Best overall Spyderco Bargain?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Uncle Timbo, Jun 29, 2020.

1. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    I think the lightweight series are the best value. I'm pretty partial to the native 5 but also like the manix LW. I've been meaning to try the stretch but haven't found a used one at a price I'm willing to pay that sticks around long enough.

With some of the G10 models moving to LW, I could see a millie LW being pretty sweet but's it's already pretty light already. I could be pretty content in the modern folder department with just my millie and natives. The native salt with some different colors would be nice, but I've already died mine so I wouldn't buy another anyway.

I liked my sage 2 and 3 but ended up selling them. I miss the 3 but the 2 had some big issues with my hand and the lock so I don't miss that one at all. I've been meaning to get the sage 1 as I do like the simplicity of liner locks over frame and compression locks.

Oloung1 and Uncle Timbo like this.
  2. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    I'm so sorry. I mean I don't know how to sensitively break it to everybody here that disagrees with my choices, but I'll try to be gentle and let you down easy......

YOU'RE ALL WRONG.

Therom likes this.
  3. rover

rover Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2004
    The disco'd Stretch 2 in G-10 and ZDP for 200 and change is giving them away. Have not had a chance to use mine but the quality rivals many customs I've owned. It's also, easily, the sharpest out-of-the-box folder I've owned.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  4. heresthedeal

heresthedeal

Oct 3, 2010
    Spydercard,
    payed about 15 for mine, (bought 2) try to get one now for less than a hundred, good luck.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  5. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    Manix2. Especially in any steel upgrade . Got mine in 20cv, red g10 for less than 140.00
    Should have bought two .

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  6. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    My vote goes to the para 3 lw or native lw. As far as I’m concerned unless you’re batoning with it they should do the same job as the G10 models, and CTS-BD1N is no slouch.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  7. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Now if Sal would just make a Sage I with carbon steel??? (dream...dream...dream...)

8. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Are there any Spydercos made out of carbon steel?

9. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Yep. Anything with 52100 blade steel.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  10. rpn

rpn

Mar 17, 2008
    Another vote for GB2 here. Great materials + great design + a great price = smoking deal. :D

blades&wrenches likes this.
  11. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    I know I'm putting you on the spot but any examples?
    Does anybody have a Spyderco 52100 sporting a patina?

12. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Uncle Timbo likes this.
  13. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    How cool is that? Thanks elde66, I had no idea that a Spyderco could show a natural patina.
    Now if I could just talk Sal into putting 51200 on a discontinued Sage I. :confused:
    Prolly not.

14. rover

rover Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 9, 2004
    I like the Chaparrals in stepped ti for 199.

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.