Best pattern for gents office/fruit/sausage/food

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by CoolBreeze, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    - whatever you choose, my preference would be for a stainless steel blade for sure (I can smell/taste the carbon in other blades and prefer no dulling/patination when it comes to direct contact with food) - and one that is long, slim and pointy - to sort out the pips, segments and cutting techniques while keeping the bolster/handle just clear

2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    True or a single-blade Sheepfoot, the problem being that most of these knives are carbon and for quick food prep in the office or picnics stainless is a better choice, no taste feedback either ;):eek:

Prester John likes this.
  3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    See they even work on asparagus:D

Brushed stainless blade, jigged delrin cost me 27 USD plus postage:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

G-10 is attractive stuff too

[​IMG]

4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    My favourite Lag is a lockback version and much smaller than the usual 11 or 12 cm. this one in Horn from Fontenille-Pataud at 9cm is now lost :eek::thumbsdown: but I still have two others ;)

[​IMG]

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Why has nobody suggested a CASE Sodbuster junior in Yellow Delrin? another great foodie type. I have no pix of mine.

Prester John and JohnDF like this.
  6. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Another nod to the Chambriard Compact.

[​IMG]

7. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I carry my own utensils to every restaurant we go to, I have hand tremors and I need flatware with extra weight, in my kit I carry a Case Slimline Trapper not so much for the weight but it is a much better steak knife than almost every restaurant hands you.

8. Llasi

Llasi Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2013
    A Laguiole is ideal. Trapper or Stockman too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dschal, Peregrin, Old Hunter and 9 others like this.
  9. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    Personally, I use a Peanut for those tasks. Just got to rotate the apple. Once done, I carve out the core. Then I make thin slices and eat them off the blade. The peanut makes very thin slices.

Wild Willie, JohnDF and chuck4570 like this.
  10. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Aug 12, 2010
    I have settled on a gec 48 thanks to magizm7. Beautiful improved trapper in Blackwood. Now time to shop for more cheese and apples!

.577NE, Peregrin, Jathes and 5 others like this.
  11. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Take a look at the Cudeman Vendetta. The large bolsters add a bit of weight, so the shadow version would be a better choice if you are going to regularly carry it.

[​IMG]

12. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    GEC Dixie Possum Skinner in whatever flavor handle scales. The elderberry jigged bone is awesome. Its thin, long enough blades, good W&T and F&F. Anyone that has one will agree.

Will Power likes this.
  13. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Case also offered the Slimline Trapper in a two blade version. Not sure if it is still in their current catalog but there are plenty out there in the secondary market - with the two blade Slimline you have useful blades for nearly all purposes. OH
    [​IMG]

Llasi, Lesknife, 315 and 6 others like this.
  14. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Ps. Buck offered a nearly identical knife in stainless steel construction, the BUCK 311. Discontinued, but on the secondary market regularly at reasonable prices. OH
    [​IMG]

Lesknife, 315, Prester John and 5 others like this.
  15. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    Assuming no blade lengh restrictions some sort of slimline trapper would be perfect

chuck4570 likes this.
  16. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Once you gain a patina on a carbon blade the taste pretty much goes away.

17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That would fit the bill for me, for sure. A handsome office/kitchen/outdoor knife. :cool::thumbsup:

CelloDan likes this.
  18. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You are the best at humour and quick come backs John :thumbsup::D
    Don’t ever change !
    I love it :)

JohnDF likes this.
  19. Zachary

Zachary Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2017
    The Bob Loveless “city knife” made by AG Russell I might be a perfect fit for you. Unfortunately they are no longer produced and can be difficult to find.
    0A75F290-1A51-45DA-8353-8F829FDD4D44.jpeg
    However, I think Fantoni still produces a very similar knife called the dweller which comes out of Italy.
    39B626BA-C970-4973-B2CA-242D332326F9.jpeg

Old Hunter, 315, Prester John and 3 others like this.
  20. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Of the choices listed I’d opt for the slimline trapper.

A couple of other options are a single-blade doctor’s pattern (arguably more “classy,” but not quite as efficient as a slicer) and a Victorinox Solo (not as classy, but great at slicing and spreading, and absolutely rust-proof).

C239D335-EB6D-488B-A46B-6A0E48210AD2.jpeg