swisstool, the biggest tool I carry often is the SOG Paratool...with a Leatherman Juice being a close second. I also always carry either a small Gerber Shortcut or a Leatherman Squirt or Micra.

The best tool is the tool that suits your needs and that you can comfortably carry...I don't want to know I'm carrying a multi-tool until I need to bring it out.